Change VPN port #?

Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel
through a port that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80.
I've looked at OpenVPN but the setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN
looks much simpler to use, but can it be configured to use a custom port?

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
3 answers Last reply

    Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> (Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:32:25)
    about "Change VPN port #?":

    > Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel through a port
    > that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80. I've looked at OpenVPN but the
    > setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN looks much simpler to use, but can it be
    > configured to use a custom port?

    > --
    > To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    No, that is not possible...

    ------
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    Reply to message from Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> (Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:39:
    49) about "Re: Change VPN port #?":

    > Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_ nospam@softhome.net> (Thu, 21 Jul
    > 2005 15:32:25) about "Change VPN port
    > #?":

    >> Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel through a port
    >> that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80. I've looked at OpenVPN but the
    >> setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN looks much simpler to use, but can it be
    >> configured to use a custom port?

    >> --
    >> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    > No, that is not possible...

    > ------
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    Have you looked at this SSL-VPN?

    http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do

    Its pretty easy to setup & use...

    ------

    Sooner Al wrote:
    > Reply to message from Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> (Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:39:
    > 49) about "Re: Change VPN port #?":
    >
    > > Reply to message from Chuck <skilover_ nospam@softhome.net> (Thu, 21 Jul
    > > 2005 15:32:25) about "Change VPN port
    > > #?":
    >
    > >> Is it possible to change the port # the XP VPN uses? I need to tunnel through a port
    > >> that my company's firewall has open, such as 443 or 80. I've looked at OpenVPN but the
    > >> setup is a bit scary. XP's built in VPN looks much simpler to use, but can it be
    > >> configured to use a custom port?
    >
    > >> --
    > >> To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    >
    > > No, that is not possible...
    >
    > > ------
    > > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC
    >
    > Have you looked at this SSL-VPN?
    >
    > http://3sp.com/showSslExplorer.do
    >
    > Its pretty easy to setup & use...
    >
    > ------
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.3 for the PocketPC

    I've looked at it and haven't ruled it out yet. I really like the idea
    of a fully functional VPN though. SSL-VPN may work today, but tomorrow
    when I decide I need to use some other TCP service, it may not. I want
    to find out more about OpenVPN too. Like how secure and stable is it? I
    don't know the author from Adam and for all I know there could be back
    doors in the product.

    I wonder what it would do to the MS VPN if I modified the services file
    and changed the port number of PPTP to 443? Anyone ever tried this? If
    the MS VPN uses getservicebyname that should work shouldn't it?

    Chuck

    --
    To reply by email remove "_nospam"

vpn Windows XP