DVD capacity?

Is there a "rule of thumb" to determine before rendering a movie from
clips, titles and menus whether it will fit on a "4.7 Gb" DVD and leave
room for lead in and lead out?
I ask because I burned a "standard quality" 1hr 59 min DVD using
Cyberlink's PowerDirector 3 which though it plays ok on a standard DVD
player I cannot copy.
Dick
2 answers Last reply
More about capacity

    "Richard Lane" wrote ...
    > Is there a "rule of thumb" to determine before rendering a movie from
    > clips, titles and menus whether it will fit on a "4.7 Gb" DVD and
    > leave room for lead in and lead out?
    > I ask because I burned a "standard quality" 1hr 59 min DVD using
    > Cyberlink's PowerDirector 3 which though it plays ok on a standard DVD
    > player I cannot copy.

    Likely dependent on what software you are using.
    For example, when I use Adobe Encore, it tells me
    the KB/sec and file size as I select various options
    and before I click the Save button.

    My rule of thumb is the 8k rule. Making DVD at 8000Mb a sec will fit 1
    hr 15 mins of video in 1 standard DVD. If its 2 hrs, then I'll divide
    it with 2 giving me 4000Mb. At 4500Mb will still fit 2hrs.

Tuner Cards DVD Desktops Video Rendering Graphics