Interesting problem with Burnt DVD... help please

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hiya

I have a unique problem with home burnt DVD's - I can't copy them !

I store all my DVD images on my HDD incase I need to burn another copy
- but I lost a project after a HDD crash and I needed another copy for
a friend, so I thought I would just copy the files to my HDD (there's
obviously no copyright protection).

Explorer gave me a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" at 75%
copied (the final VOB file).

I tried with DVD Decrypter (as recommended by a mate) but that stops
at 75% an I/O Error ; either -

"Interpretation : No seek completed" or
"L-EC Uncorrectable error"

Out of interest I took some other home movies off the shelf and they
all stop at 75% with either of the above errors.....

But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?

A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
crash out at 75% !!!

On one hand this is great as I know that when I produce DVD's for
people they cannot make copies of the wedding for Aunt Doris - but on
the other hand it's very very annoying as I don't understand what's
wrong ?!?

I have tried this with several different brands of media, on DVD+R &
DVD-R and it's always the same !

If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
hardware profiles for contemplation....

thanks in advance
j'arrow
16 answers Last reply
More about interesting problem burnt please
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >
    > Hiya

    > But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    > players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    >
    > A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    > crash out at 75% !!!

    > j'arrow

    Are you sure the videos don't start breaking up and skip when you get to
    the 75% mark when playing on stand alone DVD player? DVD players have
    some built-in error correcting. Since Nero won't make a copy, it sounds
    to me like you have a corrupt file.

    George
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Is the 75% where the error occurs a percentage of the actual file size
    or the same location on the disk ?

    If you have a consistant error occuring you either have a problem with
    the writer or a bad batch of disk blanks.

    Are you using read after write verification ?

    My DVD player is a cheap piece of stuff but it seems to play anything
    no matter how badly scratched up. I have to assume from its performance
    that it just ignores errors and plays whatever it can find.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    try copying the file (where you get the error) onto another folder. I
    had this problem with a VCD and this worked.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    j'arrow@home.net wrote:

    > If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
    > hardware profiles for contemplation....

    You're just copying the Video TS folder off the disc, right? I see no
    reason why you couldn't - it's just a set of files.

    Gary Eickmeier
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    try copying the file (where you get the error) onto another folder. I
    had this problem with a VCD and this worked.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Yup

    Tried just copying the files as data - but still the cyclic redundancy
    error.....

    If I could work out what's happening I wonder if I should patent the
    idea and sell it to the industry ;-)

    j'arrow


    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 12:44:42 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
    <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

    >
    >
    >j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >
    >> If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
    >> hardware profiles for contemplation....
    >
    >You're just copying the Video TS folder off the disc, right? I see no
    >reason why you couldn't - it's just a set of files.
    >
    >Gary Eickmeier
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    It's possible that there's an error on the disk that the DVD players
    are circumnavigating... and that error would have to be on every burn
    - if that's the case then the DVD burner could be the problem...

    I don't know if Nero will make a copy as I've been unable to copy the
    files to the PC... I wonder if I should try a Disk-Disk copy with Nero
    ?

    j'arrow


    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:12:23 -0500, George <steber@execpc.com> wrote:

    >
    >
    >j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >>
    >> Hiya
    >
    >> But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    >> players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    >>
    >> A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    >> crash out at 75% !!!
    >
    >> j'arrow
    >
    >Are you sure the videos don't start breaking up and skip when you get to
    >the 75% mark when playing on stand alone DVD player? DVD players have
    >some built-in error correcting. Since Nero won't make a copy, it sounds
    >to me like you have a corrupt file.
    >
    >George
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Naah - Nero error :

    15:03:55 #15 TRANSFER -25 File Reader.cpp, Line 382
    Error reading data

    15:03:55 #16 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 385
    Exception value: -1128

    15:03:55 #17 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
    all writers idle, stopping conversion

    15:03:55 #18 Phase 22 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1832
    Reading disc failed


    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 13:59:33 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:

    >
    >It's possible that there's an error on the disk that the DVD players
    >are circumnavigating... and that error would have to be on every burn
    >- if that's the case then the DVD burner could be the problem...
    >
    >I don't know if Nero will make a copy as I've been unable to copy the
    >files to the PC... I wonder if I should try a Disk-Disk copy with Nero
    >?
    >
    > j'arrow
    >
    >
    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 08:12:23 -0500, George <steber@execpc.com> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>
    >>j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Hiya
    >>
    >>> But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    >>> players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    >>>
    >>> A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    >>> crash out at 75% !!!
    >>
    >>> j'arrow
    >>
    >>Are you sure the videos don't start breaking up and skip when you get to
    >>the 75% mark when playing on stand alone DVD player? DVD players have
    >>some built-in error correcting. Since Nero won't make a copy, it sounds
    >>to me like you have a corrupt file.
    >>
    >>George
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    OK I'll give that a go in the morning

    thanks

    j'arrow


    On 9 Sep 2005 13:02:14 -0700, "ghosh02" <soumitra@gmail.com> wrote:

    >try copying the file (where you get the error) onto another folder. I
    >had this problem with a VCD and this worked.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:31:27 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:

    >Hiya
    >
    >I have a unique problem with home burnt DVD's - I can't copy them !
    >
    >I store all my DVD images on my HDD incase I need to burn another copy
    >- but I lost a project after a HDD crash and I needed another copy for
    >a friend, so I thought I would just copy the files to my HDD (there's
    >obviously no copyright protection).
    >
    >Explorer gave me a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" at 75%
    >copied (the final VOB file).
    >
    >I tried with DVD Decrypter (as recommended by a mate) but that stops
    >at 75% an I/O Error ; either -
    >
    >"Interpretation : No seek completed" or
    >"L-EC Uncorrectable error"
    >
    >Out of interest I took some other home movies off the shelf and they
    >all stop at 75% with either of the above errors.....
    >
    >But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    >players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    >
    >A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    >crash out at 75% !!!
    >
    >On one hand this is great as I know that when I produce DVD's for
    >people they cannot make copies of the wedding for Aunt Doris - but on
    >the other hand it's very very annoying as I don't understand what's
    >wrong ?!?
    >
    >I have tried this with several different brands of media, on DVD+R &
    >DVD-R and it's always the same !
    >
    >If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
    >hardware profiles for contemplation....
    >
    >thanks in advance
    > j'arrow

    Iso Buster will get your DVD files to your HD
    http://www.isobuster.com/

    TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress or TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 DVD import wizard
    might work but Iso Buster never fails. XPSP2 sometimes chokes on UDF
    1.02 files I've found.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Thanks Matey -

    I'll download that and give it a go ! [WinXP-PRO SP2 tho' ?!?)


    j'arrow

    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:02:45 GMT, JimK <1alpha@gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:31:27 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >
    >>Hiya
    >>
    >>I have a unique problem with home burnt DVD's - I can't copy them !
    >>
    >>I store all my DVD images on my HDD incase I need to burn another copy
    >>- but I lost a project after a HDD crash and I needed another copy for
    >>a friend, so I thought I would just copy the files to my HDD (there's
    >>obviously no copyright protection).
    >>
    >>Explorer gave me a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" at 75%
    >>copied (the final VOB file).
    >>
    >>I tried with DVD Decrypter (as recommended by a mate) but that stops
    >>at 75% an I/O Error ; either -
    >>
    >>"Interpretation : No seek completed" or
    >>"L-EC Uncorrectable error"
    >>
    >>Out of interest I took some other home movies off the shelf and they
    >>all stop at 75% with either of the above errors.....
    >>
    >>But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    >>players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    >>
    >>A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    >>crash out at 75% !!!
    >>
    >>On one hand this is great as I know that when I produce DVD's for
    >>people they cannot make copies of the wedding for Aunt Doris - but on
    >>the other hand it's very very annoying as I don't understand what's
    >>wrong ?!?
    >>
    >>I have tried this with several different brands of media, on DVD+R &
    >>DVD-R and it's always the same !
    >>
    >>If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
    >>hardware profiles for contemplation....
    >>
    >>thanks in advance
    >> j'arrow
    >
    >Iso Buster will get your DVD files to your HD
    >http://www.isobuster.com/
    >
    >TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress or TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 DVD import wizard
    >might work but Iso Buster never fails. XPSP2 sometimes chokes on UDF
    >1.02 files I've found.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Ummm - not sure I'm doing this right !!!

    in Isobuster - Extract DVD-R <image>
    User Data (.tao .iso)

    at 68% hit the error :

    "Unreadable Sector"

    Clicked "Replace with all zeros"

    3 hours later and it's still 68% and Not Responding...

    What am I doing wrong please ??

    TIA
    j'arrow


    On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:29:38 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:

    >
    >Thanks Matey -
    >
    >I'll download that and give it a go ! [WinXP-PRO SP2 tho' ?!?)
    >
    >
    > j'arrow
    >
    >On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:02:45 GMT, JimK <1alpha@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:31:27 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hiya
    >>>
    >>>I have a unique problem with home burnt DVD's - I can't copy them !
    >>>
    >>>I store all my DVD images on my HDD incase I need to burn another copy
    >>>- but I lost a project after a HDD crash and I needed another copy for
    >>>a friend, so I thought I would just copy the files to my HDD (there's
    >>>obviously no copyright protection).
    >>>
    >>>Explorer gave me a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" at 75%
    >>>copied (the final VOB file).
    >>>
    >>>I tried with DVD Decrypter (as recommended by a mate) but that stops
    >>>at 75% an I/O Error ; either -
    >>>
    >>>"Interpretation : No seek completed" or
    >>>"L-EC Uncorrectable error"
    >>>
    >>>Out of interest I took some other home movies off the shelf and they
    >>>all stop at 75% with either of the above errors.....
    >>>
    >>>But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    >>>players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    >>>
    >>>A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    >>>crash out at 75% !!!
    >>>
    >>>On one hand this is great as I know that when I produce DVD's for
    >>>people they cannot make copies of the wedding for Aunt Doris - but on
    >>>the other hand it's very very annoying as I don't understand what's
    >>>wrong ?!?
    >>>
    >>>I have tried this with several different brands of media, on DVD+R &
    >>>DVD-R and it's always the same !
    >>>
    >>>If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
    >>>hardware profiles for contemplation....
    >>>
    >>>thanks in advance
    >>> j'arrow
    >>
    >>Iso Buster will get your DVD files to your HD
    >>http://www.isobuster.com/
    >>
    >>TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress or TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 DVD import wizard
    >>might work but Iso Buster never fails. XPSP2 sometimes chokes on UDF
    >>1.02 files I've found.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    This whole thing may be a *mechanical* problem with
    the drive itself (laser positioning mechanism sticking at the
    same place every time).

    Try a different drive.


    <j'arrow@home.net> wrote in message
    news:hc26i1198vpsqjvm8k4bhlvivbi1q44465@4ax.com...
    >
    > Ummm - not sure I'm doing this right !!!
    >
    > in Isobuster - Extract DVD-R <image>
    > User Data (.tao .iso)
    >
    > at 68% hit the error :
    >
    > "Unreadable Sector"
    >
    > Clicked "Replace with all zeros"
    >
    > 3 hours later and it's still 68% and Not Responding...
    >
    > What am I doing wrong please ??
    >
    > TIA
    > j'arrow
    >
    >
    > On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:29:38 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >Thanks Matey -
    > >
    > >I'll download that and give it a go ! [WinXP-PRO SP2 tho' ?!?)
    > >
    > >
    > > j'arrow
    > >
    > >On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 01:02:45 GMT, JimK <1alpha@gmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 10:31:27 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>Hiya
    > >>>
    > >>>I have a unique problem with home burnt DVD's - I can't copy them !
    > >>>
    > >>>I store all my DVD images on my HDD incase I need to burn another copy
    > >>>- but I lost a project after a HDD crash and I needed another copy for
    > >>>a friend, so I thought I would just copy the files to my HDD (there's
    > >>>obviously no copyright protection).
    > >>>
    > >>>Explorer gave me a "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" at 75%
    > >>>copied (the final VOB file).
    > >>>
    > >>>I tried with DVD Decrypter (as recommended by a mate) but that stops
    > >>>at 75% an I/O Error ; either -
    > >>>
    > >>>"Interpretation : No seek completed" or
    > >>>"L-EC Uncorrectable error"
    > >>>
    > >>>Out of interest I took some other home movies off the shelf and they
    > >>>all stop at 75% with either of the above errors.....
    > >>>
    > >>>But the DVD's play perfectly on at least a dozen stand-alone DVD
    > >>>players (including a PS2) and on every PC that I have tried them on ?
    > >>>
    > >>>A couple of friends have tried to copy them as well and they always
    > >>>crash out at 75% !!!
    > >>>
    > >>>On one hand this is great as I know that when I produce DVD's for
    > >>>people they cannot make copies of the wedding for Aunt Doris - but on
    > >>>the other hand it's very very annoying as I don't understand what's
    > >>>wrong ?!?
    > >>>
    > >>>I have tried this with several different brands of media, on DVD+R &
    > >>>DVD-R and it's always the same !
    > >>>
    > >>>If someone thinks that they could help - I'll submit my software &
    > >>>hardware profiles for contemplation....
    > >>>
    > >>>thanks in advance
    > >>> j'arrow
    > >>
    > >>Iso Buster will get your DVD files to your HD
    > >>http://www.isobuster.com/
    > >>
    > >>TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress or TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 DVD import wizard
    > >>might work but Iso Buster never fails. XPSP2 sometimes chokes on UDF
    > >>1.02 files I've found.
    >
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    CRC Redundancy check means that the disc is physically failing. Most
    likely the media was of bad quality to begin with. (There's mountains of
    bad quality DVDR media lining the store shelves in North America and
    elsewhere. Typically it's made by Infosmart and it fails faster than you
    can say "Made in Hong Kong." Identifying the good stuff is not always
    trivial as they immitate the media ID codes from better manufacturers.)

    Unfortunately there does not appear to be a definite solution to your
    problem. All I can suggest is to try reading it on different DVD burner
    drives, as not all are equal in terms of error correction. The LG-4163B
    and Plextor PX-716 are notably better than most in this area than most.
    NEC drives are poor, but have many other advantages.

    And FYI, the industry has used "fake" CRC failures as copy protection for
    quite a few years now. Back in the days of 5.25" floppy discs, they used
    to store special "original copy" signatures in sectors on the disk that
    were disguised as "bad sectors" so that most 1:1 copy utilities would
    skip them when someone tried to pirate or back up the program.

    j'arrow@home.net wrote in news:rb23i15v5c9v8ktml9bbpamp5m315vik8r@
    4ax.com:

    > Yup
    >
    > Tried just copying the files as data - but still the cyclic redundancy
    > error.....
    >
    > If I could work out what's happening I wonder if I should patent the
    > idea and sell it to the industry ;-)
    >

    >
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Thanks to everyone !

    JimK - IsoBuster took about 16 hours - but got there in the end, had
    an issue with the IFO files not matching the VOB when I went to burn -
    but processed the files through DVD2ONE (movie mode) and reconstructed
    the DVD - burnt & played perfect !

    Thanks again for all your help

    j'arrow


    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 00:49:41 -0500, Jucius Maximus
    <juicy.anti@spam.graffiti.net> wrote:

    >CRC Redundancy check means that the disc is physically failing. Most
    >likely the media was of bad quality to begin with. (There's mountains of
    >bad quality DVDR media lining the store shelves in North America and
    >elsewhere. Typically it's made by Infosmart and it fails faster than you
    >can say "Made in Hong Kong." Identifying the good stuff is not always
    >trivial as they immitate the media ID codes from better manufacturers.)
    >
    >Unfortunately there does not appear to be a definite solution to your
    >problem. All I can suggest is to try reading it on different DVD burner
    >drives, as not all are equal in terms of error correction. The LG-4163B
    >and Plextor PX-716 are notably better than most in this area than most.
    >NEC drives are poor, but have many other advantages.
    >
    >And FYI, the industry has used "fake" CRC failures as copy protection for
    >quite a few years now. Back in the days of 5.25" floppy discs, they used
    >to store special "original copy" signatures in sectors on the disk that
    >were disguised as "bad sectors" so that most 1:1 copy utilities would
    >skip them when someone tried to pirate or back up the program.
    >
    >j'arrow@home.net wrote in news:rb23i15v5c9v8ktml9bbpamp5m315vik8r@
    >4ax.com:
    >
    >> Yup
    >>
    >> Tried just copying the files as data - but still the cyclic redundancy
    >> error.....
    >>
    >> If I could work out what's happening I wonder if I should patent the
    >> idea and sell it to the industry ;-)
    >>
    >
    >>
  16. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 11:26:13 GMT, j'arrow@home.net wrote:
    >Thanks to everyone !
    >
    >JimK - IsoBuster took about 16 hours - but got there in the end, had
    >an issue with the IFO files not matching the VOB when I went to burn -
    >but processed the files through DVD2ONE (movie mode) and reconstructed
    >the DVD - burnt & played perfect !
    >
    >Thanks again for all your help
    >
    > j'arrow

    In the future, you might consider buying a DVD writer that is able to
    do PI/PO error scanning of media using a tool like Kprobe, DVD Info
    Pro, or Nero CD-DVD Speed, such as a BenQ or LiteOn. If you see a
    certain type of media or certain discs burned at a certain speed get
    large error counts (especially near the end of the disc) then you can
    identify and fix those problems before it's too late by reburning on
    different media or at a different speed.

    If you take a snapshot of the disc right after burning and then later
    in time, you should be able to see if it's degrading and how fast. It
    helps tell you if the drive or media is at fault.
Ask a new question

Read More

Tuner Cards DVD Hard Drives Graphics