Pioneer DVR-220 recorder question

When I use the "Video/Audio adjust menu" to set the quality for
external inputs I can turn VNR (video noise reduction) on or off when
creating my own user preset but can't seem to adjust the amount of
noise reduction.

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. The only effect on this
field, as far as I can tell, is the left and right cursor and that
just turns VNR off or on.

Is this normal? The manual says it should "adjust the amount of noise
reduction applied to the video signal".

All this is on page 72 of the operating manual.

Thanks.

"Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> When I use the "Video/Audio adjust menu" to set the quality for
> external inputs I can turn VNR (video noise reduction) on or off when
> creating my own user preset but can't seem to adjust the amount of
> noise reduction.
>
> Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. The only effect on this
> field, as far as I can tell, is the left and right cursor and that
> just turns VNR off or on.
>
> Is this normal? The manual says it should "adjust the amount of noise
> reduction applied to the video signal".
>
> All this is on page 72 of the operating manual.
>
> Thanks.

It's a binary adjustment i.e ON or OFF.

--
Dave

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 18:54:06 +0100, "Dave Emerson"
<Dave_dot_Emerson@LineOne.net> wrote:

>"Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>> When I use the "Video/Audio adjust menu" to set the quality for
>> external inputs I can turn VNR (video noise reduction) on or off when
>> creating my own user preset but can't seem to adjust the amount of
>> noise reduction.
>>
>> Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. The only effect on this
>> field, as far as I can tell, is the left and right cursor and that
>> just turns VNR off or on.
>>
>> Is this normal? The manual says it should "adjust the amount of noise
>> reduction applied to the video signal".
>>
>> All this is on page 72 of the operating manual.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
>It's a binary adjustment i.e ON or OFF.

OK. Good to know that at least it's not defective.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

I have been using RW disks just to be sure everything is ok before I
make a final burn.

It occurred to me that it would be a nice feature to be able to write
directly to my hard disk on the computer in standard video format (VOB
files) and ignore first burning on the recorder. I could make a final
burn using Nero. That way I could first check it for quality, errors
and/or further editing etc before a final burn. Perhaps using a simple
USB connection or something similar?

Another possible advantage would be greater speed because the analog
to digital transfer would not be slowed up writing to the internal
burner on the recorder.

It's seems to me to be a reasonable thing to be able to do. I'm not
talking about the recorders with the internal hard drives.

Do they make such a consumer level desktop recorder?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:00:43 -0500, Serial # 19781010 <none@none.net>
wrote:

>It occurred to me that it would be a nice feature to be able to write
>directly to my hard disk on the computer in standard video format (VOB
>files) and ignore first burning on the recorder.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to rip the content off the DVD to
your computer's hard disk?

--

Greatest Movie Line Ever
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:11:30 GMT, spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:00:43 -0500, Serial # 19781010 <none@none.net>
>wrote:
>
>>It occurred to me that it would be a nice feature to be able to write
>>directly to my hard disk on the computer in standard video format (VOB
>>files) and ignore first burning on the recorder.
>
>Wouldn't it be a lot easier just to rip the content off the DVD to
>your computer's hard disk?

Sorry I wasn't very clear...

I'm transferring VHS to DVD.

I'm feeding the output of a VCR into the DVR-220 and letting it burn a
DVD so I can put all of my video into one format (DVD).

When I have a DVD to DVD transfer I do just as you suggest using DVD
Shrink and Nero and the DVD drives on the computer- a Asus E616P ROM
and a NEC 3520AW burner.

But this is a transfer of of VHS movies to DVD movies.

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:11:30 GMT, spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:00:43 -0500, Serial # 19781010 <none@none.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>It occurred to me that it would be a nice feature to be able to write
>>>directly to my hard disk on the computer in standard video format (VOB
>>>files) and ignore first burning on the recorder.

VOB files are DVD authored files, not files from a capture.

External devices capture to Mpeg2 (or DV). These are then authored using an
authoring program, applying menus, etc after which the VOB and other files
for the DVD are created.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:22:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:

>VOB files are DVD authored files, not files from a capture.

OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:22:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:
>

>>VOB files are DVD authored files, not files from a capture.
>>
> OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
> can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
> hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?

Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
banned in the United States.

ME

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Why do you need to copy VHS to your computer? I have a LiteOn 5045stand
alone with 160GB HD in it. You can copy your VHS directly to the HD and then
do rudimentary editting, i.e. splitting, setting chapter marks, thumbnails,
etc. and then burn a DVD. VHS Macrovision is cracked with a simple patch
from a CD-ROM file available on-line. You can get the LiteOn for $299.00

"Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:22:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:
>

>>VOB files are DVD authored files, not files from a capture.
>>
> OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
> can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
> hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:22:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:

>These are then authored using an
>authoring program, applying menus, etc after which the VOB and other files
>for the DVD are created.

What authoring program do you recommend for simple editing - removing
unwanted content, creating menus, etc.

--

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:22:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:
>
>>These are then authored using an
>>authoring program, applying menus, etc after which the VOB and other files
>>for the DVD are created.
>
> What authoring program do you recommend for simple editing - removing
> unwanted content, creating menus, etc.
>

> --
>
> Greatest Movie Line Ever
> http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/MovieLine.wmv

Try Ulead Movie Factory 4 (there is a free trial).

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:52:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:

>> OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
>> can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
>> hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?
>>

>Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
>banned in the United States.

Another way of protecting "intellectual" property rights I assume?
Banned by whom?

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 20:52:50 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:
>
>>> OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
>>> can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
>>> hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?
>>>

>>Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
>>banned in the United States.
>>

> Another way of protecting "intellectual" property rights I assume?
> Banned by whom?

The MPAA worked with the commerce department.

"Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote in message

> "Serial # 19781010" <none@none.net> wrote in message

>>>Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
>>>banned in the United States.
>>>

>> Another way of protecting "intellectual" property rights I assume?
>> Banned by whom?
>
> The MPAA worked with the commerce department.

Or was it Macrovision with justice? In any case, there are ports on many
DTV cable boxes for firewire...they are all disabled in the US. Pioneer and
Panasonic both have set-tops that can be connected to a computer...but these
models are only available outside Canada and the US.

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:23:24 -0600, "ME" <Not@this.One> wrote:

>Why do you need to copy VHS to your computer?

Why not?
I already have a HD and burner that is probably at least as good as
the one on any recorder plus the possibility of editing with much more
power than any recorder with a HD.

In fact I would prefer a recorder that would function like the Pioneer
DVR-220 but without a burner that would simply transfer the files to
my computer HD without all the hassles of a capture card. Cheap simple
and effective. Plus if the HD or burner goes bad I can easily and
cheaply replace them myself. What would such a device cost-maybe 125$?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable question to me.

My guess is the real problem is not technical but economic (copy
protection).

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:28:08 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:

>Or was it Macrovision with justice?

Speaking of Macrovision.....

I have an old commercial VHS tape that I have never been able to copy.
Instead of the rolling and color shifting of Macrovision when you try
to copy it the screen goes completely black while the audio is normal.
My stabilizer box has no effect on it.
Got any idea what it's called?

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:28:08 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:
>

>>Or was it Macrovision with justice?
>
> Speaking of Macrovision.....
>
> I have an old commercial VHS tape that I have never been able to copy.
> Instead of the rolling and color shifting of Macrovision when you try
> to copy it the screen goes completely black while the audio is normal.
> My stabilizer box has no effect on it.
> Got any idea what it's called?

Your symptoms do not preclude Macrovision.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On , "ME" <Not@this.One> wrote:

>Why do you need to copy VHS to your computer? I have a LiteOn 5045stand
>alone with 160GB HD in it. You can copy your VHS directly to the HD and then
>do rudimentary editting, i.e. splitting, setting chapter marks, thumbnails,
>etc. and then burn a DVD. VHS Macrovision is cracked with a simple patch
>from a CD-ROM file available on-line. You can get the LiteOn for $299.00

Why not take the original DVD to your computer to do the editing and
final dubbing?

A DVDR is not a friendly platform for editing.

--

In rec.video.dvd.tech on Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Alpha wrote :

>> OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
>> can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
>> hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?
>>
>Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
>banned in the United States.

But that doesn't mean they aren't obtainable - same with *anything* else
that's 'banned'...
--
Paul 'US Sitcom Fan' Hyett

"Paul Hyett" <pah@nojunkmailplease.co.uk> wrote in message
> In rec.video.dvd.tech on Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Alpha wrote :
>>>>
>>> OK. But the question still remains-any stand-alone recorders where you
>>> can bypass the internal burner and write the files directly to the
>>> hard disk on your computer instead of burning a DVD?
>>>
>>Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
>>banned in the United States.
>>
> But that doesn't mean they aren't obtainable - same with *anything* else
> that's 'banned'...

Not with a tuner that works NTSC here in the US.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 01:44:28 -0700, "Alpha" <none@none.net> wrote:

>>>Not in the US. Recorders with firewire connections to a computer were
>>>banned in the United States.

>> But that doesn't mean they aren't obtainable - same with *anything* else
>> that's 'banned'...

>Not with a tuner that works NTSC here in the US.

I thought that DVDRs had both NTSC and PAL on each unit.

--

>>> But that doesn't mean they aren't obtainable - same with *anything* else
>>> that's 'banned'...
>
>>Not with a tuner that works NTSC here in the US.
>
> I thought that DVDRs had both NTSC and PAL on each unit.

Even if they can decode DVDs, the tuners and frequencies are different
across the globe.