Mac to External Hard Drive to PC?

I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
external drive and load it on my PC?
8 answers Last reply
More about external hard drive

    As long as the hard drive is using the fat32 file system, you will have no
    problem.

    Remember that FAT32 has a limit of 4 GB per file, so I hope your VOB files
    are sized accordingly.

    P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote in

    P.C. Ford wrote:
    > I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    > not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    > external drive and load it on my PC?
    I'm no Mac expert, but why not temporarily move the DL to the Mac?

    -Bill

    Great article regarding this here:
    http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/sharefwdrive.html

    --
    Brian Alves
    Executive Producer

    "P.C. Ford" <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote in message
    > I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    > not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    > external drive and load it on my PC?

    P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:

    > I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    > not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    > external drive and load it on my PC?

    Even if the drive has been formatted for a Mac, have a look at MacOpener
    <http://www.dataviz.com/products/macopener/index.html> - or Macdrive at
    <http://www.mediafour.com/> - I know one of them at least you can
    download and use for a limited time which may help you for a small one
    off job?

    --
    Antony
    Pull the plug to reply.

    On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 11:06:27 -0700, P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    >not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    >external drive and load it on my PC?

    Thank you for your helpful replies. It sounds like the best
    alternative is to buy the Mac reading utility and a firewire/usb2
    drive. May do that. Or....I may just slice the project up into four
    pieces and export to four cassettes.

    Oh, one more issue. I have to make 50 copies of the project. We are
    being paid a small amount for doing this...I am thinking that I will
    run the copies myself rather than having a duplication house do it. If
    I were just creating the dvd master and then having it copied, I
    suppose that would save some problems but I expect I should still have
    the archive source somewhere.

    P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
    > I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    > not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    > external drive and load it on my PC?

    How about you create a DVD image on the Mac, copy the one image file to the
    PC, burn from the image there?

    On 6 Sep 2005 00:58:08 GMT, Kevin <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
    >> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    >> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    >> external drive and load it on my PC?
    >
    >How about you create a DVD image on the Mac, copy the one image file to the
    >PC, burn from the image there?

    Thanks, would the pc read the image correctly.

    At this point I'm paranoid about a screw up and will probably just
    export to tape.

    I've been working with both the Mac and PC doing DVD authoring, and have had
    no problem whatsoever bringing authored material from the Mac to the PC.

    The approach I suggest would be to create the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files by
    authoring your disk in DVD Studio Pro using the "Build" feature. These
    folders contain the entire DVD and can be brought over to the PC where
    almost any burner program can now make a DL disk from them. MacDrive6 will
    allow your PC to recognize the Mac file system if you decide to use a
    Mac-formatted disk to bring the folders over.

    As an alternative, Tiger allows you to mount and use a Windows machine which
    is on the same network as a server using SMB. This works flawlessly as well.
    With a gigabit Ethernet card on a PC and a Mac with gigabit Ethernet
    support, you can bring a huge 8 or 9 GB DVD over from one machine to another
    in a very short period of time, faster than using Firewire or other external
    drives. I've done it many times. Even without gigabit Ethernet, a networked
    Mac and Pc can transfer the VIDEO_TS folder in a relatively short time.

    Another option - - -You could also mount a new dual layer burner in an
    external Firewire box for a total cost of less than $80 and plug it into
    your Mac. You could then burn directly from the Mac and avoid the PC
    transfer entirely.

    Just a sidenote however..........iLife and the iDVD software do not support
    the "Build" feature and merely create a disk image file (.img). I have not
    attempted to open or use these images on a PC, and seriously doubt that they
    are recognizable by PC software despite the same .img file extension used on
    PCs. Therefore DVD StudioPro is the only method / application I know which
    will create the correct export format, although it is entirely possible that
    Roxio's Toast will also work. I don't own or use it so I can't say for sure.

    Hope this helps,

    Smarty

    > On 6 Sep 2005 00:58:08 GMT, Kevin <kevin@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>P.C. Ford <meoh@mouse-potato.com> wrote:
    >>> I have a 3.5 hour project that was edited on a Mac. That machine does
    >>> not have a double layer burner. My pc does. Can I export to an
    >>> external drive and load it on my PC?
    >>
    >>How about you create a DVD image on the Mac, copy the one image file to
    >>the
    >>PC, burn from the image there?
    >
    > Thanks, would the pc read the image correctly.
    >
    > At this point I'm paranoid about a screw up and will probably just
    > export to tape.

Tuner Cards Macintosh External Hard Drive Graphics