Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Getting ready to change from Sprint - looking at cingular

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:41:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I am pretty much fed up with Sprint PCS, and am getting ready
to move to another provider. So far, Cingular is leading the short
list.

I do have some questions, and if anyone can help me with these, I'd
appreciate it.

1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
"no roaming", do they really mean it?

2. I will have 2 lines on the account, mine and my husband's. He
does not use his much at all, so probably will get him the X427. I
don't need a fancy phone, and have no interest in a camera phone, and
although I don't want an expensive phone, I would like certain
features. A flip and compact design are required. Good signal pickup
is also on the top of that list. Looking for a phone that also has
alarm clock, good phone book and easy to use, voice calling not really
needed. A nice, but not required feature would be a caller id display
on the outside of the flip. Any suggestions on a good (cheap) phone?

3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?

4. Email. On Sprint, when I get an email (primarily from the airline
with trip updates), I get a message that says I have email, and must
dial out to the web to get to my inbox. Naturally, there are charges
that apply to the web time. Does Cingular actually send the email, or
does it just send a notification that I have email as Sprint does?

Thanks,

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 12:41:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> I do have some questions, and if anyone can help me with these, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> "no roaming", do they really mean it?

Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
not receive a roaming charge

> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?

They good for 12 months when you get them - say for june you've got a 1000
min plan, you use 500, you've got 500 left that go into a seperate bucket.
You'll start out July with your 1000 again, if you use over 1000, it will
then take from your 500 so you don't pay overages. If you go under 1000
again you add more to your bucket. If you haven't used the first 500 by
June of 2005, then you would looose those, but you still have whatever you
accomulated in july, aug, sept, etc.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:36:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

<deb.milner@att.net> wrote in message
news:clp1d0paff929nle5ej9q84fhoms9hd218@4ax.com...
> I am pretty much fed up with Sprint PCS, and am getting ready
> to move to another provider. So far, Cingular is leading the short
> list.
>
> I do have some questions, and if anyone can help me with these, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> "no roaming", do they really mean it?
>
> 2. I will have 2 lines on the account, mine and my husband's. He
> does not use his much at all, so probably will get him the X427. I
> don't need a fancy phone, and have no interest in a camera phone, and
> although I don't want an expensive phone, I would like certain
> features. A flip and compact design are required. Good signal pickup
> is also on the top of that list. Looking for a phone that also has
> alarm clock, good phone book and easy to use, voice calling not really
> needed. A nice, but not required feature would be a caller id display
> on the outside of the flip. Any suggestions on a good (cheap) phone?
>
> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?
>
> 4. Email. On Sprint, when I get an email (primarily from the airline
> with trip updates), I get a message that says I have email, and must
> dial out to the web to get to my inbox. Naturally, there are charges
> that apply to the web time. Does Cingular actually send the email, or
> does it just send a notification that I have email as Sprint does?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deb

1. On the cingular nation gsm plan, no roaming charges means no roaming
charges. If you have a signal (at least in the 48 continental states) then
the call is (at worst) charged against your anytime minutes

2. The Motorola T720 fits all your needs and wants, perfectly.

3. If you don't use all your ANYTIME minutes, whatever you don't use is
added to a pool of rollover minutes. So if you have a thousand minutes and
use 750, you have 1250 anytime minutes next month. If you only use 500
minutes next month, then you have 1750 minutes for month three (250 plus 500
plus your normal 1000). Any minutes not used in 12 months expire. Thus, if
you still had the first 250 minutes from month 1 at month 13, those minutes
have expired. (but in your rollover, you'd still have any unused minutes
from months 2 through 12 that haven't expired yet). Rollover is awesome as
you are unlikely to ever have overage charges, if you choose the right plan
to begin with.

4. Can't help you there. Don't use e-mail on a phone -Dave
Related resources
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 1:52:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:41:59 -0500, "Dick Gozenua"
<someone@micrsoft.com> wrote:

Thank you for your response.

>> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
>> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
>> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
>> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
>> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
>> "no roaming", do they really mean it?
>
>Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
>Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
>not receive a roaming charge

Great, that is one of the "crucial" points on my list.

>
>> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?
>
>They good for 12 months when you get them - say for june you've got a 1000
>min plan, you use 500, you've got 500 left that go into a seperate bucket.
>You'll start out July with your 1000 again, if you use over 1000, it will
>then take from your 500 so you don't pay overages. If you go under 1000
>again you add more to your bucket. If you haven't used the first 500 by
>June of 2005, then you would looose those, but you still have whatever you
>accomulated in july, aug, sept, etc.

Again, great. Most months, I will use <300 minutes, but then will get
into a heavy month and use >700. The rollover will help alot with
that.

Thanks again.

Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:32:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

deb.milner@att.net wrote:
> I am pretty much fed up with Sprint PCS, and am getting ready
> to move to another provider. So far, Cingular is leading the short
> list.
>
> I do have some questions, and if anyone can help me with these, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> "no roaming", do they really mean it?
>
> 2. I will have 2 lines on the account, mine and my husband's. He
> does not use his much at all, so probably will get him the X427. I
> don't need a fancy phone, and have no interest in a camera phone, and
> although I don't want an expensive phone, I would like certain
> features. A flip and compact design are required. Good signal pickup
> is also on the top of that list. Looking for a phone that also has
> alarm clock, good phone book and easy to use, voice calling not really
> needed. A nice, but not required feature would be a caller id display
> on the outside of the flip. Any suggestions on a good (cheap) phone?
>
> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?
>
> 4. Email. On Sprint, when I get an email (primarily from the airline
> with trip updates), I get a message that says I have email, and must
> dial out to the web to get to my inbox. Naturally, there are charges
> that apply to the web time. Does Cingular actually send the email, or
> does it just send a notification that I have email as Sprint does?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deb
1. Already answered in previous posts.

2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the samsung
S307. I would have to disagree with getting the T720, I had one and I
absolutely hated it. It was slow, signal was sub-par, did not have alarm
clock, and after a year of use, it started turning off on me at random.
(Mind you, I treat my phones very well). I have since moved up to a moto
V600, which I would recommend, but you said cheap.

3. Like the poster before me said, rollover lets you keep minutes you
haven't used on your plan for a year.

4. Emails are sent directly to the phone as text messages. I get them
frequently. The only issue with this is that sometimes emails can get
split across several messages, and the worst is when that is due to
headers. But for the most part, email is reliable. I believe the address
is yournumber@mobile.mycingular.com or something similar to that. Reply
is also text message, and likewise, works very well. So in short, if you
don't use the web, you won't need it, but I would recommend a good text
message package.

Hope this helped :) 
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:32:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Michael Herweg" <mherweg@optonline.net> wrote in message
news:G99Ac.11917$0b.7516542@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net...
| deb.milner@att.net wrote:

<snip>
|
| 2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the samsung
| S307.

<snip>

I would stay away from the s307 if you will be in any fringe areas. There is
currently one on our family plan, and it's reception is horrible compared to
my T616 (T616=not a flip so not something you would be interested in). The
signal meter shows decent signal in low signal areas right up until you
press the call button ..... nothing. My wife can't make or receive calls
from it at our place at the lake (very low signal area). She gets voice mail
notifications, but can't make or receive any calls where my phone has no
problems. We thought it may have just been a faulty handset, but after
trying 3, we determined it was just a poorly designed phone from an RF
standpoint. It is a nice compact phone with an external caller ID display if
you plan an staying in very strong signal areas though.

As for the email question, it works using text messaging as mentioned
earlier (actually delivered to the phone), or some phones can actually
send/receive from pop3 accounts. Of course if you choose the latter,
internet charges will apply (either per data usage (GPRS) or per minute
(CSD)). It may also be set up via "mywirelesswindow" to work as it did for
you on Sprint if that is your preference.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 9:26:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

======================================================================
* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "Michael Herweg" <mherweg@optonline.net>
* Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:32:38 GMT
* Subj: Re: Getting ready to change from Sprint - looking at cingular
======================================================================


MH> 2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the
MH> samsung S307. I would have to disagree with getting the T720, I
MH> had one and I absolutely hated it. It was slow, signal was
MH> sub-par, did not have alarm clock, and after a year of use, it
MH> started turning off on me at random. (Mind you, I treat my phones
MH> very well). I have since moved up to a moto V600, which I would
MH> recommend, but you said cheap.

That's strange. My T720 (GSM) is the exact opposite. Not slow, great
signal almost everywhere, and the alarm clock (as well as reminders)
works great. I have 3 of them and they all perform well. I'd agree
with the poster that said it fits her requirements.


--
Jack
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 10:14:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> 2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the samsung
> S307. I would have to disagree with getting the T720, I had one and I
> absolutely hated it. It was slow, signal was sub-par, did not have alarm
> clock, and after a year of use, it started turning off on me at random.
> (Mind you, I treat my phones very well). I have since moved up to a moto
> V600, which I would recommend, but you said cheap.

It must have been your T720. We have two of them. They are not slow,
reception is above-average compared to many cell phones of various makes I
have used, it does indeed have an alarm clock (go to datebook, hit middle
buttton). I use the alarm clock extensively. It's even programmable to
repeat, which is nice. Don't know why your 720 was turning off on you. But
if it was slow with sub-par reception, it was likely a defective unit from
the day you first got it. -Dave
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <k7u1d0pirbvqs264a8ssdkjnkl3m4qcb4t@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:41:59 -0500, "Dick Gozenua"
> <someone@micrsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> >> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> >> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> >> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> >> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> >> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> >> "no roaming", do they really mean it?
> >
> >Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
> >Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
> >not receive a roaming charge
>
> Great, that is one of the "crucial" points on my list.

But if you have a GSM phone it likely doesn't have analog, so you only
have coverage along the spiderweb (with swiss cheese holes) of GSM
coverage, and no coverage in analog areas where she might currently roam.
I know of no currently sold Cingular GSM phone that has analog
capability. You'd need a TDMA phone from Cingular for that, and TDMA is
"going away". For truly national coverage that leaves only CDMA
carriers. Sprint, Alltell and Verizon.


>
> >
> >> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?
> >
> >They good for 12 months when you get them - say for june you've got a 1000
> >min plan, you use 500, you've got 500 left that go into a seperate bucket.
> >You'll start out July with your 1000 again, if you use over 1000, it will
> >then take from your 500 so you don't pay overages. If you go under 1000
> >again you add more to your bucket. If you haven't used the first 500 by
> >June of 2005, then you would looose those, but you still have whatever you
> >accomulated in july, aug, sept, etc.
>
> Again, great. Most months, I will use <300 minutes, but then will get
> into a heavy month and use >700. The rollover will help alot with
> that.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Deb
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 2:49:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <k7u1d0pirbvqs264a8ssdkjnkl3m4qcb4t@4ax.com>,
deb.milner@att.net wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:41:59 -0500, "Dick Gozenua"
> <someone@micrsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> >> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> >> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> >> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> >> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> >> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> >> "no roaming", do they really mean it?
> >
> >Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
> >Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
> >not receive a roaming charge
>
> Great, that is one of the "crucial" points on my list.
>
> >
> >> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?
> >
> >They good for 12 months when you get them - say for june you've got a 1000
> >min plan, you use 500, you've got 500 left that go into a seperate bucket.
> >You'll start out July with your 1000 again, if you use over 1000, it will
> >then take from your 500 so you don't pay overages. If you go under 1000
> >again you add more to your bucket. If you haven't used the first 500 by
> >June of 2005, then you would looose those, but you still have whatever you
> >accomulated in july, aug, sept, etc.
>
> Again, great. Most months, I will use <300 minutes, but then will get
> into a heavy month and use >700. The rollover will help alot with
> that.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Deb

As an existing SprintPCS customer, you should be able to get 750 minutes
for $40/month from SprintPCS' Retention group if you have a good payment
history.

Google alt.cellular.sprintpcs for the Retention FAQ
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:57:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <2jd9ugF10dsn8U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:

> ======================================================================
> * Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
> * Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
> * Reply to: All; "Michael Herweg" <mherweg@optonline.net>
> * Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:32:38 GMT
> * Subj: Re: Getting ready to change from Sprint - looking at cingular
> ======================================================================
>
>
> MH> 2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the
> MH> samsung S307. I would have to disagree with getting the T720, I
> MH> had one and I absolutely hated it. It was slow, signal was
> MH> sub-par, did not have alarm clock, and after a year of use, it
> MH> started turning off on me at random. (Mind you, I treat my phones
> MH> very well). I have since moved up to a moto V600, which I would
> MH> recommend, but you said cheap.
>
> That's strange. My T720 (GSM) is the exact opposite. Not slow, great
> signal almost everywhere, and the alarm clock (as well as reminders)
> works great. I have 3 of them and they all perform well. I'd agree
> with the poster that said it fits her requirements.

No GSM phone fits her requirements, since she needs to have true
National Coverage, and without analog capability, she'd have a lifeless
phone too often.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 4:58:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <10d1tnc3bb73n9f@corp.supernews.com>,
"Dick Gozenua" <someone@micrsoft.com> wrote:

>
> >
> > I do have some questions, and if anyone can help me with these, I'd
> > appreciate it.
> >
> > 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> > I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> > charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> > effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> > dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> > "no roaming", do they really mean it?
>
> Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
> Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
> not receive a roaming charge

Fine, but Sprint with its roaming agreements covers 97% of the area of
the U.S., a GSM phone with no analog is closer to 20% (or is that a high
number?).
June 17, 2004 7:28:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in news:rmarkoff-
58801B.07571317062004@news01.east.earthlink.net:

> In article <2jd9ugF10dsn8U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> No GSM phone fits her requirements, since she needs to have true
> National Coverage, and without analog capability, she'd have a lifeless
> phone too often.
>


Robert - people have probably asked this before, but I am curious. You seem
to post negative comments to many news groups about cell phones, but only
seem to favor Sprint. You dont' do so in a way that would actually
encourage people to try Sprint. You do it instead by bashing everything
else, which I think only pisses people off. So if you are tryint to sell
Sprint, I think you need to change your tactics. If you are just trolling
for fun, you are doinga good job.

Do you work for or sell Sprint service? I'm just curious.

Tony
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:45:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> No GSM phone fits her requirements, since she needs to have true
> National Coverage, and without analog capability, she'd have a lifeless
> phone too often.

Do you actually travel nationally? I do. I can't imagine someone saying
GSM won't work for someone who needs national coverage. I've GOT national
coverage on Cingular nation GSM, and it works great. Nextel, on the other
hand . . . I'm ready to run that handset over with my truck. The only thing
that's stopping me is that it's company property. The truck, that is.
:)  -Dave
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:49:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> But if you have a GSM phone it likely doesn't have analog, so you only
> have coverage along the spiderweb (with swiss cheese holes) of GSM
> coverage, and no coverage in analog areas where she might currently roam.
> I know of no currently sold Cingular GSM phone that has analog
> capability. You'd need a TDMA phone from Cingular for that, and TDMA is
> "going away". For truly national coverage that leaves only CDMA
> carriers. Sprint, Alltell and Verizon.
>

I travel extensively. Don't let this guy scare you away from GSM. If you
don't have analog, you won't miss it. GSM coverage is great. -Dave
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> Fine, but Sprint with its roaming agreements covers 97% of the area of
> the U.S., a GSM phone with no analog is closer to 20% (or is that a high
> number?).

I travel the U.S. extensively. In my experience, my GSM handsets have
worked in 100% of the area I've needed them to. -Dave
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:34:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:49:37 GMT, "Robert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty>
wrote:

>
>As an existing SprintPCS customer, you should be able to get 750 minutes
>for $40/month from SprintPCS' Retention group if you have a good payment
>history.
>
>Google alt.cellular.sprintpcs for the Retention FAQ

More minutes don't help if you can't get a signal.

Deb
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:38:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 05:26:25 -0500, "Jack D. Russell, Sr."
<jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:

>
>That's strange. My T720 (GSM) is the exact opposite. Not slow, great
>signal almost everywhere, and the alarm clock (as well as reminders)
>works great. I have 3 of them and they all perform well. I'd agree
>with the poster that said it fits her requirements.

How is the ringer and speaker volume? I've read some reports that it
is not very loud.


Deb
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 2:32:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:32:38 GMT, Michael Herweg
<mherweg@optonline.net> wrote:

>
>2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the samsung
>S307. I would have to disagree with getting the T720, I had one and I
>absolutely hated it. It was slow, signal was sub-par, did not have alarm
>clock, and after a year of use, it started turning off on me at random.
>(Mind you, I treat my phones very well). I have since moved up to a moto
>V600, which I would recommend, but you said cheap.

I've read some good reviews about the V600, so might consider that one
if I can get a good deal (there are several on the net). The specs
say that it is a "quad band" phone, does that mean it will work on
other than GSM networks if I drop into roaming?

>
>3. Like the poster before me said, rollover lets you keep minutes you
>haven't used on your plan for a year.
>
>4. Emails are sent directly to the phone as text messages. I get them
>frequently. The only issue with this is that sometimes emails can get
>split across several messages, and the worst is when that is due to
>headers. But for the most part, email is reliable. I believe the address
>is yournumber@mobile.mycingular.com or something similar to that. Reply
>is also text message, and likewise, works very well. So in short, if you
>don't use the web, you won't need it, but I would recommend a good text
>message package.
>
>Hope this helped :) 

Deb
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:06:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
>Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
>not receive a roaming charge

The AT&T Digital One Rate has no roaming charges either.

They were the first!

--
John S.
e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:29:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <2jeitsF1048qbU3@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> >
> > Fine, but Sprint with its roaming agreements covers 97% of the area of
> > the U.S., a GSM phone with no analog is closer to 20% (or is that a high
> > number?).
>
> I travel the U.S. extensively. In my experience, my GSM handsets have
> worked in 100% of the area I've needed them to. -Dave

Not what I said. What percentage of the land area of the 48 states is
covered by GSM? If you look at the maps its a spider web.

You obviously dont go to rural areas.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:29:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> Not what I said. What percentage of the land area of the 48 states is
> covered by GSM? If you look at the maps its a spider web.
>
> You obviously dont go to rural areas.

I go to more rural areas than I care to. -Dave
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:30:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <2jeitpF1048qbU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> >
> > No GSM phone fits her requirements, since she needs to have true
> > National Coverage, and without analog capability, she'd have a lifeless
> > phone too often.
>
> Do you actually travel nationally? I do. I can't imagine someone saying
> GSM won't work for someone who needs national coverage. I've GOT national
> coverage on Cingular nation GSM, and it works great.

If you stay in the big cities and on most Interstates.

Try driving from new Orleans to Los Angeles, and then tell me about
coverage.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:30:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <rmarkoff-B21C5A.18303817062004@news01.east.earthlink.net>,
"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

> Try driving from new Orleans to Los Angeles, and then tell me about
> coverage.

Ah, the beauty of choice. If that's what you do, get the cell phone
that works for you.

But what if that's not what you do? Then why would you care?

You seem to think anyone who wants to do so much as boil a pot of water
should invest in Emeril's kitchen, otherwise don't even think about even
the pot of water. Well, that's not how the world works.

I avoided GSM until now, because for my purposes it finally became
workable. For your purposes, you'll have to wait and use non-GSM cell
phone service. Fine and dandy.

But because YOU have to wait, does that mean EVERYONE has to wait?

https://www.attwireless.com/global/maps/coveragemap.jht...
&zipInput=Y&mapDisplay=nationalgsm/gprs

Not a spiderweb at all. Sure, when you hit out west, where virtually no
one lives, those will be the last places to get GSM. I can live with
that.

If you consider how many people are touched by GSM right now, it's
pretty amazing.

Again, don't ridicule me for not having dual infrared air-circulating
ovens and a 6 top range with 25K btu output each and 3 dishwashers and
an industrial icemaker when all I want to do is cook a simple meal for
my family.

I'm one of those tens of millions who actually work and live in
metropolitan areas, who are touched by plenty of GSM coverage wherever I
travel. Whee-o. It's nice to live in the 2000s. What are the 80s
like, Robert?
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:30:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> If you stay in the big cities and on most Interstates.
>
> Try driving from new Orleans to Los Angeles, and then tell me about
> coverage.

Serious question . . . have you ever even HAD a Cingular GSM handset? No
service is perfect, but the garbage you are spouting is hilarious to someone
who has travelled extensively with one. I suspect you have a bias against
Cingular for some reason that has nothing to do with quality of
ervice. -Dave
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:35:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <Xns950B5644256B8akimtonyyahoocom@140.99.99.130>,
ME <akimtony@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in news:rmarkoff-
> 58801B.07571317062004@news01.east.earthlink.net:
>
> > In article <2jd9ugF10dsn8U1@uni-berlin.de>,
> > No GSM phone fits her requirements, since she needs to have true
> > National Coverage, and without analog capability, she'd have a lifeless
> > phone too often.
> >
>
>
> Robert - people have probably asked this before, but I am curious. You seem
> to post negative comments to many news groups about cell phones, but only
> seem to favor Sprint. You dont' do so in a way that would actually
> encourage people to try Sprint. You do it instead by bashing everything
> else, which I think only pisses people off. So if you are tryint to sell
> Sprint, I think you need to change your tactics. If you are just trolling
> for fun, you are doinga good job.
>
> Do you work for or sell Sprint service? I'm just curious.

My only relationship with SprintPCS is that I am currently a customer,
I have previously been a customer of GTE, Primco, Aerial and Cingular,
and almost AT&T.

I try to be a curmudgeon as all Cellular Carriers deserve it. They
treat their customers as a piece of cash flow once they are in contract,
which is why they are all rated half a step above Cable TV, and below
all other businesses. I regard all cellular carriers as highly unethical
in the way they treat customers, and I resent the supporters of any
given carrier misrepresenting the services. GSM coverage is a case in
point. Its a spider web. Please name a GSM phone that has analog
capability.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:36:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <2jeitrF1048qbU2@uni-berlin.de>, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net>
wrote:

> > But if you have a GSM phone it likely doesn't have analog, so you only
> > have coverage along the spiderweb (with swiss cheese holes) of GSM
> > coverage, and no coverage in analog areas where she might currently roam.
> > I know of no currently sold Cingular GSM phone that has analog
> > capability. You'd need a TDMA phone from Cingular for that, and TDMA is
> > "going away". For truly national coverage that leaves only CDMA
> > carriers. Sprint, Alltell and Verizon.
> >
>
> I travel extensively. Don't let this guy scare you away from GSM. If you
> don't have analog, you won't miss it. GSM coverage is great. -Dave

If you get away from big cities or major interstates, you will miss it.

Don't let this Cingular apologist mislead you. Look at the maps. GSM
coverage looks like a Spider web.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:36:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <rmarkoff-FFADCE.18365317062004@news01.east.earthlink.net>,
"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote:

> Don't let this Cingular apologist mislead you. Look at the maps. GSM
> coverage looks like a Spider web.

https://www.attwireless.com/global/maps/coveragemap.jht...
&zipInput=Y&mapDisplay=nationalgsm/gprs

I wouldn't call that a spiderweb.

And it will only get better....
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:36:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> If you get away from big cities or major interstates, you will miss it.
>
> Don't let this Cingular apologist mislead you. Look at the maps. GSM
> coverage looks like a Spider web.

How could I be an apologist when there is nothing to apologize for? I've
tried every major carrier out there except Sprint. Cingular Nation GSM
isn't perfect, but it's a pretty darn good deal . . . especially for someone
who travels a lot . . . and no, you don't need to stay near big cities or
major interstates to find a signal, either. I don't care about any coverage
map. I've got personal experience to draw on. If you get a signal, do you
give a rat's ass if your area isn't on the map? For that matter, if you
don't get a signal, will it make you feel better to see your area on the
map? Cingular GSM has great coverage. Now why are you trying so hard to
trash Cingular? Why? -Dave (a Cingular customer)
June 18, 2004 3:36:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Hello

We have to back this user up.... Cingular has to many holes. We travel
all over and cingular was real poor on there GSM. Sprint or Verizon
for now is the way to go. Or a old TDMA phone with Analog, Give it a
few years

From Steve
Fleet ops

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:44:08 -0400, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

>>
>> If you get away from big cities or major interstates, you will miss it.
>>
>> Don't let this Cingular apologist mislead you. Look at the maps. GSM
>> coverage looks like a Spider web.
>
>How could I be an apologist when there is nothing to apologize for? I've
>tried every major carrier out there except Sprint. Cingular Nation GSM
>isn't perfect, but it's a pretty darn good deal . . . especially for someone
>who travels a lot . . . and no, you don't need to stay near big cities or
>major interstates to find a signal, either. I don't care about any coverage
>map. I've got personal experience to draw on. If you get a signal, do you
>give a rat's ass if your area isn't on the map? For that matter, if you
>don't get a signal, will it make you feel better to see your area on the
>map? Cingular GSM has great coverage. Now why are you trying so hard to
>trash Cingular? Why? -Dave (a Cingular customer)
>

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors,
disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent
theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will
only add to the overall beauty of the post.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:37:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <20040617190608.25491.00000191@mb-m29.aol.com>,
sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree (John S.) wrote:

> >Yes, Cingular is the only company that I'm aware of that is "True" nation,
> >Doesn't matter who's towers your using, as long as your in the US you will
> >not receive a roaming charge
>
> The AT&T Digital One Rate has no roaming charges either.
>
> They were the first!

A TDMA plan, for phones with TDMA and analog capability.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:01:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

deb.milner@att.net wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:32:38 GMT, Michael Herweg
> <mherweg@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>
>>2. Sounds like the x427 would fit you as well. Or maybe the samsung
>>S307. I would have to disagree with getting the T720, I had one and I
>>absolutely hated it. It was slow, signal was sub-par, did not have alarm
>>clock, and after a year of use, it started turning off on me at random.
>>(Mind you, I treat my phones very well). I have since moved up to a moto
>>V600, which I would recommend, but you said cheap.
>
>
> I've read some good reviews about the V600, so might consider that one
> if I can get a good deal (there are several on the net). The specs
> say that it is a "quad band" phone, does that mean it will work on
> other than GSM networks if I drop into roaming?
>
>
Quad band just makes it a truly world phone, able to operate on (AFAIK)
all the GSM frequencies worldwide (only two are used in the US I
believe, 850 and 1900, but I'm not 100% sure on that) so it's really
good if you do world travelling. It is also possible that another of the
frequency bands are used here, like I said, I'm not totally sure about
all of that. Heh - so to sum up what I just said, it will still only
work on GSM networks, but it will work on ANY GSM network. If you don't
reqire quad-band, or bluetooth, you might look at the V400, which is
supposed to be very similar.

>>That's strange. My T720 (GSM) is the exact opposite. Not slow, great
>>signal almost everywhere, and the alarm clock (as well as reminders)
>>works great. I have 3 of them and they all perform well. I'd agree
>>with the poster that said it fits her requirements.


>How is the ringer and speaker volume? I've read some reports that it
>is not very loud.

That was another complaint I had about the T720, it really wasn't loud
at all. I usually kept it on vibe & ring all the time, because more
often than not I wouldn't hear it ring. As far as the alarm clock that
it had, I have to admit, like Dave said, there was the datebook
function. The phone is pretty quiet like I said though. Like I had said
before, I'm very pleased with the V600, it basically takes the T720 and
improves upon it in nearly every way. I get better reception, the ringer
is very loud (it uses the built-in speakerphone, which I absolutely
love, btw) it reacts quicker, the metal housing makes it feel much more
sturdy (T720 is all plastic), and the return of the smart key. I have to
admit that I haven't tested the battery life, but I hear it is very
good. I used to get about a day, day and a half maximum from my T720.
BTW, this isn't intended to tick off anyone that has a T720 and likes
it, I'm just speaking from personal experience.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:08:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

======================================================================
* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; <deb.milner@att.net>
* Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:38:44 -0400
* Subj: Re: Getting ready to change from Sprint - looking at cingular
======================================================================

dm> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 05:26:25 -0500, "Jack D. Russell, Sr."
dm> <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:

FL>> That's strange. My T720 (GSM) is the exact opposite. Not slow,
FL>> great signal almost everywhere, and the alarm clock (as well as
FL>> reminders) works great. I have 3 of them and they all perform
FL>> well. I'd agree with the poster that said it fits her
FL>> requirements.

dm> How is the ringer and speaker volume? I've read some reports that
dm> it is not very loud.

dm> Deb

The ringer and volume are fine. I wouldn't have said that when I first
purchased my phones, as I agreed with the detractors that the volume
was poor. However in searching for a remedy, I discovered that it
wasn't the phone that was at fault but the leather cases that I was
carrying them in. There is a chrome "M" logo that protrudes through
the top outside piece of the flip. This isn't merely decoration, it's
the speaker! Cover it up and the volume is poor. Once I discovered
this, I altered the case and the volume is very loud now. Another
alternative is to carry the phone with one of the plastic "clips" that
are popular now.
--
Jack
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:28:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

======================================================================
* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; <deb.milner@att.net>
* Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:32:00 -0400
* Subj: Re: Getting ready to change from Sprint - looking at cingular
======================================================================

dm> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:32:38 GMT, Michael Herweg
dm> <mherweg@optonline.net> wrote:

..

dm> I've read some good reviews about the V600, so might consider
dm> that one if I can get a good deal (there are several on the net).
dm> The specs say that it is a "quad band" phone, does that mean it
dm> will work on other than GSM networks if I drop into roaming?

The V600 is a quad band GSM (800(850)/1900 for US 900/1800 for ROW)
phone. I've heard nothing but good things about it. It is expensive
and the Bluetooth is a plus. If you go with Cingular, roaming will
not be an issue.
BTW...there were two Moto T720 models. One was GSM (The Cingular
version) and one was CDMA (other carriers). They had nothing in common
except the way they looked. The CDMA version was buggy. I've already
explained the GSM version in other posts. Good luck.
--
Jack
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 8:58:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

======================================================================
* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com>
* Newsgroup: alt.cellular.cingular
* Reply to: All; "Michael Herweg" <mherweg@optonline.net>
* Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 03:01:41 GMT
* Subj: Re: Getting ready to change from Sprint - looking at cingular
======================================================================

MH> deb.milner@att.net wrote:
FL>> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:32:38 GMT, Michael Herweg
FL>> <mherweg@optonline.net> wrote:
FL>>
FL>> I've read some good reviews about the V600, so might consider
FL>> that one if I can get a good deal (there are several on the
FL>> net). The specs say that it is a "quad band" phone, does that
FL>> mean it will work on other than GSM networks if I drop into
FL>> roaming?
FL>>
MH> Quad band just makes it a truly world phone, able to operate on
MH> (AFAIK) all the GSM frequencies worldwide (only two are used in
MH> the US I believe, 850 and 1900, but I'm not 100% sure on that) so
MH> it's really good if you do world travelling. It is also possible
MH> that another of the frequency bands are used here, like I said,
MH> I'm not totally sure about all of that. Heh - so to sum up what I
MH> just said, it will still only work on GSM networks, but it will
MH> work on ANY GSM network. If you don't reqire quad-band, or
MH> bluetooth, you might look at the V400, which is supposed to be
MH> very similar.

FL>> How is the ringer and speaker volume? I've read some reports
FL>> that it is not very loud.

MH> That was another complaint I had about the T720, it really wasn't
MH> loud at all. I usually kept it on vibe & ring all the time,
MH> because more often than not I wouldn't hear it ring. As far as
MH> the alarm clock that it had, I have to admit, like Dave said,
MH> there was the datebook function. The phone is pretty quiet like I
MH> said though. Like I had said before, I'm very pleased with the
MH> V600, it basically takes the T720 and improves upon it in nearly
MH> every way. I get better reception, the ringer is very loud (it
MH> uses the built-in speakerphone, which I absolutely love, btw) it
MH> reacts quicker, the metal housing makes it feel much more sturdy
MH> (T720 is all plastic), and the return of the smart key. I have to
MH> admit that I haven't tested the battery life, but I hear it is
MH> very good. I used to get about a day, day and a half maximum from
MH> my T720. BTW, this isn't intended to tick off anyone that has a
MH> T720 and likes it, I'm just speaking from personal experience.

The only thing plastic about the T720 is the (changeable) front and
rear covers. Underneath, it's metal. The V600 is by far a better phone
in almost every way, but let's be fair. The V600 costs a lot more than
the T720. Cell phones are no different than any other consumer
product. You get what you pay for.

--
Jack
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 10:08:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Røbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message news:rmarkoff-

Please name a GSM phone that has analog
> capability.

6340i ?
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 10:20:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

>
> How is the ringer and speaker volume? I've read some reports that it
> is not very loud.
>
>
> Deb

The ringer is loud enough that it will startle you in a noisy room.
HOWEVER, this is dependent on what ringtone you choose. Some of them are
hard to hear. So you'll have to try out a few to see which one works best
for you. Speaker volume could be a little higher. It's comfortable for me
to use, but I keep it on MAX (7?) constantly. -Dave
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 11:16:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"Bernard Farquart" <bfarquart@notmyemail.net> wrote in message
news:xFvAc.62367$TR1.30847@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
>
> "Rxbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message news:rmarkoff-
>
> Please name a GSM phone that has analog
> > capability.
>
> 6340i ?

Nokia 6190 with NRM-1 ? (I like yours better.)

John C.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 1:57:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <2jfqtaF11d0c8U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:


> The V600 is a quad band GSM (800(850)/1900 for US 900/1800 for ROW)
> phone. I've heard nothing but good things about it. It is expensive
> and the Bluetooth is a plus. If you go with Cingular, roaming will
> not be an issue.

Any phone without Analog; ROAMING WILL BE AN ISSUE in rural areas of the
United States away from big cities and major parts of the Interstate
system.


Look at the coverage map, GSM looks like a spider web.

How about I-20 between Abilene and Midland in Texas. Zero GSM coverage!
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:54:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <2jfsluF1150c0U1@uni-berlin.de>,
"Jack D. Russell, Sr." <jackru$$ell2@notmail.com> wrote:

> The only thing plastic about the T720 is the (changeable) front and
> rear covers. Underneath, it's metal. The V600 is by far a better phone
> in almost every way, but let's be fair. The V600 costs a lot more than
> the T720. Cell phones are no different than any other consumer
> product. You get what you pay for.

Neither phone supports Analog. Thus someone roaming off the beaten path
will be in zones of NO SERVICE.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 4:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <RXAAc.19020$IF3.6778@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"John Cummings" <n4bkn.no@spam.bellsouth.net> wrote:

> "Bernard Farquart" <bfarquart@notmyemail.net> wrote in message
> news:xFvAc.62367$TR1.30847@nwrddc01.gnilink.net...
> >
> > "Rxbert M." <rmarkoff@faq.cIty> wrote in message news:rmarkoff-
> >
> > Please name a GSM phone that has analog
> > > capability.
> >
> > 6340i ?
>
> Nokia 6190 with NRM-1 ? (I like yours better.)

The lady in question was considering a Motorola V400 or T720,
so those phone would leave her WITHOUT SERVICE where she had expected to
roam, as they have zero, nada, zilch Analog capability.
June 22, 2004 4:51:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I suggest you do what I did.

Sign up with Cingular and test them out. You should have a grace period
where you can cancel your account and return any equipment without paying
any fees. You will have to pay for the service you used, but that is
expected and maybe the GSM card (not sure about the card).

If you like the signal and service then transfer your existing Sprint phone
number to Cingular and your all set.

<deb.milner@att.net> wrote in message
news:clp1d0paff929nle5ej9q84fhoms9hd218@4ax.com...
> I am pretty much fed up with Sprint PCS, and am getting ready
> to move to another provider. So far, Cingular is leading the short
> list.
>
> I do have some questions, and if anyone can help me with these, I'd
> appreciate it.
>
> 1. I travel extensively with my job, across the country. Naturally,
> I'm going to need a National plan. Cingular advertises "no roaming
> charges", but then, so did Sprint. Sprint's "no roaming" was
> effective as long as you were on the PCS network, the second you
> dropped off, roaming charges went into effect. When Cingular states
> "no roaming", do they really mean it?
>
> 2. I will have 2 lines on the account, mine and my husband's. He
> does not use his much at all, so probably will get him the X427. I
> don't need a fancy phone, and have no interest in a camera phone, and
> although I don't want an expensive phone, I would like certain
> features. A flip and compact design are required. Good signal pickup
> is also on the top of that list. Looking for a phone that also has
> alarm clock, good phone book and easy to use, voice calling not really
> needed. A nice, but not required feature would be a caller id display
> on the outside of the flip. Any suggestions on a good (cheap) phone?
>
> 3. Rollover minutes, how does that work?
>
> 4. Email. On Sprint, when I get an email (primarily from the airline
> with trip updates), I get a message that says I have email, and must
> dial out to the web to get to my inbox. Naturally, there are charges
> that apply to the web time. Does Cingular actually send the email, or
> does it just send a notification that I have email as Sprint does?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deb
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 11:15:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In article <8sZBc.64480$XR.34284@fe28.usenetserver.com>,
"Leto" <Leto@leto.com> wrote:

> I suggest you do what I did.
>
> Sign up with Cingular and test them out. You should have a grace period
> where you can cancel your account and return any equipment without paying
> any fees. You will have to pay for the service you used, but that is
> expected and maybe the GSM card (not sure about the card).
>
> If you like the signal and service then transfer your existing Sprint phone
> number to Cingular and your all set.

Until SprintPCS screws up your porting.

Then you call Scott Lane, Sprint's Director of Porting
at 913-762-7449.


There are no Sprint phones as nice as the Motorola v400 and v600 and the
Sony T637.

A Sanyo 7300 has a claimed battery life of 3 hours talk time, 96 hours
standby (far less in ReadyLink mode). $129.99 after rebate at Sprint


A Sony T637 has a claimed battery life of 9 hours talk time, 300
hours standby (less if you leave BlueTooth on all the time).
$149.99 before rebate at Cingular.
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 4:13:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

i've been using the samsung s307. hot phone. it is pretty small and
has infrared technology. i didn't have to buy a cable to upload
anything.


--
neilp4553
------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://cellphoneforums.netView this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t125523.html
!