Change VPN port #?

July 21, 2005 8:32:25 PM

Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel
through a port that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80.
I've looked at OpenVPN but the setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN
looks much simpler to use, but can it be configured to use a custom port?

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

More about : change vpn port

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:39:49 PM

Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> (Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:32:25)
about "Change VPN port #?":

> Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel through a port
> that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80. I've looked at OpenVPN but the
> setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN looks much simpler to use, but can it be
> configured to use a custom port?

> --
> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

No, that is not possible...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:50:47 PM

Reply to message from Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> (Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:39:
49) about "Re: Change VPN port #?":

> Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_ nospam@softhome.net> (Thu, 21 Jul
> 2005 15:32:25) about "Change VPN port
> #?":

>> Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel through a port
>> that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80. I've looked at OpenVPN but the
>> setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN looks much simpler to use, but can it be
>> configured to use a custom port?

>> --
>> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

> No, that is not possible...

> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

Have you looked at this SSL-VPN?

http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

Its pretty easy to setup & use...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC
July 22, 2005 1:51:35 PM

Sooner Al wrote:
> Reply to message from Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> (Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:39:
> 49) about "Re: Change VPN port #?":
>
> > Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_ nospam@softhome.net> (Thu, 21 Jul
> > 2005 15:32:25) about "Change VPN port
> > #?":
>
> >> Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel through a port
> >> that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80. I've looked at OpenVPN but the
> >> setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN looks much simpler to use, but can it be
> >> configured to use a custom port?
>
> >> --
> >> To reply by email remove "_nospam"
>
> > No, that is not possible...
>
> > ------
> > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC
>
> Have you looked at this SSL-VPN?
>
> http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
>
> Its pretty easy to setup & use...
>
> ------
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

I've looked at it and haven't ruled it out yet. I really like the idea
of a fully functional VPN though. SSL-VPN may work today, but tomorrow
when I decide I need to use some other TCP service, it may not. I want
to find out more about OpenVPN too. Like how secure and stable is it? I
don't know the author from Adam and for all I know there could be back
doors in the product.

I wonder what it would do to the MS VPN if I modified the services file
and changed the port number of PPTP to 443? Anyone ever tried this? If
the MS VPN uses getservicebyname that should work shouldn't it?

Chuck

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
!