Cant connect to VNC server over WAN

Hello, I am having a few problems with trying to connect to a VNC server
over a WAN using UltraVNC. I am only able to connect over a LAN. I am behind
a firewall but I have opened ports 5900 and 3345 but still when I enter the
IP address of the server, I get a message saying unable to connect.

In order to test the connection using an IP address (as opossed to using
local LAN IP), do the server and client have to be on different IP
Address's. I know that you can do a LAN loopback connection, can you do the
same for WAN?

Hope someone can help
AP
2 answers Last reply
More about cant connect server

    First you only need TCP Port 5900 forwarded through the router. Close port
    3345 if your not using it for some other application.

    You call from a remote location using the public IP of the router, ie. the
    IP assigned by your ISP.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > First you only need TCP Port 5900 forwarded through the router. Close port
    > 3345 if your not using it for some other application.
    >
    > You call from a remote location using the public IP of the router, ie. the
    > IP assigned by your ISP.

    Hello, I have done what you said but it still doesnt work. I have also
    disabled windowsXP firewall but still no joy.
    When I use echoVNC, the viewer does recognise that there is a VNC server
    running on that IP but every time I try to connect, I recieve the error
    "unable to connect to host: connection refused (10061)".

    Any more ideas?

    I am using a NetGear DG834 Router.

    Thanks
    AP