VPN connection problems

I'm trying to setup a vpn connection so I can access my computer
remotely. I have a Linksys Router WRT54GS with latest firmware v4.50.6.
I have IPsec, pptp, and l2tp passthrough enabled with port 1723 being
forwarded to the correct ip address. I have disabled all firewall
software. I try to establish a vpn connection to myself using the local
ipaddress and it gives me error 800. Likewise, using my wan ip address
fails also. Anyhelp setting this up would be appreciated. Thanks

ps ipsec services and remote access services are enabled and started.

Drew

Simply put VPN through some consumer grade routers can be problematic at
times. For PPTP VPN you can run the test detailed in the "VPN Traffic"
section of this page...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

Also note that for PPTP VPN you only need TCP Port 1723 forwarded through
the router and ensure that "PPTP Pass Through" is enabled. The other
settings for IPsec and L2TP are not needed and should be disabled if not
used.

With all of that said, my work around to a similar issue is to use this free
SSL-VPN. It works very well and you only need TCP Port 443 forwarded on your
router.

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231

--