trouble loading fy_iceworld

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'm running steam (CS 1.6), and every time I launch an fy_iceworld
game, I connect to the server, download the security module, and just
as the map is about to load, wham!, I get a Fatal Error "Warning:
couldn't open de_vegas.wad".

Anyone know why steam would try to load the de_vegas texture pack when
I'm trying to play fy_iceworld?

More file system info:
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\de_vegas.wad
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.bsp
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.txt
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.bsp
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.txt

The last two I installed manually from a .zip file obtained from this
website:http://server.counter-strike.net/maps/downloads.php?order=pop

I'm assuming there's no texture pack for fy_iceworld...right?

Thanks for help.

-Bob

alex

exactly. download de_vegas.wad and place it in your cstrike folder.

"Bob" <bpreis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running steam (CS 1.6), and every time I launch an fy_iceworld
> game, I connect to the server, download the security module, and just
> as the map is about to load, wham!, I get a Fatal Error "Warning:
> couldn't open de_vegas.wad".
>
> Anyone know why steam would try to load the de_vegas texture pack when
> I'm trying to play fy_iceworld?
>
> More file system info:
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\de_vegas.wad
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.bsp
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.txt
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.bsp
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.txt
>
> The last two I installed manually from a .zip file obtained from this
> website:http://server.counter-strike.net/maps/downloads.php?order=pop
>
> I'm assuming there's no texture pack for fy_iceworld...right?
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> -Bob

alex

http://csbanana.vugaming.com/maps/de_vegas.wad.zip

"Bob" <bpreis@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm running steam (CS 1.6), and every time I launch an fy_iceworld
> game, I connect to the server, download the security module, and just
> as the map is about to load, wham!, I get a Fatal Error "Warning:
> couldn't open de_vegas.wad".
>
> Anyone know why steam would try to load the de_vegas texture pack when
> I'm trying to play fy_iceworld?
>
> More file system info:
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\de_vegas.wad
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.bsp
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.txt
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.bsp
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.txt
>
> The last two I installed manually from a .zip file obtained from this
> website:http://server.counter-strike.net/maps/downloads.php?order=pop
>
> I'm assuming there's no texture pack for fy_iceworld...right?
>
> Thanks for help.
>
> -Bob

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks Alex, but that didn't fix the problem. To reiterate, I cannot
load ***fy_iceworld***. The error message I get, which is most
unusual, tells me that de_vegas.wad couldn't be opened. So in other
words, I'm trying to load one map (iceworld), and evidently Steam
thinks it needs to load an entirely different map (vegas).

As I mentioned in the first post, I have fy_iceworld and de_vegas on
disk already (although I don't really need de_vegas since I don't play
that map).

Please help. Thanks.

-Bob

> Thanks Alex, but that didn't fix the problem. To reiterate, I
> cannot
> load ***fy_iceworld***. The error message I get, which is most
> unusual, tells me that de_vegas.wad couldn't be opened. So in other
> words, I'm trying to load one map (iceworld), and evidently Steam
> thinks it needs to load an entirely different map (vegas).
>
> As I mentioned in the first post, I have fy_iceworld and de_vegas on
> disk already (although I don't really need de_vegas since I don't
> play
> that map).

Yes you do need vegas, iceworld uses some elements from vegas as do
lots of third party maps (it's easier to borrow than create)

If you are running 1.6 then surely your map files should be placed in
C:\ ....(whatever path to steam)..\steamapps\<your user
name>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps and not what appears to be the old
path to 1.5

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, I wasn't aware that maps shared elements. But that appears to be a moot
point in this case because I do in fact already have iceworld and vegas in
the following locations:

C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\de_vegas.wad
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.bsp
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.txt
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.bsp
C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.txt

I am running 1.6, and unfortunately steam did not move (or install) the map
files to C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps.

If I understand correctly, .wad files shouldn't be placed in the maps folder
anyway. They should be placed in the cstrike folder, right? So, to "fix"
my problem, I would need to

1) copy *.wad from "C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\" to "C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\"
2) copy *.bsp from "C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\" to "C:\Program
Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps"

Sound right?

Thanks,
Bob

"Bob" <bpreis@removegmail.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I wasn't aware that maps shared elements. But that appears to
> be a moot point in this case because I do in fact already have
> iceworld and vegas in the following locations:
>
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\de_vegas.wad
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.bsp
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.txt
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.bsp
> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.txt
>
> I am running 1.6, and unfortunately steam did not move (or install)
> the map files to C:\Program
> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps.
>
> If I understand correctly, .wad files shouldn't be placed in the
> maps folder anyway. They should be placed in the cstrike folder,
> right? So, to "fix" my problem, I would need to
>
> 1) copy *.wad from "C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\" to
> "C:\Program
> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\"
> 2) copy *.bsp from "C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\" to
> "C:\Program
> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps"
>
> Sound right?

sounds good to me

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Just to close this thread, here's what wound up working for me, in case
anyone else runs into this:

I copied the .wad and .bsp files as I described below in steps 1 and 2. At
that point, *no* map would load (error message: "server's map differs from
your map"). I then moved the .wad files that I had just copied to my
steamapps branch into a folder called "backup", effectively hiding the
files. I did the same for the .bsp files in the steamapps branch. Now at
this point, the only maps that CS and Steam "know" about are the ones that
aren't hidden...the ones under my Sierra branch...the original maps that
came with the retail game and additional maps installed by a map pack.
After hiding the maps in the steamapps branch, I was able to load maps
again, plus steam was able to download de_vegas.wad when I connected to an
fy_iceworld server.

Pretty weird, since the net result of all of the above was merely copying
all my maps and texture files into backup folders under the steamapps
branch. Now instead of "failed to load de_vegas.wad", Steam does what it
should (i.e. downloads the servers version of de_vegas.wad). I also find it
weird that I had to download that file even though I had a copy of it in
both branches at one point.

It would be nice if Valve had a utility to clean up the mess left on the
hard drive, where files are split/shared across two branches - Sierra and
Steamapps.

> "Bob" <bpreis@removegmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I wasn't aware that maps shared elements. But that appears to be a
>> moot point in this case because I do in fact already have iceworld and
>> vegas in the following locations:
>>
>> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\de_vegas.wad
>> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.bsp
>> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\de_vegas.txt
>> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.bsp
>> C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\fy_iceworld.txt
>>
>> I am running 1.6, and unfortunately steam did not move (or install) the
>> map files to C:\Program
>> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, .wad files shouldn't be placed in the maps
>> folder anyway. They should be placed in the cstrike folder, right? So,
>> to "fix" my problem, I would need to
>>
>> 1) copy *.wad from "C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\" to "C:\Program
>> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\"
>> 2) copy *.bsp from "C:\Sierra\Counter-Strike\cstrike\maps\" to
>> "C:\Program
>> Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\<username>\counter-strike\cstrike\maps"
>>
>> Sound right?
>
> sounds good to me

TRENDING THREADS