Remote Assistance

July 16, 2005 10:31:02 PM

I was trying to connect to another computer using remote assistance. I have
XP prof. and the other computer has XP home. We were getting a message about
not being able to resolve host name. After disabling firewalls and setting up
port triggering for 3389 we cannot get past trying to connect. It just hangs
there and goes nowhere. The other computer has XP home and is asking for
assistance from a XP prof compter behind a router but has port triggering
enabled for port 3389 even though it not needed. We are using windows
messenger and both have 5.1.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance
Vahenry

More about : remote assistance

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 6:45:31 PM

VaHenry <VaHenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I was trying to connect to another computer using remote assistance.
> I have XP prof. and the other computer has XP home. We were getting a
> message about not being able to resolve host name. After disabling
> firewalls and setting up port triggering for 3389 we cannot get past
> trying to connect. It just hangs there and goes nowhere. The other
> computer has XP home and is asking for assistance from a XP prof
> compter behind a router but has port triggering enabled for port 3389
> even though it not needed. We are using windows messenger and both
> have 5.1.

You will not get Remote Assistance to work if the Novice's PC is behind a
NAT router, unless (a) the router supports UPnP and has UPnP support
enabled, and (b) the Novice's PC has an Exception enabled in Windows
Firewall for (i) "UPnP Framework" and (ii) "Remote Assistance".

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

The "novice" computer is not behind a NAT.

!