Home XP connects to server but not workstation

July 18, 2005 12:25:02 PM

I have configured the host, it is an XP, I have configured the client at home
(an XP) when I use the IP address (whatismyip.org) I can log on to the server
but not my workstation. If I try to login with the local ip address
(192.168.1.101) or computers name it will not connect. I've spent 2-3 hours
searching on the web and have found lots of info but so far no help. I can
connect to the server at work from home, can't figure out how to connect to
the workstation.

Thanks!
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:39:30 PM

Abe <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have configured the host, it is an XP, I have configured the client
> at home (an XP) when I use the IP address (whatismyip.org) I can log
> on to the server but not my workstation. If I try to login with the
> local ip address (192.168.1.101) or computers name it will not
> connect. I've spent 2-3 hours searching on the web and have found
> lots of info but so far no help. I can connect to the server at work
> from home, can't figure out how to connect to the workstation.

What is it that you are trying to do when you say "connect"?
Remote Desktop?
VPN?
Something else?

So far you have mentioned "host", "client", "server", workstation". Which
of these are the same PC?

Which of these PCs is behind a NAT router or firewall?

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> Abe <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have configured the host, it is an XP, I have configured the client
> > at home (an XP) when I use the IP address (whatismyip.org) I can log
> > on to the server but not my workstation. If I try to login with the
> > local ip address (192.168.1.101) or computers name it will not
> > connect. I've spent 2-3 hours searching on the web and have found
> > lots of info but so far no help. I can connect to the server at work
> > from home, can't figure out how to connect to the workstation.
>
> What is it that you are trying to do when you say "connect"?
> Remote Desktop?
> VPN?
> Something else?
>
> So far you have mentioned "host", "client", "server", workstation". Which
> of these are the same PC?
>
> Which of these PCs is behind a NAT router or firewall?
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I want access from my home computer to my computer at work, I can only
access the server, the server and workstation are behind a linksys firewall.
The host computer is my computer (workstation).

Abe
Related resources
July 19, 2005 5:35:32 PM

"" wrote:
> Abe <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have configured the host, it is an XP, I have configured
> the client
> > at home (an XP) when I use the IP address (whatismyip.org) I can log
> > on to the server but not my workstation. If I try to login
> with the
> > local ip address (192.168.1.101) or computers name it will
> not
> > connect. I've spent 2-3 hours searching on the web and have
> found
> > lots of info but so far no help. I can connect to the server
> at work
> > from home, can't figure out how to connect to the
> workstation.
>
> What is it that you are trying to do when you say "connect"?
> Remote Desktop?
> VPN?
> Something else?
>
> So far you have mentioned "host", "client", "server",
> workstation". Which
> of these are the same PC?
>
> Which of these PCs is behind a NAT router or firewall?
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

I bet this is how it is:

You have a PC at work set up to so you can "connect" (as you put it)
from any where in the world, yet you want to do the same from work to
home yet you have done nothing to try and set it up, and so it is not
supprising it’s not working.

You also say you tried with "local ip 192.168.1.101" i guess from work
to home, obvusly this isnt going to work ither, as this is likly to be
the ip address of another PC at work, if not then on the internet. You
also say you have tried it’s name, This will be it’s local DNS
name, not internet DNS name, again it’s not supprising it’s not
working.

Since you do not say how you are "connecting" i canot give advice on
how to make it work.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Work-Remotely-Home-XP-conn...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1312312
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:08:50 AM

> I want access from my home computer to my computer at work, I can only
> access the server, the server and workstation are behind a linksys firewall.
> The host computer is my computer (workstation).
>
> Abe

Let me try to understand this. I hear that you want to access your
computer at work from your home computer, right? At work, your network
sits behind a linksys firewall? #1 Are you using remote desktop to
connect to the server or vpn? #2 How is the firewall configured? If you
are using remote desktop is the firewall port forwarding the requests to
the server? If so, you will not be able connect to your workstation
unless your firewall is configured specifically recognize your home ip
address and forward it to the appropriate address (your workstation)on
the internal network at your work.

Best solution and the most secure would be to set up a vpn tunnel and
remote desktop to the workstation. Unless you are using a Wins server
at work and have your vpn connection configured properly you will not be
able to use names of computers, you would have to use the ip address on
the work lan.

Of course you could always remote desktop from the server to the
workstation after using remote desktop to get to the server. Depending
on your connection speed this could be very slow.

Good luck.

Derek
!