Windowsxp pro remote control

I wish to set this up to help out an elderly friend when she has trouble
with her machine. I am a novice to this setup and.I have read of opening and
or forwarding port TCP 3389, do I have to do? this if so on both machines or
one and How is it done..Here is my setup I use a D-Link router to network
both of my own machines my host is a 1.7 Gh,512 RAM, pent4 and I use
windowsxp pro. My friends machine is pent4, 1GH.256 Ram and uses windowsxp
Pro She Uses a cable High speed IP with a modem and I use a telephone High
Speed IP with a modem,I have downloaded info to set up remote control but
have not set about doing so as yet any help would be appreciated thanks

This page will help with Remote Desktop...

For help forwarding TCP Port 3389 through her router (if she has one) see
this site...

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

You also might want to consider Remote Assistance if you want her to see
what your doing while you troubleshoot, etc...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"James Mc Neilage" <mmcneilage@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I wish to set this up to help out an elderly friend when she has trouble
>with her machine. I am a novice to this setup and.I have read of opening
>and or forwarding port TCP 3389, do I have to do? this if so on both
>machines or one and How is it done..Here is my setup I use a D-Link router
>to network both of my own machines my host is a 1.7 Gh,512 RAM, pent4 and I
>use windowsxp pro. My friends machine is pent4, 1GH.256 Ram and uses
>windowsxp Pro She Uses a cable High speed IP with a modem and I use a
>telephone High Speed IP with a modem,I have downloaded info to set up
>remote control but have not set about doing so as yet any help would be
>appreciated thanks

"James Mc Neilage" <mmcneilage@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I wish to set this up to help out an elderly friend when she has trouble
>with her machine. I am a novice to this setup and.I have read of opening
>and or forwarding port TCP 3389, do I have to do?
NO!

this if so on both machines or
> one and How is it done..

Your setup doesnt matter!

Here is my setup I use a D-Link router to network
> both of my own machines my host is a 1.7 Gh,512 RAM, pent4 and I use
> windowsxp pro. My friends machine is pent4, 1GH.256 Ram and uses windowsxp
> Pro She Uses a cable High speed IP with a modem and I use a telephone High
> Speed IP with a modem,

You really should start to set it FIRST