DVD capacity?

Is there a "rule of thumb" to determine before rendering a movie from
clips, titles and menus whether it will fit on a "4.7 Gb" DVD and leave
room for lead in and lead out?
I ask because I burned a "standard quality" 1hr 59 min DVD using
Cyberlink's PowerDirector 3 which though it plays ok on a standard DVD
player I cannot copy.
Dick

"Richard Lane" wrote ...
> Is there a "rule of thumb" to determine before rendering a movie from
> clips, titles and menus whether it will fit on a "4.7 Gb" DVD and
> leave room for lead in and lead out?
> I ask because I burned a "standard quality" 1hr 59 min DVD using
> Cyberlink's PowerDirector 3 which though it plays ok on a standard DVD
> player I cannot copy.

Likely dependent on what software you are using.
For example, when I use Adobe Encore, it tells me
the KB/sec and file size as I select various options
and before I click the Save button.

My rule of thumb is the 8k rule. Making DVD at 8000Mb a sec will fit 1
hr 15 mins of video in 1 standard DVD. If its 2 hrs, then I'll divide
it with 2 giving me 4000Mb. At 4500Mb will still fit 2hrs.