Mac to External Hard Drive to PC?

I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
external drive and load it on my PC?

As long as the hard drive is using the fat32 file system, you will have no
problem.

Remember that FAT32 has a limit of 4 GB per file, so I hope your VOB files
are sized accordingly.

P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote in

P.C. Ford wrote:
> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
> external drive and load it on my PC?
I'm no Mac expert, but why not temporarily move the DL to the Mac?

-Bill

Great article regarding this here:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sharefwdrive.html

--
Brian Alves
Executive Producer

"P.C. Ford" <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
> external drive and load it on my PC?

P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
> external drive and load it on my PC?

Even if the drive has been formatted for a Mac, have a look at MacOpener
<http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/index.html> - or Macdrive at
<http://www.mediafour.com/> - I know one of them at least you can
download and use for a limited time which may help you for a small one
off job?

--
Antony
Pull the plug to reply.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:06:27 -0700, P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com>
wrote:

>I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
>not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
>external drive and load it on my PC?

Thank you for your helpful replies. It sounds like the best
alternative is to buy the Mac reading utility and a firewire/usb2
drive. May do that. Or....I may just slice the project up into four
pieces and export to four cassettes.

Oh, one more issue. I have to make 50 copies of the project. We are
being paid a small amount for doing this...I am thinking that I will
run the copies myself rather than having a duplication house do it. If
I were just creating the dvd master and then having it copied, I
suppose that would save some problems but I expect I should still have
the archive source somewhere.

P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
> external drive and load it on my PC?

How about you create a DVD image on the Mac, copy the one image file to the
PC, burn from the image there?

On 6 Sep 2005 00:58:08 GMT, Kevin <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
>> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
>> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
>> external drive and load it on my PC?
>
>How about you create a DVD image on the Mac, copy the one image file to the
>PC, burn from the image there?

Thanks, would the pc read the image correctly.

At this point I'm paranoid about a screw up and will probably just
export to tape.

Smarty

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003

I've been working with both the Mac and PC doing DVD authoring, and have had
no problem whatsoever bringing authored material from the Mac to the PC.

The approach I suggest would be to create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files by
authoring your disk in DVD Studio Pro using the "Build" feature. These
folders contain the entire DVD and can be brought over to the PC where
almost any burner program can now make a DL disk from them. MacDrive6 will
allow your PC to recognize the Mac file system if you decide to use a
Mac-formatted disk to bring the folders over.

As an alternative, Tiger allows you to mount and use a Windows machine which
is on the same network as a server using SMB. This works flawlessly as well.
With a gigabit Ethernet card on a PC and a Mac with gigabit Ethernet
support, you can bring a huge 8 or 9 GB DVD over from one machine to another
in a very short period of time, faster than using Firewire or other external
drives. I've done it many times. Even without gigabit Ethernet, a networked
Mac and Pc can transfer the VIDEO_TS folder in a relatively short time.

Another option - - -You could also mount a new dual layer burner in an
external Firewire box for a total cost of less than $80 and plug it into
your Mac. You could then burn directly from the Mac and avoid the PC
transfer entirely.

Just a sidenote however..........iLife and the iDVD software do not support
the "Build" feature and merely create a disk image file (.img). I have not
attempted to open or use these images on a PC, and seriously doubt that they
are recognizable by PC software despite the same .img file extension used on
PCs. Therefore DVD StudioPro is the only method / application I know which
will create the correct export format, although it is entirely possible that
Roxio's Toast will also work. I don't own or use it so I can't say for sure.

Hope this helps,

Smarty