IP address

Hi

Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?

Tonky
--
Always hands on and keen to learn.
3 answers Last reply

    No, but it does make life easier...

    You need to use the public IP address or a fully qualified domain name in
    order to access the remote PC over the public internet. If your behind a
    router then you would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN
    IP of the remote PC, and call using the public IP address or a fully
    qualified domain name of the router.

    If your ISP provides a static IP address, one that never changes, use that.
    If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, one that changes every so often,
    then you might look into using one of the dynamic DNS services that map the
    dynamic IP address to a fully qualified domain name. I use No-IP.com (FREE).
    In my case I simply use the name to call.

    Example:

    myalias.noip.com

    Additional dynamic dns information...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5FNetwork%5FHome%2FConnections

    In all cases the PC behind the router, ie. the PC you want to access/control
    with RDP, should be using a static private LAN IP address.

    http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Tonky" <Tonky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?
    >
    > Tonky
    > --
    > Always hands on and keen to learn.

    Thanks Al,

    If I set up both machines with a standard static IP address, ie
    192.168.16.1, is this likely to cause a conflict?

    Should the IP address on the Remote PC be in the same range as the Router ie
    192.168.0.1 (Router) & 192.168.0.2 (PC)?

    Thanks

    Tonky
    --

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > No, but it does make life easier...
    >
    > You need to use the public IP address or a fully qualified domain name in
    > order to access the remote PC over the public internet. If your behind a
    > router then you would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN
    > IP of the remote PC, and call using the public IP address or a fully
    > qualified domain name of the router.
    >
    > If your ISP provides a static IP address, one that never changes, use that.
    > If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, one that changes every so often,
    > then you might look into using one of the dynamic DNS services that map the
    > dynamic IP address to a fully qualified domain name. I use No-IP.com (FREE).
    > In my case I simply use the name to call.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > myalias.noip.com
    >
    > Additional dynamic dns information...
    >
    > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5FNetwork%5FHome%2FConnections
    >
    > In all cases the PC behind the router, ie. the PC you want to access/control
    > with RDP, should be using a static private LAN IP address.
    >
    > http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "Tonky" <Tonky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?
    > >
    > > Tonky
    > > --
    > > Always hands on and keen to learn.

    This page illustrates how my home LAN addressing is setup to use static
    private LAN IP addresses for my two XP Pro desktops.

    http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/The_Illustrated_Network.html

    In my case I use 192.168.11.X addresses based on my use of a Buffalo WBR-G54
    router.

    In the case of Remote Desktop it does not matter what the remote address
    range is in, ie. I can RD into my home LAN from a remote PC with a
    192.168.11.11 address to my home XP Pro box that also uses a 192.168.11.11
    address.

    --

    "Tonky" wrote:

    > Thanks Al,
    >
    > If I set up both machines with a standard static IP address, ie
    > 192.168.16.1, is this likely to cause a conflict?
    >
    > Should the IP address on the Remote PC be in the same range as the Router ie
    > 192.168.0.1 (Router) & 192.168.0.2 (PC)?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tonky
    > --
    > Always hands on and keen to learn.
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > No, but it does make life easier...
    > >
    > > You need to use the public IP address or a fully qualified domain name in
    > > order to access the remote PC over the public internet. If your behind a
    > > router then you would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN
    > > IP of the remote PC, and call using the public IP address or a fully
    > > qualified domain name of the router.
    > >
    > > If your ISP provides a static IP address, one that never changes, use that.
    > > If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, one that changes every so often,
    > > then you might look into using one of the dynamic DNS services that map the
    > > dynamic IP address to a fully qualified domain name. I use No-IP.com (FREE).
    > > In my case I simply use the name to call.
    > >
    > > Example:
    > >
    > > myalias.noip.com
    > >
    > > Additional dynamic dns information...
    > >
    > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5FNetwork%5FHome%2FConnections
    > >
    > > In all cases the PC behind the router, ie. the PC you want to access/control
    > > with RDP, should be using a static private LAN IP address.
    > >
    > > http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >

    > > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >

    > > "Tonky" <Tonky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?
    > > >
    > > > Tonky
    > > > --
    > > > Always hands on and keen to learn.

Static IP IP Address Microsoft Windows XP