Ryan

I am going to need to synch about 8GB of offline files via a VPN connection.
Is it possible to synch the files via removable media, such as a DVD or USB
drive?

My thought is that I could burn a DVD or connect a USB hard drive to the
server, copy the files to it, then bring those files to the remote computer
for the initial "synchormization". The VPN connection would be then used to
keep the files synched on a scheduled basis.

Why wouldn't it be?

The real question is how are you going to maintain the sync?

Matt Gibson - GSEC

"Ryan" <Ryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am going to need to synch about 8GB of offline files via a VPN
>connection.
> Is it possible to synch the files via removable media, such as a DVD or
> USB
> drive?
>
> My thought is that I could burn a DVD or connect a USB hard drive to the
> server, copy the files to it, then bring those files to the remote
> computer
> for the initial "synchormization". The VPN connection would be then used
> keep the files synched on a scheduled basis.

Ryan

If I copied all of the files onto a a DVD-R or USB hard drive and then
brought them to the remote computer, how do I put them in the offline
"cache"? I still want them accessible using the server shares.

Currently, we access the files on the server by establishing a VPN
connection (over a DSL Internet connection) and using the server share. This
is not as fast, obviously, as being on a LAN or using a locally cached copy
of the file. The "remote" computer used to be on a LAN with the server, but
had to be moved to a remote location.

As an alternative, I could send the remote computer back to the LAN,
configure the appropriate offline availability and let it synch while locally
attached, but it would be a lot easier if I could just send over a DVD and
update the "offline cache" using the DVD, instead.

Once the files are up-to-date on the remote system, I will configure the
remote system to perform a scheduled synch once or twice a day by "dialing" a
VPN connection. The files do not change often so it will not have to synch a
lot of data.

Thanks for the response. I look forward to any advice that can be offered.

-Ryan