Looking for good DVD Recorder

rod

I have a few old home movies on VHS tape and some other VHS tapes that were
transfers from old super 8 and slides. I am considering purchasing a
standalone VHS to DVD recorder to archive these VHS tapes to DVD. I am
looking at a Samsung DVDVR320 from BestBuy that looks promising as it has
front A/V inputs as well as firewire. However, I have a Samsung 8X DVD
burner in my computer that I have not been very pleased with which makes me
wonder about this VHS/DVD recorder. They also have a Magnavox MRV700VR that
looks like it might be OK although it does not look like it has firewire.

If you have purchased either one of these, and can share your experiences, I
would appreciate it. Also, I have a few questions about these devices in
general.

1. Do these recorders have a good hardware MPEG-2 encoder?
2. I have noticed Canopus MPEG encoder devices mentioned on this group quite
a bit. Does anyone know whether any of the DVD recorders on the market come
anywhere close to the same MPEG encoding capability as the Canopus devices?
3. Does anyone know whether any of these DVD recorders allow you to record
from the VHS or external inputs directly to some other file format onto the
DVD such as recording to a raw avi or mpeg-2 file?

Rod

peter

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message news:Fm1Ve.16592$UI.6915@okepread05...
> I have a few old home movies on VHS tape and some other VHS tapes that were
> transfers from old super 8 and slides. I am considering purchasing a
> standalone VHS to DVD recorder to archive these VHS tapes to DVD. I am
> looking at a Samsung DVDVR320 from BestBuy that looks promising as it has
> front A/V inputs as well as firewire. However, I have a Samsung 8X DVD
> burner in my computer that I have not been very pleased with which makes me
> wonder about this VHS/DVD recorder. They also have a Magnavox MRV700VR that
> looks like it might be OK although it does not look like it has firewire.
>
> If you have purchased either one of these, and can share your experiences, I
> would appreciate it. Also, I have a few questions about these devices in
> general.
>
> 1. Do these recorders have a good hardware MPEG-2 encoder?
> 2. I have noticed Canopus MPEG encoder devices mentioned on this group quite
> a bit. Does anyone know whether any of the DVD recorders on the market come
> anywhere close to the same MPEG encoding capability as the Canopus devices?
> 3. Does anyone know whether any of these DVD recorders allow you to record
> from the VHS or external inputs directly to some other file format onto the
> DVD such as recording to a raw avi or mpeg-2 file?

For archiving VHS material a recorder should have a built-in
TBC (time base corrector). Better standalone units will have
them. Several months ago I asked the same question and was
recommended a refurbished RCA DRC8000N. I couldn't be
happier with the results from this unit.

"Peter" <nospamplease@rsii.net> wrote in message
> For archiving VHS material a recorder should have a built-in
> TBC (time base corrector). Better standalone units will have
> them. Several months ago I asked the same question and was
> recommended a refurbished RCA DRC8000N. I couldn't be
> happier with the results from this unit.

Your, welcome; Ken

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a few old home movies on VHS tape and some other VHS tapes that were
>transfers from old super 8 and slides. I am considering purchasing a
>standalone VHS to DVD recorder to archive these VHS tapes to DVD. I am
>looking at a Samsung DVDVR320 from BestBuy that looks promising as it has
>front A/V inputs as well as firewire. However, I have a Samsung 8X DVD
>burner in my computer that I have not been very pleased with which makes me
>wonder about this VHS/DVD recorder. They also have a Magnavox MRV700VR that
>looks like it might be OK although it does not look like it has firewire.
>
> If you have purchased either one of these, and can share your experiences,
> I would appreciate it. Also, I have a few questions about these devices in
> general.
>
> 1. Do these recorders have a good hardware MPEG-2 encoder?
> 2. I have noticed Canopus MPEG encoder devices mentioned on this group
> quite a bit. Does anyone know whether any of the DVD recorders on the
> market come anywhere close to the same MPEG encoding capability as the
> Canopus devices?
> 3. Does anyone know whether any of these DVD recorders allow you to record
> from the VHS or external inputs directly to some other file format onto
> the DVD such as recording to a raw avi or mpeg-2 file?
>
> Rod

1. Yes they often do.

2. What you have seen here is most often the ADVC converters that those
who like to capture to AVI-DV formats are so fond of. Canopus has always
made hardware MPEG cards, but that crowd would never admit it. Just like
the hardware MPEG encoding equipment that works with your PC, there is
a range of performance and a range of prices, for your DVD Recorders.
( The DVD Recorder encoding setup has a real advantage in that it is
operating
in a known and controlled environment. The PC is chaos in comparison.)

3. I doubt if there are any. Remember that some of the .vob files on the
DVD it makes are composed of MPEG data. The exact same audio and
video data as would be in a .mpg file, just structured a little differently
and
with some added info included in the .vob. So in fact, it does make an
MPEG that it authors into a DVD .vob file. It is easy to extract that MPEG
data and reconstruct an .mpg file, on your PC.

Luck;
Ken

"Ken Maltby" wrote ...
> Canopus has always made hardware MPEG cards, but
> that crowd would never admit it.

Nominated for most humorous statement of the week.
But consider keeping your day job.

rod

Peter,

Thanks for your reccomendation. The specs for the Sanyo that I mentioned
indicates that it has a TBC built in as well. This RCA DRC8000N looks like
it is a DVD recorder only and does not have a built in VHS. So I am taking
it that you are dubbing from the AV outputs of your VHS player to the AV
inputs of the DVD recorder. I am guessing that you have not had any problems
with the audio and the video synching.

Rod

peter

"Rod" <thelanNOSPAMman@cox.net> wrote in message news:xeeVe.17574$UI.11395@okepread05...
> Peter,
>
> Thanks for your reccomendation. The specs for the Sanyo that I mentioned
> indicates that it has a TBC built in as well. This RCA DRC8000N looks like
> it is a DVD recorder only and does not have a built in VHS. So I am taking
> it that you are dubbing from the AV outputs of your VHS player to the AV
> inputs of the DVD recorder. I am guessing that you have not had any problems
> with the audio and the video synching.

None at all.