Trouble with Wireless notebook seeing network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 12, 2004 2:41:02 AM

I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a DSL
/cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the internet
just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the desktop -
furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the wireless
notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.

Please advise on what could be causing the issue?

D.M.
November 12, 2004 8:58:31 AM

tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a
> DSL
> /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the
> internet just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the
> desktop - furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the
> wireless notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
>
> Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
>
> D.M.

If the desktop can see the notebook but the laptop can't see the
desktop, does the desktop have a firewall running? If so, make sure
you've added the IP range of your lan as Trusted in the desktop's
firewall settings.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

"Malke" wrote:

> tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a
> > DSL
> > /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the
> > internet just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the
> > desktop - furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the
> > wireless notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
> >
> > Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
> >
> > D.M.
>
> If the desktop can see the notebook but the laptop can't see the
> desktop, does the desktop have a firewall running? If so, make sure
> you've added the IP range of your lan as Trusted in the desktop's
> firewall settings.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
>Hi Malke-

No, I'm sorry to tell you about what is on the box and not, I apologize.
First off, they both have SP2 on the notebook and desktop so that factor is
in place. I turned off both Firewall software. On the notebook, only Norton
Internet Security is on the notebook, we disable it. If I remove the software
on the notebook would it allow to see the desktop computer as being present?

For the funny portion of the situation is that the PC can see the notebook
just fine, but otherwise - the notebook can not see the network at all. Do
you suggest removing the Norton software completely and taking it from there
to see if the problem get resolved?

You mention about the Router - LAN, we only reduced the speed at which data
is being sent - but we discovered that the notebook had some network bridge
installed (probably from a downloaded plug-in software called "iTunes"),
which my customer installed over a month ago and since discovered these
problems. For the network was working wonderfully before that. He removed
the Norton Security software recently off the desktop because he heard many
reports that Norton is no good, and that it leads into security issues. But,
he never removed it off the notebook and continued to use it there. But, I am
wondering if the 'bridge network' that gotten installed is still resident in
some way and is really causing some residual effects?

Do you still feel it is the Trusted lan in the desktop's firewall
settings, still at this point? Or should I remove the Norton off the notebook
or try something else?

Dave -
Related resources
November 12, 2004 2:24:32 PM

tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:

> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both
>> > on a DSL
>> > /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see
>> > the internet just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing
>> > the desktop - furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files,
>> > but the wireless notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
>> >
>> > Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
>> >
>> > D.M.
>>
>> If the desktop can see the notebook but the laptop can't see the
>> desktop, does the desktop have a firewall running? If so, make sure
>> you've added the IP range of your lan as Trusted in the desktop's
>> firewall settings.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>>Hi Malke-
>
> No, I'm sorry to tell you about what is on the box and not, I
> apologize. First off, they both have SP2 on the notebook and desktop
> so that factor is
> in place. I turned off both Firewall software. On the notebook, only
> Norton Internet Security is on the notebook, we disable it. If I
> remove the software on the notebook would it allow to see the desktop
> computer as being present?
>
> For the funny portion of the situation is that the PC can see the
> notebook
> just fine, but otherwise - the notebook can not see the network at
> all. Do you suggest removing the Norton software completely and
> taking it from there to see if the problem get resolved?
>
> You mention about the Router - LAN, we only reduced the speed at
> which data is being sent - but we discovered that the notebook had
> some network bridge installed (probably from a downloaded plug-in
> software called "iTunes"),
> which my customer installed over a month ago and since discovered
> these
> problems. For the network was working wonderfully before that. He
> removed the Norton Security software recently off the desktop because
> he heard many
> reports that Norton is no good, and that it leads into security
> issues. But, he never removed it off the notebook and continued to
> use it there. But, I am
> wondering if the 'bridge network' that gotten installed is still
> resident in some way and is really causing some residual effects?
>
> Do you still feel it is the Trusted lan in the desktop's firewall
> settings, still at this point? Or should I remove the Norton off the
> notebook or try something else?
>
> Dave -

I would never recommend disabling a firewall. Both computers should have
a firewall with the lan added as Trusted. An easy way to make sure both
computers can share files is to add each user account and password to
both machines and make sure they are in the same workgroup. I don't
know why you'd want to change the speed of anything. Here are some
links to help you with networking. I'd work through MVP Hans-Georg
Michna's troubleshooter first:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
http://www.wown.info/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm - Small Network Troubleshooter by
Hans-Georg Michna

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 12, 2004 6:31:01 PM

Do you have a firewall (Zonealarm?) installed on the desktop? If so you must
tell it to allow your laptop in. Add its IP / host name to the (Zonealarm
trusted list under Zones) firewall program.
Halexi
"tlc_13200@hotmail.com" wrote:

> I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a DSL
> /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the internet
> just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the desktop -
> furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the wireless
> notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
>
> Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
>
> D.M.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 12, 2004 7:39:36 PM

If you would like to work this through one-on-one, email me at
carey@careyholzman.com and I can walk you through the steps.

Carey

"tlc_13200@hotmail.com" <tlc13200hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:E0ACB7EE-B520-447D-8A9F-4AF0EDE91916@microsoft.com...
>I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a DSL
> /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the
> internet
> just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the desktop -
> furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the wireless
> notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
>
> Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
>
> D.M.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 13, 2004 2:18:01 PM

Hi Halexi-

No firewall (i.e. 'ZoneAlarm', or 'Norton Internet Security) is on the
desktop, only the notebook, should that be disabled?

I can't see that that will resolve the problem?

D.M.

"Halexi" wrote:

> Do you have a firewall (Zonealarm?) installed on the desktop? If so you must
> tell it to allow your laptop in. Add its IP / host name to the (Zonealarm
> trusted list under Zones) firewall program.
> Halexi
> "tlc_13200@hotmail.com" wrote:
>
> > I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a DSL
> > /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the internet
> > just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the desktop -
> > furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the wireless
> > notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
> >
> > Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
> >
> > D.M.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 13, 2004 2:19:02 PM

Hi Carely Holzman-

I will drop you an e-mail.

Thanks -

D.M.

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> If you would like to work this through one-on-one, email me at
> carey@careyholzman.com and I can walk you through the steps.
>
> Carey
>
> "tlc_13200@hotmail.com" <tlc13200hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:E0ACB7EE-B520-447D-8A9F-4AF0EDE91916@microsoft.com...
> >I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on a DSL
> > /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see the
> > internet
> > just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the desktop -
> > furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the wireless
> > notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
> >
> > Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
> >
> > D.M.

November 13, 2004 2:51:53 PM

tlc_13200@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi Carely Holzman-
>
> I will drop you an e-mail.
>
> Thanks -
>
> D.M.
>
> "Carey Holzman" wrote:
>
>> If you would like to work this through one-on-one, email me at
>> carey@careyholzman.com and I can walk you through the steps.
>>
>> Carey
>>
>> "tlc_13200@hotmail.com"
>> <tlc13200hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a desktop computer, and a wireless notebook which are both on
>> >a DSL
>> > /cable connection with a router in place. The computers can see
>> > the internet
>> > just find, however, the notebook has trouble seeing the desktop -
>> > furthermore, the desktop can see the notebook files, but the
>> > wireless notebook prevents it from seeing the desktop.
>> >
>> > Please advise on what could be causing the issue?
>> >
>> > D.M.

You mentioned in your other post that you have firewalls. Make sure the
internal network IP range is added to the firewall as Trusted.

Malke
--
!