Anyone notice older DVD-R's just stopped working?

I've got an older Dual PPC Apple G4 in my residence. It came with a
Pioneer apple version of the A04 (x2 speed) DVD-R writer.

Not a speed daemon, and I've been pondering replacing it, but it just
kept working so I didn't screw with it.

Some time about 1-2 weeks ago, it just stopped working.. Reads but wont
write to CD or a DVD-R.

I just figure it was old, but I have 4 friends that casually mentioned
to me that their Pioneer drives went out too.. Thought this was odd,
but I have to wonder.. Does the firmware have an expiration date?

Anyone in this group have one of the first DVD-R writers Pioneer A04 or
A05's (was like 300 bucks when I bought one in 2000). I replaced it
with a Pioneer A110, and it works with Toast, but not with DVDSP 2.0??
I'll have to figure this one out now too.

-Richard

"Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message news:0TjUe.1804$eQ7.1672@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> I've got an older Dual PPC Apple G4 in my residence. It came with a
> Pioneer apple version of the A04 (x2 speed) DVD-R writer.
>
> Not a speed daemon, and I've been pondering replacing it, but it just
> kept working so I didn't screw with it.
>
> Some time about 1-2 weeks ago, it just stopped working.. Reads but wont
> write to CD or a DVD-R.
>
> I just figure it was old, but I have 4 friends that casually mentioned
> to me that their Pioneer drives went out too.. Thought this was odd,
> but I have to wonder.. Does the firmware have an expiration date?
>
> Anyone in this group have one of the first DVD-R writers Pioneer A04 or
> A05's (was like 300 bucks when I bought one in 2000). I replaced it
> with a Pioneer A110, and it works with Toast, but not with DVDSP 2.0??
> I'll have to figure this one out now too.

I learned the hard way, stay at least 10 feet away from Pioneer
writers. They run way too hot, are not adequately cooled, and
the eventual result is dead hardware.

nbk

Jeff G wrote:
> "Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message news:0TjUe.1804$eQ7.1672@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>I've got an older Dual PPC Apple G4 in my residence. It came with a
>>Pioneer apple version of the A04 (x2 speed) DVD-R writer.
>>
>>Not a speed daemon, and I've been pondering replacing it, but it just
>>kept working so I didn't screw with it.
>>
>>Some time about 1-2 weeks ago, it just stopped working.. Reads but wont
>>write to CD or a DVD-R.
>>
>>I just figure it was old, but I have 4 friends that casually mentioned
>>to me that their Pioneer drives went out too.. Thought this was odd,
>>but I have to wonder.. Does the firmware have an expiration date?
>>
>>Anyone in this group have one of the first DVD-R writers Pioneer A04 or
>>A05's (was like 300 bucks when I bought one in 2000). I replaced it
>>with a Pioneer A110, and it works with Toast, but not with DVDSP 2.0??
>>I'll have to figure this one out now too.
>

> I learned the hard way, stay at least 10 feet away from Pioneer
> writers. They run way too hot, are not adequately cooled, and
> the eventual result is dead hardware.

My Pioneer DVR-A04 is still working so far.
NBK

Smarty

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2003

I have a Pioneer A03, A04, A05, and A08. The A03 and all the others continue
to work fine. I've made at least a thousand disks with the A03.

Smarty

"NBK" <no@spam.net> wrote in message
> Jeff G wrote:
>> "Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I've got an older Dual PPC Apple G4 in my residence. It came with a
>>>Pioneer apple version of the A04 (x2 speed) DVD-R writer.
>>>
>>>Not a speed daemon, and I've been pondering replacing it, but it just
>>>kept working so I didn't screw with it.
>>>
>>>Some time about 1-2 weeks ago, it just stopped working.. Reads but wont
>>>write to CD or a DVD-R.
>>>
>>>I just figure it was old, but I have 4 friends that casually mentioned
>>>to me that their Pioneer drives went out too.. Thought this was odd,
>>>but I have to wonder.. Does the firmware have an expiration date?
>>>
>>>Anyone in this group have one of the first DVD-R writers Pioneer A04 or
>>>A05's (was like 300 bucks when I bought one in 2000). I replaced it
>>>with a Pioneer A110, and it works with Toast, but not with DVDSP 2.0??
>>>I'll have to figure this one out now too.
>>

>> I learned the hard way, stay at least 10 feet away from Pioneer
>> writers. They run way too hot, are not adequately cooled, and
>> the eventual result is dead hardware.
>>

> My Pioneer DVR-A04 is still working so far.
> NBK

There is no "expiry date" on the firmware, but it's not unheard of for one
of the optical pickups to finally wear out or die for some other reason. At
this point, you were correct to get a new drive.

I am not sure why the A10 does not work with DVDSP 2.0.

Richard Ragon <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in news:0TjUe.1804$eQ7.1672
@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com:

(snip.)
> Anyone in this group have one of the first DVD-R writers Pioneer A04 or
> A05's (was like 300 bucks when I bought one in 2000). I replaced it
> with a Pioneer A110, and it works with Toast, but not with DVDSP 2.0??
> I'll have to figure this one out now too.

Richard.. did you do the Apple firmware update for that drive ?

Jona Vark wrote:

> Richard.. did you do the Apple firmware update for that drive ?
> "Richard Ragon" <bsema04@hananho.com> wrote in message

No. How does one go about doing that.

UPDATE: After updating to Tiger OS, the drive now works in Toast 6, and
DVDSP 3. Although NOT all that great. The speed selection lets me to
choose x16 speed, thus resulting in a wasted disc with an Error. I have
to manually set it to x8 or less so it doesn't waste disc.

Next I'll be updating it to Toast 7, and DVDSP 4, which should nail down
the problems..

I'm going to just assume that since the DVD writer is so new, drivers
aren't available on the mac yet, but will be supporting that drive in
the future.

Not a problem I guess.. As I just have hardware that's "too new".

-Richard