remote desktop outlook send receive email

i have hp ipaq 4155 with terminal services installed.i use
windows xp pro and i've set it up for remote desktop.a wireless linksys
router i've also opened ports for my ipaq to view my desktop from any
location. up to this point i'm not able to accomplish said task.
i'm also trying to send/receive email.in my ipaq i've set up
an account pop3 mail.optonline.net but i keep getting message(unable to
connect to incoming mail server.verify than try to send/ receive email)can ya
help
thanks in advance,
jack
--
jack c.
23 answers Last reply

    See this page for help with Remote Desktop and TSC. Make sure the encryption
    level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low. The PocketPC TSC
    will not connect it the encryption level is set to High. I also recommend
    disabling the rendering of the desktop wallpaper.

    As far as the email question is concerned, are you sure your using the
    correct mail server settings?

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i have hp ipaq 4155 with terminal services installed.i
    > use
    > windows xp pro and i've set it up for remote desktop.a wireless linksys
    > router i've also opened ports for my ipaq to view my desktop from any
    > location. up to this point i'm not able to accomplish said task.
    > i'm also trying to send/receive email.in my ipaq i've set
    > up
    > an account pop3 mail.optonline.net but i keep getting message(unable to
    > connect to incoming mail server.verify than try to send/ receive email)can
    > ya
    > help
    > thanks in advance,
    > jack
    > --
    > jack c.

    thanks for the insight.do i do the below on my desktop?

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > See this page for help with Remote Desktop and TSC. Make sure the encryption
    > level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low. The PocketPC TSC
    > will not connect it the encryption level is set to High. I also recommend
    > disabling the rendering of the desktop wallpaper.
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > As far as the email question is concerned, are you sure your using the
    > correct mail server settings?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i have hp ipaq 4155 with terminal services installed.i
    > > use
    > > windows xp pro and i've set it up for remote desktop.a wireless linksys
    > > router i've also opened ports for my ipaq to view my desktop from any
    > > location. up to this point i'm not able to accomplish said task.
    > > i'm also trying to send/receive email.in my ipaq i've set
    > > up
    > > an account pop3 mail.optonline.net but i keep getting message(unable to
    > > connect to incoming mail server.verify than try to send/ receive email)can
    > > ya
    > > help
    > > thanks in advance,
    > > jack
    > > --
    > > jack c.

    Yes...

    --

    > thanks for the insight.do i do the below on my desktop?
    > -- Make sure the encryption
    > level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low.
    > jack c.
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> See this page for help with Remote Desktop and TSC. Make sure the
    >> encryption
    >> level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low. The PocketPC TSC
    >> will not connect it the encryption level is set to High. I also recommend
    >> disabling the rendering of the desktop wallpaper.
    >>
    >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >>
    >> As far as the email question is concerned, are you sure your using the
    >> correct mail server settings?
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > i have hp ipaq 4155 with terminal services
    >> > installed.i
    >> > use
    >> > windows xp pro and i've set it up for remote desktop.a wireless linksys
    >> > router i've also opened ports for my ipaq to view my desktop from any
    >> > location. up to this point i'm not able to accomplish said task.
    >> > i'm also trying to send/receive email.in my ipaq i've
    >> > set
    >> > up
    >> > an account pop3 mail.optonline.net but i keep getting message(unable to
    >> > connect to incoming mail server.verify than try to send/ receive
    >> > email)can
    >> > ya
    >> > help
    >> > thanks in advance,
    >> > jack
    >> > --
    >> > jack c.

    where is this located?

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > Yes...
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > thanks for the insight.do i do the below on my desktop?
    > > -- Make sure the encryption
    > > level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low.
    > > jack c.
    > >

    > > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> See this page for help with Remote Desktop and TSC. Make sure the
    > >> encryption
    > >> level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low. The PocketPC TSC
    > >> will not connect it the encryption level is set to High. I also recommend
    > >> disabling the rendering of the desktop wallpaper.
    > >>
    > >> http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    > >>
    > >> As far as the email question is concerned, are you sure your using the
    > >> correct mail server settings?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the mutual
    > >> benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > >> rights...
    > >>

    > >> "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Did you look at the page I pointed you to? Its clearly explained there...

    --

    > where is this located?
    > i do the below on my desktop?
    > -- Make sure the encryption
    > level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low.
    > jack c.
    > --
    > jack c.
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Yes...
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > thanks for the insight.do i do the below on my desktop?
    >> > -- Make sure the encryption
    >> > level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low.
    >> > jack c.

    Did you look at the page I pointed you to? Its clearly explained there...
    hey mate:i'm checking it out.i'll get back after i go through the lengthy
    stuff.thanks so much for following up.
    jack

    i have accomplished the below.i will read some more and
    keep ya informed.
    jack

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > See this page for help with Remote Desktop and TSC. Make sure the encryption
    > level is set to the default or Client Compatible or Low. The PocketPC TSC
    > will not connect it the encryption level is set to High. I also recommend
    > disabling the rendering of the desktop wallpaper.
    >
    > http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetupandTroubleshooting.html
    >
    > As far as the email question is concerned, are you sure your using the
    > correct mail server settings?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i have hp ipaq 4155 with terminal services installed.i
    > > use
    > > windows xp pro and i've set it up for remote desktop.a wireless linksys
    > > router i've also opened ports for my ipaq to view my desktop from any
    > > location. up to this point i'm not able to accomplish said task.
    > > i'm also trying to send/receive email.in my ipaq i've set
    > > up
    > > an account pop3 mail.optonline.net but i keep getting message(unable to
    > > connect to incoming mail server.verify than try to send/ receive email)can
    > > ya
    > > help
    > > thanks in advance,
    > > jack
    > > --
    > > jack c.

    on my pda i open tsc (updated)i tap my desktop pc name(server) i
    see connecting.than i see server could not be found.what do i do now?i have
    my linksys router out of the picture for now.\jack
    --
    jack c.

    "jack c." wrote:

    > Did you look at the page I pointed you to? Its clearly explained there...
    > hey mate:i'm checking it out.i'll get back after i go through the lengthy
    > stuff.thanks so much for following up.
    > jack
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Can you connect using the private LAN IP of the XP Pro desktop PC? If the PC
    is running any personal firewall software you need to open TCP Port 3389 on
    the firewall. Are you testing this over your local LAN?

    --

    > on my pda i open tsc (updated)i tap my desktop pc name(server) i
    > see connecting.than i see server could not be found.what do i do now?i
    > have
    > my linksys router out of the picture for now.\jack
    > --
    > jack c.
    >

    > "jack c." wrote:
    >

    >> Did you look at the page I pointed you to? Its clearly explained
    >> there...
    >> hey mate:i'm checking it out.i'll get back after i go through the lengthy
    >> stuff.thanks so much for following up.
    >> jack
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    > Can you connect using the private LAN IP of the XP Pro desktop PC?

    i'm able to send/receive email finally.i can also browse
    web-sites.am i supposed to type my desktops name or ip adress in my pda?does
    this answer this question?

    If the PC
    > is running any personal firewall software you need to open TCP Port 3389 on
    > the firewall.
    already opened port 3389

    Are you testing this over your local LAN?
    do ya want me to do a lan test like the one that's in the
    text ya sent me?
    jack

    --
    jack c.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    www.canyouseeme.org/
    i went to this site and it says port 3389 is not listening.i have my windows
    firewall and mcafee ports 3389 open.
    --
    jack c.

    "jack c." wrote:

    > > Can you connect using the private LAN IP of the XP Pro desktop PC?
    >
    > i'm able to send/receive email finally.i can also browse
    > web-sites.am i supposed to type my desktops name or ip adress in my pda?does
    > this answer this question?
    >

    > If the PC
    > > is running any personal firewall software you need to open TCP Port 3389 on
    > > the firewall.
    > already opened port 3389
    >
    > Are you testing this over your local LAN?
    > do ya want me to do a lan test like the one that's in the
    > text ya sent me?
    > jack
    >
    > --
    > jack c.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    When testing over the local LAN use the private LAN IP of the XP Pro box you
    want to access/control as illustrated on the page I pointed you to. If the
    machine has Remote Desktop enabled you should be able to connect. If not go
    through the troubleshooting section to verify that Remote Desktop is
    actually running and listening on that PC. Do you have another PC on your
    home LAN that you can use to try and access the XP Pro box with Remote
    Desktop?

    --

    > www.canyouseeme.org/
    > i went to this site and it says port 3389 is not listening.i have my
    > windows
    > firewall and mcafee ports 3389 open.
    > --
    > jack c.
    >

    > "jack c." wrote:
    >

    >> > Can you connect using the private LAN IP of the XP Pro desktop PC?
    >>
    >> i'm able to send/receive email finally.i can also browse
    >> web-sites.am i supposed to type my desktops name or ip adress in my
    >> pda?does
    >> this answer this question?
    >>

    >> If the PC
    >> > is running any personal firewall software you need to open TCP Port
    >> > 3389 on
    >> > the firewall.
    >> already opened port 3389
    >>
    >> Are you testing this over your local LAN?
    >> do ya want me to do a lan test like the one that's in the
    >> text ya sent me?
    >> jack
    >>
    >> --
    >> jack c.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    finally after almost a year i have connection.i can send/receive
    email----surf the web---- and most of all access my pc desktop front my
    pda.i/m able to do all this as i'm close to my linksys router.
    i drove my truck a mile from from and tried to do the same.the task
    i couldn't access was my desktop!why any clues?thanks for all your insights
    and time.
    --
    jack c.

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > When testing over the local LAN use the private LAN IP of the XP Pro box you
    > want to access/control as illustrated on the page I pointed you to. If the
    > machine has Remote Desktop enabled you should be able to connect. If not go
    > through the troubleshooting section to verify that Remote Desktop is
    > actually running and listening on that PC. Do you have another PC on your
    > home LAN that you can use to try and access the XP Pro box with Remote
    > Desktop?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > www.canyouseeme.org/
    > > i went to this site and it says port 3389 is not listening.i have my
    > > windows
    > > firewall and mcafee ports 3389 open.
    > > --
    > > jack c.

    > >> i'm able to send/receive email finally.i can also browse
    > >> web-sites.am i supposed to type my desktops name or ip adress in my
    > >> pda?does
    > >> this answer this question?
    > >>

    > >> If the PC
    > >> already opened port 3389
    > >>
    > >> Are you testing this over your local LAN?
    > >> do ya want me to do a lan test like the one that's in the
    > >> text ya sent me?
    > >> jack
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> jack c.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    If your trying to access your home LAN and the LAN is behind a
    firewall/NAT/router then you need to...

    1. Forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private
    static LAN IP of the PC you want to remotely access/control.
    2. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned
    by your ISP.

    --

    > finally after almost a year i have connection.i can send/receive
    > email----surf the web---- and most of all access my pc desktop front my
    > pda.i/m able to do all this as i'm close to my linksys router.
    > i drove my truck a mile from from and tried to do the same.the
    > task
    > i couldn't access was my desktop!why any clues?thanks for all your
    > insights
    > and time.
    > --
    > jack c.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    1. Forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private
    static LAN IP of the PC you want to remotely access/control.
    what is nat.i set firewall and router up for 3389.how do i
    set the private
    static LAN IP of the PC?

    2. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned
    by your ISP.
    how do i find this out?
    --
    jack c.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    i have linksys router befw11s4 and i tech at the company states that this
    router doesn't support what i want to acheive.any comments?
    --
    jack c.

    "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:

    > If your trying to access your home LAN and the LAN is behind a
    > firewall/NAT/router then you need to...
    >
    > 1. Forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private
    > static LAN IP of the PC you want to remotely access/control.
    > 2. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned
    > by your ISP.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >

    > "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > finally after almost a year i have connection.i can send/receive
    > > email----surf the web---- and most of all access my pc desktop front my
    > > pda.i/m able to do all this as i'm close to my linksys router.
    > > i drove my truck a mile from from and tried to do the same.the
    > > task
    > > i couldn't access was my desktop!why any clues?thanks for all your
    > > insights
    > > and time.
    > > --
    > > jack c.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    This page should help with configuring port forwarding through your
    router...

    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFW11S4/Remote_Desktop.htm

    If that is not the version of the BEFW11S4, then look at this page for the
    other versions...

    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

    See these pages for help with setting up a static local LAN IP address for
    your desktop PC.

    http://www.portforward.com/linksys/befw11s4v1-dhcp.htm
    http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp-dhcp.htm

    --

    >i have linksys router befw11s4 and i tech at the company states that this
    > router doesn't support what i want to acheive.any comments?
    > --
    > jack c.
    >

    > "Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> If your trying to access your home LAN and the LAN is behind a
    >> firewall/NAT/router then you need to...
    >>
    >> 1. Forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private
    >> static LAN IP of the PC you want to remotely access/control.
    >> 2. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP
    >> assigned
    >> by your ISP.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    >> benefit of all of us...
    >> rights...
    >>

    >> "jack c." <jackc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > finally after almost a year i have connection.i can send/receive
    >> > email----surf the web---- and most of all access my pc desktop front my
    >> > pda.i/m able to do all this as i'm close to my linksys router.
    >> > i drove my truck a mile from from and tried to do the same.the
    >> > task
    >> > i couldn't access was my desktop!why any clues?thanks for all your
    >> > insights
    >> > and time.
    >> > --
    >> > jack c.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    1. Forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private
    static LAN IP of the PC you want to remotely access/control.
    what is nat.i set firewall and router up for 3389.how do i
    set the private
    static LAN IP of the PC?

    2. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned
    by your ISP.
    how do i find this out?
    --
    jack c.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Well, the last reply I made has information about how to setup a static
    private LAN IP for your XP desktop...

    Go to http://www.whatismyip.com to get your pubic IP address or look at the
    router status page or look at the "Call Scheme from arRemote location"
    section of this page (particularly if your ISP assigns a dynamic IP address,
    which most do for personal use)...

    "jack c." wrote:

    > 1. Forward TCP Port 3389 through the firewall/NAT/router to the private
    > static LAN IP of the PC you want to remotely access/control.
    > what is nat.i set firewall and router up for 3389.how do i
    > set the private
    > static LAN IP of the PC?
    >

    > 2. Call using the public IP of the firewall/NAT/router, ie. the IP assigned
    > by your ISP.
    > how do i find this out?
    > --
    > jack c.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    hey mate:thanks again for the valuable infromation.i printed it out and did
    the following.
    opened the router and set-up disabled block wan request-----port forwarding
    3389 and ip address---went to desktop run cmd ipconfig/all wrote down
    ip,subnet,gateway,dns servers( from optonline gave me 2 these)----went to
    internet protol put in the assorted numbers.i was able to send/receive mail
    surf web access my pc desktop this was sitting in front of my desktop.i
    than went 2 miles away and not able to access my pc desktop.what should i do
    now?
    --
    jack c.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Since you can connect locally over the LAN from another PC or from your iPAQ,
    but not from a remote location, then it comes down to...

    1. Using the correct public IP of your router when calling from the remote
    location...OR...
    2. A port forwarding issue through your router.

    Verify the public IP of your router and make sure that is correct.

    From the Remote Desktop host PC, ie. the desktop PC on your LAN that you
    want to remotely connect to, run the test on the http://www.canyouseeme.org
    site. Does that pass? If not, recheck your port forwarding settings.

    If it comes down to a port forwarding issue in the router, I suggest you
    post to either the...

    http://forum.portforward.com/
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys

    ....sites. Its also possible upgrading to the newest firmware in your router
    may solve the issue. That, however, is outside the scope of this news group.

    Good luck...

    --

    "jack c." wrote:

    > hey mate:thanks again for the valuable infromation.i printed it out and did
    > the following.
    > opened the router and set-up disabled block wan request-----port forwarding
    > 3389 and ip address---went to desktop run cmd ipconfig/all wrote down
    > ip,subnet,gateway,dns servers( from optonline gave me 2 these)----went to
    > internet protol put in the assorted numbers.i was able to send/receive mail
    > surf web access my pc desktop this was sitting in front of my desktop.i
    > than went 2 miles away and not able to access my pc desktop.what should i do
    > now?
    > --
    > jack c.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    From the Remote Desktop host PC, ie. the desktop PC on your LAN that you
    want to remotely connect to, run the test on the http://www.canyouseeme.org
    site. Does that pass?\
    no.....it stated Error: I could not see your service
    on (my pc ip) on port (3389)
    Reason: Connection timed out

    If not, recheck your port forwarding settings.
    i have router set to 3389.
    i'll look at the new sites ya sent and get back to ya.thanks again for all
    this wonderful time and help.

    --
    jack c.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    i have another thought i just set-up wireless network setup located in
    control panel.should i have done this before?
    i don't use windows firewall i use mcafee i looked again at system
    services to see port 3389 open and added router's ip.i did canyouseeme and
    now it sees port 3389.i'll go and see if i can get in desktop from miles away.
    --
    jack c.

Remote Desktop Ipaq Email Windows XP