wireless laptop to desktop problem

Hi.
I have a desktop runing XP pro and a laptop ditto.

My desktop is on adsl via Demon's standard SpedTouch router/modem

I have a KCorp Gold KLG-575 wireles router.

Th laptop has a KCorp Lifestyle wireles card.

If I connect a LAN port on the Speedtouch to the KCorp WAN port, the
laptop can access the internet, but neither computer sees the other
despite much tinkering with XP firewall,, workgroup names etc.

Could somebody walk me through the setup using the above gear and help
me access files on the desktop from the laptop please?

I am tearing my hair out.
2 answers Last reply
More about wireless laptop desktop problem

    HowburyPete wrote:

    > Hi.
    > I have a desktop runing XP pro and a laptop ditto.
    >
    > My desktop is on adsl via Demon's standard SpedTouch router/modem
    >
    > I have a KCorp Gold KLG-575 wireles router.
    >
    > Th laptop has a KCorp Lifestyle wireles card.
    >
    > If I connect a LAN port on the Speedtouch to the KCorp WAN port, the
    > laptop can access the internet, but neither computer sees the other
    > despite much tinkering with XP firewall,, workgroup names etc.
    >
    > Could somebody walk me through the setup using the above gear and help
    > me access files on the desktop from the laptop please?
    >
    > I am tearing my hair out.

    Make sure:

    1. Both computers are in the same Workgroup.
    2. Both computers are in the same subnet.
    3. You have created identical user names and passwords on both machines.
    4. You've shared out desired resources and set permissions
    appropriately.
    5. You've added the IP range of your lan to the firewall settings on
    both machines.

    Here are some links to help you with networking. Start by going through
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna's troubleshooter:

    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/
    http://www.wown.info/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm - Small Network Troubleshooter by
    Hans-Georg Michna

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Sharing Hi

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "HowburyPete" <peteroe@REMOVETHISwritebros.org> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > I have a desktop runing XP pro and a laptop ditto.
    >
    > My desktop is on adsl via Demon's standard SpedTouch router/modem
    >
    > I have a KCorp Gold KLG-575 wireles router.
    >
    > Th laptop has a KCorp Lifestyle wireles card.
    >
    > If I connect a LAN port on the Speedtouch to the KCorp WAN port, the
    > laptop can access the internet, but neither computer sees the other
    > despite much tinkering with XP firewall,, workgroup names etc.
    >
    > Could somebody walk me through the setup using the above gear and help
    > me access files on the desktop from the laptop please?
    >
    > I am tearing my hair out.

Laptops Wireless Desktops Wireless Networking