access files on my other computer through internet ?

July 13, 2005 1:33:01 AM

Hi all new here.

i want to take files off one computer to another computer in different
locations.

I was wondering what program i can use ?

i want to set up a program on one computer1 and let it be, and access files
off of that computer1 from my computer2 at home.
no intervention on computer1 but seting up the program once.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 1:33:02 AM

shayne murray wrote:
> Hi all new here.
>
> i want to take files off one computer to another computer in different
> locations.
>
> I was wondering what program i can use ?
>
> i want to set up a program on one computer1 and let it be, and
> access files off of that computer1 from my computer2 at home.
> no intervention on computer1 but seting up the program once.

Network shares?
Remote Desktop control?
Write them to CD/DVD?
External USB/Firewire drive?

What exactly are you saying - can you be more specific with what you are
trying to do, your skill level and your resources.. Where you want to access
the remote computer from - if there are any routers/Internet connections
involved, etc?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

im network +
i want to access files on another computer in my city hence internet
i want a prog that can do that
or can remote desktop do it ?

Thanks

> shayne murray wrote:
> > Hi all new here.
> >
> > i want to take files off one computer to another computer in different
> > locations.
> >
> > I was wondering what program i can use ?
> >
> > i want to set up a program on one computer1 and let it be, and
> > access files off of that computer1 from my computer2 at home.
> > no intervention on computer1 but seting up the program once.
>
> Network shares?
> Remote Desktop control?
> Write them to CD/DVD?
> External USB/Firewire drive?
>
> What exactly are you saying - can you be more specific with what you are
> trying to do, your skill level and your resources.. Where you want to
access
> the remote computer from - if there are any routers/Internet connections
> involved, etc?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 13, 2005 1:52:44 AM

shayne murray wrote:
> im network +
> i want to access files on another computer in my city hence internet
> i want a prog that can do that
> or can remote desktop do it ?

If the other machine is setup to accept remote desktop connections (it is
Windows XP Professional or 2000/2003 Server, has exceptions in its firewall
for remote desktop, has a publically accessible IP address or the proper
ports have been forwarded through any external router/NAT/firewall boxes or
you can VPN to get behind said hardware firewall and the user account you
want to use on the remote computer has a properly configured password and is
a member of the group (or a member of a group that is a menber of the group)
Remote Desktop Users) - yes.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

do you have to set a user with password on host computer?

Is there anyway to do it without a password ?

Thanks.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:36:00 AM

shayne murray wrote:
> do you have to set a user with password on host computer?
>
> Is there anyway to do it without a password ?

Yes and No.
You don't want that anyway..
You don't setup a password and someone finds out - then they have full
control on your computer to do what they want, eh?

So - go with "No" and live happier. =)

Also - look here:
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/Rem...

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

im trying to go in under administrator with no pass and it says you cant log
you on cause of account restrictions.

if i do guest it ask host computer if im allowed change users, which is no
good.

Is there a software prog that will let me do this ?
and maybe even let me do it while someone is using the host comper and not
interfer with what there doing ?

Thanks again.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 2:45:10 AM

shayne murray wrote:
> im trying to go in under administrator with no pass and it says you
> cant log you on cause of account restrictions.
>
> if i do guest it ask host computer if im allowed change users, which
> is no good.
>
> Is there a software prog that will let me do this ?
> and maybe even let me do it while someone is using the host comper
> and not interfer with what there doing ?

No.. If you use Remote Desktop - it locks the computer as you - logging them
off.
If you use UltraVNC, it remotes in and allows you to see everything the
person sitting in front of it sees - but you both have control at the same
time (you can configure that - but they win - they have the power button.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

i dont want them to know im there.
Im just wanting to get a few files and not bother them.
can that prog do that ?
and if not is there i prog like that ?

Thanks man your a great help.

> shayne murray wrote:
> > im trying to go in under administrator with no pass and it says you
> > cant log you on cause of account restrictions.
> >
> > if i do guest it ask host computer if im allowed change users, which
> > is no good.
> >
> > Is there a software prog that will let me do this ?
> > and maybe even let me do it while someone is using the host comper
> > and not interfer with what there doing ?
>
> No.. If you use Remote Desktop - it locks the computer as you - logging
them
> off.
> If you use UltraVNC, it remotes in and allows you to see everything the
> person sitting in front of it sees - but you both have control at the same
> time (you can configure that - but they win - they have the power button.)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 13, 2005 3:01:49 AM

shayne murray wrote:
> i dont want them to know im there.
> Im just wanting to get a few files and not bother them.
> can that prog do that ?
> and if not is there i prog like that ?
>
> Thanks man your a great help.

If File and Print sharing is on/opened through the firewall - then you can
just map the drive given you know of an account that has access to the
Administrative or other file shares on the remote computer.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

i dont know how to map a drive on the host computer over the internet

I did that on my local network.

microsoft windows network "network name" drives c d e

that would be crazy if you could tell me how to set that up maping over
internet.

And im using that prog right now and it lags the host computer a tab when
there browsing the internet.

news:o ggcni1hFHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> shayne murray wrote:
> > i dont want them to know im there.
> > Im just wanting to get a few files and not bother them.
> > can that prog do that ?
> > and if not is there i prog like that ?
> >
> > Thanks man your a great help.
>
> If File and Print sharing is on/opened through the firewall - then you can
> just map the drive given you know of an account that has access to the
> Administrative or other file shares on the remote computer.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

July 13, 2005 3:25:33 AM

shayne murray wrote:
> i dont know how to map a drive on the host computer over the internet
>
> I did that on my local network.
>
> microsoft windows network "network name" drives c d e
>
> that would be crazy if you could tell me how to set that up maping
> over internet.
>
> And im using that prog right now and it lags the host computer a tab
> when there browsing the internet.

Start --> Run
\\IP.Add.re.ss\Sharename

If you have an administrative account (username/password) on the remote
machine and the firewall is allowing file and printer sharing (by default -
it does not) and they have the proper ports forwarded through any router/NAT
device they might be behind and you are using the IP of the Roter/NAT
device(if they have one - in other words the publically accessible IP, not
the one handed out by the router and only truly defined within that little
world) Also - simple file sharing should be turned off in order to do this
properly.

Replace IP.Add.re.ss and sharename appropriately.
The IP.Add.re.ss is the publically accessible IP Address. The default
administrative sharename is "C$" assuming they installed normally on the C:\
drive.

Normally - however, you do not want to do this, as it puts your computer at
risk to have File and Print sharing on and open to the world - a great
risk - password protection helps, but....

Some assistance:

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

so that will work over the internet ?
Do i have to set host as same microsoft windows network ?
i dont have router on host i do where i am, so im thinking no port
forwarding i guess ?

i cant test right now im doing everything in lan right now.

i like the java of the vnc very cool internet cafe and you can see whats
going on on your computer, very cool.
now i just need to learn how to hide the server icon running task in vnc. :p
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 9:51:32 AM

For a safe and secure way to simply grab files you could setup either a VPN
or SSH server on the PC you want to get files from.

A free SSL-VPN solution, one that I use...You only need TCP Port 443 open on
any firewall inbound.

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231

The SSH method...You only need TCP Port 22 open on any firewall inbound.

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/
http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html
http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/index.php

How I do SSH...