Copying Mini-DV Tape to PC - Can I use any camera?

I will shortly be receiving several mini DV tapes with video that I
want to download to my PC for editing before writing to DVDs.

I do not know the camera used to create the tapes but believe that is
probably a high-end relatively new model.

I do not own a mini DV camera myself.

Can I use any miniDV camera to transfer the video from these tapes to
my PC?

If not, what do I need to about the video capabilities of the original
miniDV camera so that I can purchase a compatible camera so that I can
do the transfer?

Basically, I am looking to identify what I need to purchase (a used
miniDV camera, I presume) to transfer the miniDV videos to a PC

Information and Suggestions please.

NOTE: My PC has a firewire connection.

------------------------
If you have a miniDV camera that no longer records but could be used
for video transfer, I may be interested in this. I am in the Los
Angeles area.
Please email me your phone number after correcting my email address.

"Axel" wrote ...
> I will shortly be receiving several mini DV tapes with
> video that I want to download to my PC for editing before
> writing to DVDs.
>
> I do not know the camera used to create the tapes but
> believe that is probably a high-end relatively new model.
>
> I do not own a mini DV camera myself.
>
> Can I use any miniDV camera to transfer the video from
> these tapes to my PC?

Generally speaking, yes. Of course, you need equipment
which uses the same TV standard as whatever created the
tapes (NTSC vs. PAL, etc.)

There are so many DV camcorders out there you could
likely borrow one from a friend or neighbor for a day
or two.

I use Mini DVs taken with a Canon and 2 different models of Sony and
have no problem interchanging.