We're looking at implementing a remote solution for users and we've realized
we may need to take the video into consideration. When running remote
desktop, how is the video processed? Will a higher end graphics card do the
processing of video or is it all done with the processor on the system?
We're running 3D engineering apps like AutoCAD and SolidWorks and we'll need
video to be accessible for users at a usable level. We've been doing
successful testing on systems with higher end graphics cards, but none of the
blade solutions we're looking at have much in the way of graphics options.
When working on a remote desktop, does the video card even come into play or
is it all processed independantly of that?

Thanks

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> We're looking at implementing a remote solution for users and
> we've realized
> we may need to take the video into consideration. When
> running remote
> desktop, how is the video processed? Will a higher end
> graphics card do the
> processing of video or is it all done with the processor on
> the system?
> We're running 3D engineering apps like AutoCAD and SolidWorks
> and we'll need
> video to be accessible for users at a usable level. We've
> been doing
> successful testing on systems with higher end graphics cards,
> but none of the
> blade solutions we're looking at have much in the way of
> graphics options.
> When working on a remote desktop, does the video card even
> come into play or
> is it all processed independantly of that?
>
> Thanks

What do you mean remote video, will the video be viewed over a remote
desktop connection, or will the videos be stored remotly and what
localy. If it is the first one (watched on a remote desktop, i dont
think thats going to work, as remote desktops will not display video
over lays (unless the player "flatens" the video so it is displayed
with out the use of an over lay, even then the video would lag
horably.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Work-Remotely-Remote-video-ftopict398845.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1318580

Remote Desktop, Terminal Server and Citrix Presentation Server are not well
suited for graphically intense applications, i.e. Photoshop, Gaming, Digital
Video Editing...

These types of programs use a lot of bandwidth, RAM, CPU and generally do
not provide the end-user experience required.

Here's a description of how Remote Desktop and Terminal Server work:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/TechRef/2cb5c8c9-cadc-44a9-bf39-856127f4c827.mspx

--
Patrick Rouse
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server