REMOTE DESKTOP FRUSTRATIONS

The problem is that two ports have to be opened in the modem which connects
to Optus. On these accounts an IP address is allocated dynamically at
login. So everytime you reboot the modem (once every couple of weeks on
average) you get a new IP address. The matter is further complicated by the
modem being attached to wireless LAN which allocates an internal IP address
to each attached device. I can open up the ports necessary on the modem but
they do not stay open after a reboot. Also with the firewalling in the
router, the opening of the ports through the modem gets blocked. I have
opened the same ports on the router but the IP address of the attached
devices is different from the IP addresses allocated by the modem. I have
to have a network bridge between the two which complicates matters by
another factor again. I think I need a combined wireless router/modem but
that would only overcome two of the problems? Does anyone know THE solution
to my problem? Please.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

1. Use a dynamic DNS service to work around the problem of DHCP from Optus.
See http://www.dyndns.com/ for one such service and more explanation.

2. You need to assign a static IP to the workstation in the same subnet as
the wireless router, but outside it's DHCP range.

3. In the wireless router, forward the necessary port(s) to the IP of the
workstation.

If you need more detail, see http://www.practicallynetworked.com/ for some
good general tutorials on networking.
--

"ddwords" <ddwords@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The problem is that two ports have to be opened in the modem which
> connects
> to Optus. On these accounts an IP address is allocated dynamically at
> login. So everytime you reboot the modem (once every couple of weeks on
> average) you get a new IP address. The matter is further complicated by
> the
> modem being attached to wireless LAN which allocates an internal IP
> address
> to each attached device. I can open up the ports necessary on the modem
> but
> they do not stay open after a reboot. Also with the firewalling in the
> router, the opening of the ports through the modem gets blocked. I have
> opened the same ports on the router but the IP address of the attached
> devices is different from the IP addresses allocated by the modem. I have
> to have a network bridge between the two which complicates matters by
> another factor again. I think I need a combined wireless router/modem but
> that would only overcome two of the problems? Does anyone know THE
> solution
> to my problem? Please.

"ddwords" <ddwords@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The problem is that two ports have to be opened in the modem which
> connects
> to Optus.

I think you may be mistaken here. I've personally never had to open ports
on the modem - just the router.

> On these accounts an IP address is allocated dynamically at
> login. So everytime you reboot the modem (once every couple of weeks on
> average) you get a new IP address.

Yup, so you fake a fixed address with DDNS. Or, you can purchase a fixed
IP from the ISP - but that tends to be expensive.

> The matter is further complicated by the
> modem being attached to wireless LAN which allocates an internal IP
> address
> to each attached device.

Yes, so you set the machine to have a fixed LAN IP outside the router's DHCP
range.

> I can open up the ports necessary on the modem but
> they do not stay open after a reboot. Also with the firewalling in the
> router, the opening of the ports through the modem gets blocked. I have
> opened the same ports on the router but the IP address of the attached
> devices is different from the IP addresses allocated by the modem. I have
> to have a network bridge between the two which complicates matters by
> another factor again. I think I need a combined wireless router/modem but
> that would only overcome two of the problems? Does anyone know THE
> solution
> to my problem? Please.

The first two steps are to use DDNS to simulate a static WAN IP, and to set
fixed IP on the LAN for the machine you're trying to control.

For DDNS, you'll need to connect to a service, which can be free, though the
client can carry a modest cost. Be aware that when you're setting it up,
it's easy to over-update the DDNS address and get the name you chose
blocked. Resist temptation.

Look here for more details:
http://www.dyndns.org/
http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/res/faqs/ddns.html
http://renegademinds.com/Default.aspx?tabid=58

or just google DDNS services.

I have a few clients who do this and it works quite well. Yes, you *may*
need to open a port on the router, but probably *not* on the modem.

For the local IP, what I usually do (to avoid having to reconfigure both the
router AND the target PC, and to avoid problems if the router is reset to
factory accidentally) is to note the stock LAN DHCP range the router
provides, then set the target with a fixed address just below that -
counting down. So, on one router, the DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.100
and I will set the first fixed IP at 192.168.1.99. Print servers always
get fixed IPs so they don't move around.

HTH
-pk