Can't Log Off remotely

July 13, 2005 3:15:32 PM

I have a notebook with XP Pro, latest updates and service packs
on it, running on a network with several other computers running XP also. I
used to be able to use Remote Desktop Connection to log into it and do
maintenance, then Log Off. In the past couple of weeks, it has stopped
allowing me to Log Off. I can click Start, Log Off, then it asks me if I'm
sure, I click "Log Off", and that box goes away, then nothing. Its like I
never requested to be Logged Off.

Before the problem started, I used to be able to do the Norton2005
LiveUpdates via Remote Desktop Connection, and at the end it would say it
needed to reboot, I'd click OK, and it would reboot. Now it doesn't do that
anymore. It just sits there like I'd never requested a reboot. Its not
locked up or anything, I can continue working on it.

I can do Start, Disconnect. That is successful. Then I have to get up, go
walk to the notebook, unlock it using the same login & password, and *then*
I can do Start, Log Off. Or I can do Start, Shutdown, Restart the computer.
Everything works locally, but only Disconnect works remotely.

Last week, another computer started acting similarly. When the user
connects from home using Remote Desktop, she is unable to Log Off. It hangs
up during the "Saving Your Settings..." stage. She finally has to close the
connection using the red X. That leaves her logged in sometimes, and
sometimes by the next morning it has logged her out.

We have 20 other workstations that work fine using Remote Desktop. Both my
login and the other users' login work fine on the other workstations.

More about : log remotely

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 8:19:23 PM

Can anyone help with this? I've been having to use shutdown.exe to reboot
the machine to log me out. Not good...

"TAG_ME" <TAG_ME@online.nospam> wrote in message
>I have a notebook with XP Pro, latest updates and service packs
> on it, running on a network with several other computers running XP also.
> used to be able to use Remote Desktop Connection to log into it and do
> maintenance, then Log Off. In the past couple of weeks, it has stopped
> allowing me to Log Off. I can click Start, Log Off, then it asks me if
> I'm
> sure, I click "Log Off", and that box goes away, then nothing. Its like I
> never requested to be Logged Off.
>
> Before the problem started, I used to be able to do the Norton2005
> LiveUpdates via Remote Desktop Connection, and at the end it would say it
> needed to reboot, I'd click OK, and it would reboot. Now it doesn't do
> that
> anymore. It just sits there like I'd never requested a reboot. Its not
> locked up or anything, I can continue working on it.
>
> I can do Start, Disconnect. That is successful. Then I have to get up,
> go
> walk to the notebook, unlock it using the same login & password, and
> *then*
> I can do Start, Log Off. Or I can do Start, Shutdown, Restart the
> computer.
> Everything works locally, but only Disconnect works remotely.
>
> Last week, another computer started acting similarly. When the user
> connects from home using Remote Desktop, she is unable to Log Off. It
> hangs up during the "Saving Your Settings..." stage. She finally has to
> close the connection using the red X. That leaves her logged in
> sometimes, and sometimes by the next morning it has logged her out.
>
> We have 20 other workstations that work fine using Remote Desktop. Both
> my login and the other users' login work fine on the other workstations.

June 14, 2012 4:09:41 AM

Believe it or not, what worked for me was actually hitting the Close(X) button of the Remote Desktop Connection and hitting OK to the window prompt that followed. After, logging back in and now clicking log off. This time it activated the logoff process to occur.
!