Remote Desktop Listen IP

July 25, 2005 6:20:46 PM

Hi

Is there any way to get remote desktop to only listen on ONE of the ip's on
the system?

I have a web server at a colocation facility and would ideally have it so
people can't try to remote into the machine via the www address

Thanks

Richard

More about : remote desktop listen

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:19:04 PM

I don't think you can change the interface or IP address it listens on.
You can change the port though
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306759

Alternatively use a firewall to block access to port 3389 from the www
address

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Richard" <rcowell%nospam%@britainusa.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Is there any way to get remote desktop to only listen on ONE of the ip's
> on the system?
>
> I have a web server at a colocation facility and would ideally have it so
> people can't try to remote into the machine via the www address
>
> Thanks
>
> Richard

July 26, 2005 9:19:05 PM

Mark Dormer wrote:
> I don't think you can change the interface or IP address it listens on.
> You can change the port though
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306759
>
> Alternatively use a firewall to block access to port 3389 from the www
> address
>
> Regards
> Mark Dormer

It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but the IP packet doesn't
carry the URL (www...), just the IP address, isn't that correct? If
that's the case, then you couldn't block www... at the firewall.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.
July 28, 2005 11:26:09 PM

Yes, it doesn't use the text address like www.whatever.com
That is not what I meant though.
I meant block 3389 from the interface attached to the external network.(www)
I suppose I could have been clearer.

--

Regards
Mark Dormer

"null" <null@planetzero.com> wrote in message
> Mark Dormer wrote:
>> I don't think you can change the interface or IP address it listens on.
>> You can change the port though
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306759
>>
>> Alternatively use a firewall to block access to port 3389 from the www
>> address
>>
>> Regards
>> Mark Dormer
>>

> It's been a while since I've dealt with this, but the IP packet doesn't
> carry the URL (www...), just the IP address, isn't that correct? If that's
> the case, then you couldn't block www... at the firewall.
>

> --
> The reader should exercise normal caution and backup the Registry and data
> files regularly, and especially before making any changes to their PC, as
> well as performing regular virus and spyware scans. I am not liable for
> problems or mishaps that occur from the reader using advice posted here.
> No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting of this
> message.

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:22:27 PM

You are correct, IP packets know nothing of URL's
I was using www as an abbreviation meaning the IP address of the interface
that is connected to the Internet.

--
Regards
Mark Dormer