DVD-RAM drive - Help/Advice required

rw

I currently do my video editing as follows:

1) Import raw footage into my PC from my Mini-DV Digital camcorder (via
firewire capture card)

2) Edit raw footage using Pinnacle Studio

3) Export finished movie as an MPEG file to my hard drive

4) Play finished movie via S-VIDEO through the TV-OUT on my graphics card to
my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD-RAM video recorder

I am sure there must be a better way of doing things...

a) Can I write the finished movies direct to a DVD-RAM drive on my PC?

b) What file format should I use?

c) Which make/model of DVD-RAM drive is best?

d) Will the discs play back OK on my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD-RAM video
recorder?

Many thanks

RW.

RW wrote:
> I currently do my video editing as follows:
>
> 1) Import raw footage into my PC from my Mini-DV Digital camcorder (via
> firewire capture card)
>
> 2) Edit raw footage using Pinnacle Studio
>
> 3) Export finished movie as an MPEG file to my hard drive
>
> 4) Play finished movie via S-VIDEO through the TV-OUT on my graphics card to
> my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD-RAM video recorder
>

> I am sure there must be a better way of doing things...
>

> a) Can I write the finished movies direct to a DVD-RAM drive on my PC?

yes

> b) What file format should I use?

If doing it as a standard DVD the format is fixed and your DVD
compilation software will deal with it.

> c) Which make/model of DVD-RAM drive is best?

You pay your money and take your pick.

> d) Will the discs play back OK on my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD-RAM video
> recorder?

If it plays commercial DVD then Yes

look at www.videohelp.com

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 10:54:52 +0100, "RW"
<robin@whitemailbox.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I currently do my video editing as follows:
>
>1) Import raw footage into my PC from my Mini-DV Digital camcorder (via
>firewire capture card)
>
>2) Edit raw footage using Pinnacle Studio
>
>3) Export finished movie as an MPEG file to my hard drive
>
>4) Play finished movie via S-VIDEO through the TV-OUT on my graphics card to
>my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD-RAM video recorder
>

>I am sure there must be a better way of doing things...
>

>a) Can I write the finished movies direct to a DVD-RAM drive on my PC?
>
>b) What file format should I use?
>
>c) Which make/model of DVD-RAM drive is best?
>
>d) Will the discs play back OK on my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD-RAM video
>recorder?
>

>Many thanks
>
>RW.

There is a program from panasonic called 'dvd-moviealbum se' which
allows you to write mpeg files to a dvd-ram cartridge in correct
format for playback in panasonic dvd-ram standalone units.

I use it to edit programs i record offair , edit dvd-ram on pc and
then copy back to hard-drive in my panasonic eh50 dvd-ram unit.

my dvd-ram drives are all panasonic , which take the ram in
cartridges.

both purchased off ebay.

lf-d210
and
lf-d521e

one internal , the other in a 5 1/4" firewire external case.

If you have the ability to export the video to MPEG-2 files from your
Pinnacle software you also have the ability to create a DVD which will
playback on your DVD-RAM recorder. The Panasonic unit will handle most
common formats of DVD discs for playback. There is no particular reason for
the use of DVD-RAM discs except for when doing actual recording with the
Panasonic unit proper.

Read your Panasonic manual. It describes the DVD disc formats it can
playback. If you can playback a production DVD purchased at the local outlet
it should playback one created in your computer.

Production DVD's have a folder structure of VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. Discs
recorded with the Panasonic unit will included a folder called VIDEO_VR and
some Panasonic units include the folder VIDEO_RM. These are folders
recognized by the units themselves to identify the disc recorded by that
unit.

If you create a normal DVD with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS playback is likely to
occur on nearly any player or recorder unit. The only time you would need to
stick to the DVD-RAM disc would be in the situation where the Panasonic
manual stated "This unit will ONLY use DVD-RAM discs for playback and
recording. No other disc formats are recognized".

If you are bringing in the video from the camcorder through the firewire
from as full resolution DV video, why not output the full resolution video
back out of the firewire to the front DV 1394 input of the Panasonic unit in
realtime? It a simply choice of input selection using the channel +/- button
until you reach the proper input (1394).

You are wasting time by not reading the manuals of your recorder unit and
noting available options.