Black Sun? Photos of Sun with digital camera question.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

Someone posted a video and some stills they took using a Umax Astrapix
610 and it looks like the Sun is blocked out by a mask making it appear black.
They are in alt.binaries.svcd if anyone is interested. I never dared point my
camera at the Sun, so I have never seen this before. Can someone explain why it
did that? I'm really curious.

If anyone cares to check them out, they were posted to:

alt.binaries.ftd
alt.binaries.movies
alt.binaries.movies.divx
alt.binaries.svcd

You should be able to find them in any one of these groups under the
subject "Totally Weird, Pictures of the Sun through my Digital Camera (Umax
Astrapix 610)"

Thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about black photos digital camera question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

    Robby wrote:
    > Someone posted a video and some stills they took using a Umax Astrapix
    > 610 and it looks like the Sun is blocked out by a mask making it appear black.
    > They are in alt.binaries.svcd if anyone is interested. I never dared point my
    > camera at the Sun, so I have never seen this before. Can someone explain why it
    > did that? I'm really curious.
    >
    > If anyone cares to check them out, they were posted to:
    >
    > alt.binaries.ftd
    > alt.binaries.movies
    > alt.binaries.movies.divx
    > alt.binaries.svcd
    >
    > You should be able to find them in any one of these groups under the
    > subject "Totally Weird, Pictures of the Sun through my Digital Camera (Umax
    > Astrapix 610)"
    >

    > Thanks.

    I don't know about these particluar pix, but astronomers use a device called a
    coronograph. You can probably find out more by googling.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

    "Robby" <get@real.com> wrote in message
    > Someone posted a video and some stills they took using a Umax Astrapix
    > 610 and it looks like the Sun is blocked out by a mask making it appear
    > black.
    > They are in alt.binaries.svcd if anyone is interested. I never dared point
    > my
    > camera at the Sun, so I have never seen this before. Can someone explain
    > why it
    > did that? I'm really curious.
    >
    > If anyone cares to check them out, they were posted to:
    >
    > alt.binaries.ftd
    > alt.binaries.movies
    > alt.binaries.movies.divx
    > alt.binaries.svcd
    >
    > You should be able to find them in any one of these groups under the
    > subject "Totally Weird, Pictures of the Sun through my Digital Camera
    > (Umax
    > Astrapix 610)"
    >

    > Thanks.

    The warning in most camera manuals regarding pointing your camera at the sun
    is more for personal safety than protect the sensor in your camera. I
    suppose if you focused you Digi cam for a long period of time at the sun you
    might damage the sensor. However, viewing the sun through a telephoto lens
    with your naked eye would cause almost immediate damage.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

    On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:14:37 -0400, Marvin <physchem@cloud9.net> wrote:

    >I don't know about these particluar pix, but astronomers use a device called a
    >coronograph. You can probably find out more by googling.

    Yeah, I knew about a device like that, and when I saw the stills, I
    thought that is what they used, but when you look at the video, the camera moves
    all over the place and what I thought was a shadow mask stays exactly over the
    Sun throughout the video. It stays in perfect alignment with the Sun. I did do a
    search on this, but didn't find anything. I'll have to tweak the search criteria
    until I come up with something.

    Thanks for your input.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

    wrote:

    >Robby wrote:
    >> Someone posted a video and some stills they took using a Umax Astrapix
    >> 610 and it looks like the Sun is blocked out by a mask making it appear black.
    >> They are in alt.binaries.svcd if anyone is interested. I never dared point my
    >> camera at the Sun, so I have never seen this before. Can someone explain why it
    >> did that? I'm really curious.
    >>
    >> If anyone cares to check them out, they were posted to:
    >>
    >> alt.binaries.ftd
    >> alt.binaries.movies
    >> alt.binaries.movies.divx
    >> alt.binaries.svcd
    >>
    >> You should be able to find them in any one of these groups under the
    >> subject "Totally Weird, Pictures of the Sun through my Digital Camera (Umax
    >> Astrapix 610)"
    >>

    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >I don't know about these particluar pix, but astronomers use a device called a
    >coronograph. You can probably find out more by googling.

    A VERY expensive product that uses an occultating disk (black metal
    cone) to block the sun's image, allowing you to view the "corona" or
    atmosphere surrounding the sun. Baader Planetarium in Germany sells
    them. There is a device called a PST (small telescope) you can buy
    from Meade.com ($400) that will allow you to see the flames as well
    and it doesn't block the sun's disc so you see detail on it too. The
    PST works by using etalons (expensive selective
    prisms) and a red filter to pass primarly the light the the
    prominences(flames)emit, hydrogen alpha.
    -Rich
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:17:17 -0400, Rich <none@none.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 12:14:37 -0400, Marvin <physchem@cloud9.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Robby wrote:
    >>> Someone posted a video and some stills they took using a Umax Astrapix
    >>> 610 and it looks like the Sun is blocked out by a mask making it appear black.
    >>> They are in alt.binaries.svcd if anyone is interested. I never dared point my
    >>> camera at the Sun, so I have never seen this before. Can someone explain why it
    >>> did that? I'm really curious.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone cares to check them out, they were posted to:
    >>>
    >>> alt.binaries.ftd
    >>> alt.binaries.movies
    >>> alt.binaries.movies.divx
    >>> alt.binaries.svcd
    >>>
    >>> You should be able to find them in any one of these groups under the
    >>> subject "Totally Weird, Pictures of the Sun through my Digital Camera (Umax
    >>> Astrapix 610)"
    >>>

    >>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>I don't know about these particluar pix, but astronomers use a device called a
    >>coronograph. You can probably find out more by googling.
    >
    >A VERY expensive product that uses an occultating disk (black metal
    >cone) to block the sun's image, allowing you to view the "corona" or
    >atmosphere surrounding the sun. Baader Planetarium in Germany sells
    >them. There is a device called a PST (small telescope) you can buy
    >from Meade.com ($400) that will allow you to see the flames as well
    >and it doesn't block the sun's disc so you see detail on it too. The
    >PST works by using etalons (expensive selective
    >prisms) and a red filter to pass primarly the light the the
    >prominences(flames)emit, hydrogen alpha.
    >-Rich

    Thanks. It is begriming to look like this person simply edited the video
    and stills so that only Sun itself is blackened out. Seems like a lot of work
    for an otherwise useless video.

    Thanks to everyone who responded.

    Rob
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,alt.photography (More info?)

    From: "Robby" <get@real.com>
    > Thanks. It is begriming to look like this person simply edited the video
    > and stills so that only Sun itself is blackened out. Seems like a lot of
    > work
    > for an otherwise useless video.
    >
    > Thanks to everyone who responded.

    Ashot of the sun taken with a camcorder could not be salvaged. A more likely
    guess is that they took the video during an eclipse.
    ---
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

Cameras Photo Peripherals