Xp Pro to XP Pro over Remote Desktop

tonky

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

I want a very simple solution for our book keeper to run the office Sage
accounts remotely from home. The "Server" will be an XP Pro box running only
the Sage accounts application which is also accessible direclty from the LAN
(this is a basic small office peer to peer workgroup). We have a broadband
connection to the Internet from the LAN and intend insstalling an XP Pro PC
and broadband at the book keepers home.

Remote Desktop seems to cater for this, however I would appreciate knowing
the easiest way of setting it up.

Having set up numerous SBS's using RWW, which requires Certificate
Authentication from SBS, how do we achieve similar ease of connectivity using
just 2 PC's?

All info points to enabling RDC on the Host with permitted user rights and
then setting up a VPN through the Wizard. Is it as simple as that? Do I point
the VPN to the Public IP and then forward port 3389 to the PC Ip address in
the Router?

Many thanks

Tonks
--
Always hands on and keen to learn.

This page may be of some help getting this up and running...Note that you
don't need a VPN in order to run RDP from a remote location since the native
RDP data link is encrypted.

You might, however, consider running RDP through a VPN tunnel for added
security. Personally I use this free SSL-VPN solution. In this case you only
need TCP Port 443 forwarded through any firewall/NAT/router at the server
end of the link.

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231

--