Access other computers in network

July 13, 2005 10:35:40 PM

Hi

This question might be very simple to many of you here. Please help
me; I am new to networking.

I have a small network of computers connected by a access point. (I
have 4 computers one is hard wired directly to the Linksys router and
other 3 are connected wirelessly) I can ping any computer with in the
network. The OS of all the computers is windows XP Pro. Now if I open
"My Network Places" from any computer and click on " View workgroup
Computers" nothing is shown. Now my questions are

1. Why are the other computers not shown though all belong to same
workgroup? (If I click on properties of "My Computer" and look at the
work group name all computers have the same name)
2. I want to backup all machines from one machine. So can I access "My
Documents" folder and of all computers from one computer?

Thanks

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Work-Remotely-Access-compu...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1303252
Anonymous
July 15, 2005 5:19:04 PM

This happened to me as well. Do you have any virus protection that is
running a personal firewall or do you have the XP firewall inplace? If so,
try disabling them and see if this works. If so, then you can reset them up
and addthese machine and the tasks you want to do as exceptions in the
personal firewall.