Recommend an External Capture Device

What's a decent USB 2.0 or Firewire 400 device for analog capture for
$200 or less? I'd like to digitize some VHS tapes on a PC (WinXP, AMD64
3500+, 1GB ram, USB 2.0/Firewire 400 on motherboard). Which is better
for capturing analog video, USB 2.0 or Firewire 400? I know USB 2.0 is
faster than Firewire 400 but has more overhead.

stringrazor wrote ...
> What's a decent USB 2.0 or Firewire 400 device for analog
> capture for $200 or less? I'd like to digitize some VHS tapes
> on a PC (WinXP, AMD64 3500+, 1GB ram, USB 2.0/Firewire
> 400 on motherboard).

Canopus ADVC-50/55 goes for <$200 in many places.
Google even reports the ADVC-1394 for <$200 if you
shop carefully.

> Which is better for capturing analog video, USB 2.0 or
> Firewire 400? I know USB 2.0 is faster than Firewire 400
> but has more overhead.

The overwhelming majority of video capture equipment
uses Firewire. Haven't heard any reports of good USB2
video capture devices yet.

rs

stringrazor@gmail.com wrote:
> What's a decent USB 2.0 or Firewire 400 device for analog capture for
> $200 or less? I'd like to digitize some VHS tapes on a PC (WinXP, AMD64
> 3500+, 1GB ram, USB 2.0/Firewire 400 on motherboard). Which is better
> for capturing analog video, USB 2.0 or Firewire 400? I know USB 2.0 is
> faster than Firewire 400 but has more overhead.

Grab the weekly Best Buy/Circuit City/ect add each week and watch for
specials. I just saw a 160gig external in this weeks best buy for $99
after rebates. Quite often they have both USB and Firewire. Though for
capture, I don't know I'd have a big enough preference to reject one or
the other.