"Connect to" dialog username grayed out

I am trying to connect from one Windows XP Pro system to another within a
workgroup using the \\ComputerName\d$ call in the address bar of Windows
Explorer.

In Win2K/NT, I would usually get a "Connect to" dialog asking for my
username and password. However, in XP, I get a "Connect to" dialog with a
grayed out \\ComputerName\Guest user name in the username field.

I'm probably missing something simple here but I really like accessing a
drive sometimes and as an admin, I should be able to do so.

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about connect dialog username grayed

    This means that anonymous logon is enabled and by default it take only
    'Guest' user. You need to edit some settings on the machine you are
    connecting to as follows:
    1) Start -> Run -> secpol.msc
    2) Goto Security settings -> Local Policies --> Security options
    3) For the policy 'Network access:Sharing and security model for local
    accounts' change the security setting to 'Classic'
    4) Save the settings

    --
    Thanks,
    Janani

    "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to connect from one Windows XP Pro system to another within a
    > workgroup using the \\ComputerName\d$ call in the address bar of Windows
    > Explorer.
    >
    > In Win2K/NT, I would usually get a "Connect to" dialog asking for my
    > username and password. However, in XP, I get a "Connect to" dialog with a
    > grayed out \\ComputerName\Guest user name in the username field.
    >
    > I'm probably missing something simple here but I really like accessing a
    > drive sometimes and as an admin, I should be able to do so.
    >
    > Thanks

Connection Dialog Windows XP