access files on my other computer through internet ?

Hi all new here.

i want to take files off one computer to another computer in different
locations.

I was wondering what program i can use ?

i want to set up a program on one computer1 and let it be, and access files
off of that computer1 from my computer2 at home.
no intervention on computer1 but seting up the program once.
13 answers Last reply
More about access files computer internet

    shayne murray wrote:
    > Hi all new here.
    >
    > i want to take files off one computer to another computer in different
    > locations.
    >
    > I was wondering what program i can use ?
    >
    > i want to set up a program on one computer1 and let it be, and
    > access files off of that computer1 from my computer2 at home.
    > no intervention on computer1 but seting up the program once.

    Network shares?
    Remote Desktop control?
    Write them to CD/DVD?
    External USB/Firewire drive?

    What exactly are you saying - can you be more specific with what you are
    trying to do, your skill level and your resources.. Where you want to access
    the remote computer from - if there are any routers/Internet connections
    involved, etc?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    im network +
    i want to access files on another computer in my city hence internet
    i want a prog that can do that
    or can remote desktop do it ?

    Thanks

    shayne murray wrote:
    > im network +
    > i want to access files on another computer in my city hence internet
    > i want a prog that can do that
    > or can remote desktop do it ?

    If the other machine is setup to accept remote desktop connections (it is
    Windows XP Professional or 2000/2003 Server, has exceptions in its firewall
    for remote desktop, has a publically accessible IP address or the proper
    ports have been forwarded through any external router/NAT/firewall boxes or
    you can VPN to get behind said hardware firewall and the user account you
    want to use on the remote computer has a properly configured password and is
    a member of the group (or a member of a group that is a menber of the group)
    Remote Desktop Users) - yes.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    do you have to set a user with password on host computer?

    Is there anyway to do it without a password ?

    Thanks.

    shayne murray wrote:
    > do you have to set a user with password on host computer?
    >
    > Is there anyway to do it without a password ?

    Yes and No.
    You don't want that anyway..
    You don't setup a password and someone finds out - then they have full
    control on your computer to do what they want, eh?

    So - go with "No" and live happier. =)

    Also - look here:

    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP
    --
    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    im trying to go in under administrator with no pass and it says you cant log
    you on cause of account restrictions.

    if i do guest it ask host computer if im allowed change users, which is no
    good.

    Is there a software prog that will let me do this ?
    and maybe even let me do it while someone is using the host comper and not
    interfer with what there doing ?

    Thanks again.

    shayne murray wrote:
    > im trying to go in under administrator with no pass and it says you
    > cant log you on cause of account restrictions.
    >
    > if i do guest it ask host computer if im allowed change users, which
    > is no good.
    >
    > Is there a software prog that will let me do this ?
    > and maybe even let me do it while someone is using the host comper
    > and not interfer with what there doing ?

    No.. If you use Remote Desktop - it locks the computer as you - logging them
    off.
    If you use UltraVNC, it remotes in and allows you to see everything the
    person sitting in front of it sees - but you both have control at the same
    time (you can configure that - but they win - they have the power button.)

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    i dont want them to know im there.
    Im just wanting to get a few files and not bother them.
    can that prog do that ?
    and if not is there i prog like that ?

    Thanks man your a great help.

    > shayne murray wrote:
    > > im trying to go in under administrator with no pass and it says you
    > > cant log you on cause of account restrictions.
    > >
    > > if i do guest it ask host computer if im allowed change users, which
    > > is no good.
    > >
    > > Is there a software prog that will let me do this ?
    > > and maybe even let me do it while someone is using the host comper
    > > and not interfer with what there doing ?
    >
    > No.. If you use Remote Desktop - it locks the computer as you - logging
    them
    > off.
    > If you use UltraVNC, it remotes in and allows you to see everything the
    > person sitting in front of it sees - but you both have control at the same
    > time (you can configure that - but they win - they have the power button.)
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    shayne murray wrote:
    > i dont want them to know im there.
    > Im just wanting to get a few files and not bother them.
    > can that prog do that ?
    > and if not is there i prog like that ?
    >
    > Thanks man your a great help.

    If File and Print sharing is on/opened through the firewall - then you can
    just map the drive given you know of an account that has access to the
    Administrative or other file shares on the remote computer.

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    i dont know how to map a drive on the host computer over the internet

    I did that on my local network.

    microsoft windows network "network name" drives c d e

    that would be crazy if you could tell me how to set that up maping over
    internet.

    And im using that prog right now and it lags the host computer a tab when
    there browsing the internet.

    > shayne murray wrote:
    > > i dont want them to know im there.
    > > Im just wanting to get a few files and not bother them.
    > > can that prog do that ?
    > > and if not is there i prog like that ?
    > >
    > > Thanks man your a great help.
    >
    > If File and Print sharing is on/opened through the firewall - then you can
    > just map the drive given you know of an account that has access to the
    > Administrative or other file shares on the remote computer.
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    shayne murray wrote:
    > i dont know how to map a drive on the host computer over the internet
    >
    > I did that on my local network.
    >
    > microsoft windows network "network name" drives c d e
    >
    > that would be crazy if you could tell me how to set that up maping
    > over internet.
    >
    > And im using that prog right now and it lags the host computer a tab
    > when there browsing the internet.

    Start --> Run
    \\IP.Add.re.ss\Sharename

    If you have an administrative account (username/password) on the remote
    machine and the firewall is allowing file and printer sharing (by default -
    it does not) and they have the proper ports forwarded through any router/NAT
    device they might be behind and you are using the IP of the Roter/NAT
    device(if they have one - in other words the publically accessible IP, not
    the one handed out by the router and only truly defined within that little
    world) Also - simple file sharing should be turned off in order to do this
    properly.

    Replace IP.Add.re.ss and sharename appropriately.
    The IP.Add.re.ss is the publically accessible IP Address. The default
    administrative sharename is "C$" assuming they installed normally on the C:\
    drive.

    Normally - however, you do not want to do this, as it puts your computer at
    risk to have File and Print sharing on and open to the world - a great
    risk - password protection helps, but....

    Some assistance:

    How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    so that will work over the internet ?
    Do i have to set host as same microsoft windows network ?
    i dont have router on host i do where i am, so im thinking no port
    forwarding i guess ?

    i cant test right now im doing everything in lan right now.

    i like the java of the vnc very cool internet cafe and you can see whats
    going on on your computer, very cool.
    now i just need to learn how to hide the server icon running task in vnc. :P
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    For a safe and secure way to simply grab files you could setup either a VPN
    or SSH server on the PC you want to get files from.

    A free SSL-VPN solution, one that I use...You only need TCP Port 443 open on
    any firewall inbound.

    http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231

    The SSH method...You only need TCP Port 22 open on any firewall inbound.

    http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
    http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html
    http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/index.php

    How I do SSH...

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/SSH-RDP-VNC/RemoteDesktopVNCandSSH.html

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "shayne murray" <gogoleafs@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > so that will work over the internet ?
    > Do i have to set host as same microsoft windows network ?
    > i dont have router on host i do where i am, so im thinking no port
    > forwarding i guess ?
    >
    > i cant test right now im doing everything in lan right now.
    >
    > i like the java of the vnc very cool internet cafe and you can see whats
    > going on on your computer, very cool.
    > now i just need to learn how to hide the server icon running task in vnc.
    > :P

Computers Microsoft Internet Windows XP