Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IP address

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 13, 2005 5:58:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Hi

Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?

Tonky
--
Always hands on and keen to learn.

More about : address

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 9:24:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

No, but it does make life easier...

You need to use the public IP address or a fully qualified domain name in
order to access the remote PC over the public internet. If your behind a
router then you would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN
IP of the remote PC, and call using the public IP address or a fully
qualified domain name of the router.

If your ISP provides a static IP address, one that never changes, use that.
If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, one that changes every so often,
then you might look into using one of the dynamic DNS services that map the
dynamic IP address to a fully qualified domain name. I use No-IP.com (FREE).
In my case I simply use the name to call.

Example:

myalias.noip.com

Additional dynamic dns information...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...

In all cases the PC behind the router, ie. the PC you want to access/control
with RDP, should be using a static private LAN IP address.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)


Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...


"Tonky" <Tonky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:13352BA5-57C7-4E35-A1C6-3E0D14FB5793@microsoft.com...
> Hi
>
> Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?
>
> Tonky
> --
> Always hands on and keen to learn.
July 27, 2005 8:32:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks Al,

If I set up both machines with a standard static IP address, ie
192.168.16.1, is this likely to cause a conflict?

Should the IP address on the Remote PC be in the same range as the Router ie
192.168.0.1 (Router) & 192.168.0.2 (PC)?

Thanks

Tonky
--
Always hands on and keen to learn.


"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

> No, but it does make life easier...
>
> You need to use the public IP address or a fully qualified domain name in
> order to access the remote PC over the public internet. If your behind a
> router then you would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN
> IP of the remote PC, and call using the public IP address or a fully
> qualified domain name of the router.
>
> If your ISP provides a static IP address, one that never changes, use that.
> If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, one that changes every so often,
> then you might look into using one of the dynamic DNS services that map the
> dynamic IP address to a fully qualified domain name. I use No-IP.com (FREE).
> In my case I simply use the name to call.
>
> Example:
>
> myalias.noip.com
>
> Additional dynamic dns information...
>
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...
>
> In all cases the PC behind the router, ie. the PC you want to access/control
> with RDP, should be using a static private LAN IP address.
>
> http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
>
> --
>
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
>
> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> benefit of all of us...
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
>
> "Tonky" <Tonky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:13352BA5-57C7-4E35-A1C6-3E0D14FB5793@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?
> >
> > Tonky
> > --
> > Always hands on and keen to learn.
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 5:07:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

This page illustrates how my home LAN addressing is setup to use static
private LAN IP addresses for my two XP Pro desktops.

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/LAN/The_Illustrat...

In my case I use 192.168.11.X addresses based on my use of a Buffalo WBR-G54
router.

In the case of Remote Desktop it does not matter what the remote address
range is in, ie. I can RD into my home LAN from a remote PC with a
192.168.11.11 address to my home XP Pro box that also uses a 192.168.11.11
address.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
benefit of all of us...



"Tonky" wrote:

> Thanks Al,
>
> If I set up both machines with a standard static IP address, ie
> 192.168.16.1, is this likely to cause a conflict?
>
> Should the IP address on the Remote PC be in the same range as the Router ie
> 192.168.0.1 (Router) & 192.168.0.2 (PC)?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tonky
> --
> Always hands on and keen to learn.
>
>
> "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > No, but it does make life easier...
> >
> > You need to use the public IP address or a fully qualified domain name in
> > order to access the remote PC over the public internet. If your behind a
> > router then you would need to forward/open TCP Port 3389 to the private LAN
> > IP of the remote PC, and call using the public IP address or a fully
> > qualified domain name of the router.
> >
> > If your ISP provides a static IP address, one that never changes, use that.
> > If your ISP provides a dynamic IP address, one that changes every so often,
> > then you might look into using one of the dynamic DNS services that map the
> > dynamic IP address to a fully qualified domain name. I use No-IP.com (FREE).
> > In my case I simply use the name to call.
> >
> > Example:
> >
> > myalias.noip.com
> >
> > Additional dynamic dns information...
> >
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com/ow.asp?Remote%5F...
> >
> > In all cases the PC behind the router, ie. the PC you want to access/control
> > with RDP, should be using a static private LAN IP address.
> >
> > http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
> >
> > --
> >
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >
> >
> > Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights...
> >
> >
> > "Tonky" <Tonky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:13352BA5-57C7-4E35-A1C6-3E0D14FB5793@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Does an RD host need to have a static IP address?
> > >
> > > Tonky
> > > --
> > > Always hands on and keen to learn.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
!