Ask for Remote Assistance /host name issue

I cannot receive (ask) "remote assistance" but have no trouble
receiving a request for remote assistance and logging onto computers.
I have xp home & trying to connect to xp professional (also tried xp
home with same results). I have dial up and the xp professional has
cable. Both have firewalls and both have been disabled.
We are trying to connect through windows messenger. (email has also
failed).
I get no messages saying it cannot connect but the xp prof states
that "cannot resolve host name" I cannot find anything about the
message in microsofts knowlege base. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Work-Remotely-Remote-Assistance-host-issue-ftopict395520.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1303251
1 answer Last reply
More about remote assistance host issue

    offshrink <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

    > I cannot receive (ask) "remote assistance" but have no trouble
    > receiving a request for remote assistance and logging onto computers.
    > I have xp home & trying to connect to xp professional (also tried xp
    > home with same results). I have dial up and the xp professional has
    > cable. Both have firewalls and both have been disabled.
    > We are trying to connect through windows messenger. (email has also
    > failed).
    > I get no messages saying it cannot connect but the xp prof states
    > that "cannot resolve host name" I cannot find anything about the
    > message in microsofts knowlege base.

    If the requesting PC is behind a NAT router, then Remote Assistance requests
    will fail unless the router has UPnP support enabled, and the requesting PC
    has an Exception enabled in Windows Firewall for "UPnP framework".

    --
    Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
    rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Connection Windows XP