Combining multiple mini DVD-Rs

At the end of our recent family vacation, I copied 3 mini-DVD-Rs
(created on my daughters Sony camcorder) onto the hard drive of my
laptop. After we got home, I intended to consolidate them onto 1 DVD,
make copies, and send them to the other family members.

Using Studio 9, I imported them, added a simple menu pointing to the
start of each, then created the DVD. When I played the DVD, I was
disappointed with the quality. Not terrible, but a distinct step down
from the original.

My guess was the degradation came from "re-rendering". Hoping it might
be due to my menu addition, I tried again this time without the menu
.... but got the same quality loss.

After much research (and learning) on the internet and some poking
around at the DVD file structure, I think that what I want to do is not
possible ... although I never came across a definitive statement.

So, my strategy now will be to write each of the 3 to separate DVD-Rs
and add a 4th of the lesser quality consolidation. (Thank goodness I
don't have a big family!)

Before I proceed with the "wasteful" process, thought I'd at least
check to see if my approach is the "best" alternative.

Any comments would be appreciated.

On 1 Sep 2005 03:14:17 -0700, "xramx" <xramx@comcast.net> wrote:

>At the end of our recent family vacation, I copied 3 mini-DVD-Rs
>(created on my daughters Sony camcorder) onto the hard drive of my
>laptop. After we got home, I intended to consolidate them onto 1 DVD,
>make copies, and send them to the other family members.
>
>Using Studio 9, I imported them, added a simple menu pointing to the
>start of each, then created the DVD. When I played the DVD, I was
>disappointed with the quality. Not terrible, but a distinct step down
>from the original.
>
>My guess was the degradation came from "re-rendering". Hoping it might
>be due to my menu addition, I tried again this time without the menu
>... but got the same quality loss.
>
>After much research (and learning) on the internet and some poking
>around at the DVD file structure, I think that what I want to do is not
>possible ... although I never came across a definitive statement.
>
>So, my strategy now will be to write each of the 3 to separate DVD-Rs
>and add a 4th of the lesser quality consolidation. (Thank goodness I
>don't have a big family!)
>
>Before I proceed with the "wasteful" process, thought I'd at least
>check to see if my approach is the "best" alternative.
>
>Any comments would be appreciated.

1.4GB x 3 should fit on 1 DVD-R fine. My guess is the Sony camcorder
recorded AC3 Dolby Digital audio and Studio 9 converted it to PCM
audio, stereo PCM audio could take up to 25% of the DVD-.R space. AC3
Dolby takes around 10%.

See if Studio 9 can do what TMPGEnc Author can do, (it might)

TMPGEnc Author has a 30 day free trail. You should be able to put 3 x
1.4GB mini-dvd-r on one 4.38GB DVD-R without transcoding
/re-rendering. If you do re-rendering, make sure output is set NTSC
with resolution set for 720 x 480.

TMPGEnc Author allows one to import VOB sets directly into a title
set, (clip the VOB from the front and/or and back, combine VOB sets,
create menus and set chapter points). It will optionally remove any
existing chapter points when importing the VOB set. This is a very
simple authoring package for title sets that have a single audio
track. TMPGEnc Author does work with AC-3, although it won't play the
AC-3 sound when authoring without the optional AC-3 add-on. It has a
30-day trial.
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda.html
http://www.videohelp.com/