VPN server on XP Home edition

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

The XP PPTP VPN uses TCP Port 1723 and you also must be able to pass GRE
Protocol 47 traffic. Some routers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through" or
"VPN Pass Through" or automagically enable that traffic when TCP Port 1723
is opened. Check the router manual or manufacturers web site for help with
that. Note that some consumer grade routers can have problems with the GRE
Protocol 47 traffic. I have found that it can be highly dependent on
firmware. As always YMMV...

You can test PPTP and GRE Protocol 47 traffic using the test detailed on the
"VPN Traffic" section near the end of this article...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

Personally I use a free for personal use SSL-VPN versus the MS PPTP VPN
solution. Its easy to setup and use plus you only need TCP Port 443 open on
any firewall/NAT/router inbound.

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231

As far as security of a PPTP VPN link is concerned, you might be interested
in these articles...

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink-req=visit-lid=284.php
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink-req=visit-lid=285.php

In all cases I suggest the use of a STRONG password.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> The XP PPTP VPN uses TCP Port 1723 and you also must be able to pass GRE
> Protocol 47 traffic. Some routers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through" or
> "VPN Pass Through" or automagically enable that traffic when TCP Port 1723
> is opened. Check the router manual or manufacturers web site for help with
> that. Note that some consumer grade routers can have problems with the GRE
> Protocol 47 traffic. I have found that it can be highly dependent on
> firmware. As always YMMV...
>
> You can test PPTP and GRE Protocol 47 traffic using the test detailed on the
> "VPN Traffic" section near the end of this article...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en
>
> Personally I use a free for personal use SSL-VPN versus the MS PPTP VPN
> solution. Its easy to setup and use plus you only need TCP Port 443 open on
> any firewall/NAT/router inbound.
>
> http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231
>
> As far as security of a PPTP VPN link is concerned, you might be interested
> in these articles...
>
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink-req=visit-lid=284.php
> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink-req=visit-lid=285.php
>
> In all cases I suggest the use of a STRONG password.

Thanks. I'll check out the SSL-VPN. I'm not sure if my company blocks
port 1723, but I'm sure they DON'T block 443!

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Chuck wrote:
> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
>
>>The XP PPTP VPN uses TCP Port 1723 and you also must be able to pass GRE
>>Protocol 47 traffic. Some routers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through" or
>>"VPN Pass Through" or automagically enable that traffic when TCP Port 1723
>>is opened. Check the router manual or manufacturers web site for help with
>>that. Note that some consumer grade routers can have problems with the GRE
>>Protocol 47 traffic. I have found that it can be highly dependent on
>>firmware. As always YMMV...
>>
>>You can test PPTP and GRE Protocol 47 traffic using the test detailed on the
>>"VPN Traffic" section near the end of this article...
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0105.mspx
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en
>>
>>Personally I use a free for personal use SSL-VPN versus the MS PPTP VPN
>>solution. Its easy to setup and use plus you only need TCP Port 443 open on
>>any firewall/NAT/router inbound.
>>
>>http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
>>http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13775231
>>
>>As far as security of a PPTP VPN link is concerned, you might be interested
>>in these articles...
>>
>>http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink-req=visit-lid=284.php
>>http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink-req=visit-lid=285.php
>>
>>In all cases I suggest the use of a STRONG password.
>>

> Thanks. I'll check out the SSL-VPN. I'm not sure if my company blocks
> port 1723, but I'm sure they DON'T block 443!

Is this SSL_VPN a full firewall? In other words, can I tunnel a VNC or
remote desktop connection through it? Or is it just for accessing files?
I've poked around the web site and haven't been able to easily determine
exactly what it does.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> (Tue, 19 Jul 2005 13:30:51)
about "Re: VPN server on XP Home edition":

> Chuck wrote:
>> Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:

>>> The XP PPTP VPN uses TCP Port 1723 and you also must be able to pass GRE Protocol 47
>>> traffic. Some routers call the latter "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN Pass Through" or
>>> automagically enable that traffic when TCP Port
>>> 1723 is opened. Check the router manual or manufacturers web site for help with that.
>>> Note that some consumer grade routers can have problems with the GRE Protocol 47
>>> traffic. I have found that it can be highly dependent on firmware. As always YMMV...

>>> You can test PPTP and GRE Protocol
>>> 47 traffic using the test detailed on the "VPN Traffic" section near the end of this
>>> article...

>>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/ community/columns/cableguy/cg0105. mspx http://www.
>>> microsoft.com/ downloads/details.aspx?amp; displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-
>>> 9bb9-4126-9761-
>>> ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

>>> Personally I use a free for personal use SSL-VPN versus the MS PPTP VPN solution. Its
>>> easy to setup and use plus you only need TCP Port 443 open on any firewall/NAT/router
>>> inbound.

>>> http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do http://www.broadbandreports.com/ forum/remark,
>>> 13775231

>>> As far as security of a PPTP VPN link is concerned, you might be interested in these
>>> articles...

>>> http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ Weblink-req=visit-lid=284.php http://
>>> www.smallnetbuilder.com/Weblink- req=visit-lid=285.php

>>> In all cases I suggest the use of a STRONG password.

>> Thanks. I'll check out the SSL-VPN. I'm not sure if my company blocks port
>> 1723, but I'm sure they DON'T block
>> 443!

> Is this SSL_VPN a full firewall? In other words, can I tunnel a VNC or remote desktop
> connection through it? Or is it just for accessing files? I've poked around the web
> site and haven't been able to easily determine exactly what it does.

> --
> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Yes, RDP support is built-in. I access both of my home XP Pro desktops with RDP through
the SSL-VPN tunnel.

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC