Vob file - Now What ??

Okay, I used SmartRipper and I now have on my hdd some .vob files along with
..ifo .txt .lst .idx and .d2v. I understand the .vob files contain both video
and audio content. I do not need to create another DVD and don't care about
menus or chapters, but I would like to grab a short clip out of the show as
an MPEG file. Whar's the best way to do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
11 answers Last reply
More about file

    "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > Okay, I used SmartRipper and I now have on my hdd some .vob files along
    > with
    > .ifo .txt .lst .idx and .d2v. I understand the .vob files contain both
    > video
    > and audio content. I do not need to create another DVD and don't care
    > about
    > menus or chapters, but I would like to grab a short clip out of the show
    > as
    > an MPEG file. Whar's the best way to do this?
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Bob

    Just feed the .vob to www.VideoReDo.com 's VideoReDo.
    It has great navigation controls and you can mark several
    selections to be cut out of each vob, as you want.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Video ReDo looks great. It gave me the MPEG file I was looking for, but it
    has no sound. (!!??) I tried it again on another vob file, and the same
    thing! What am I doing wrong?

    Bob

    > Video ReDo looks great. It gave me the MPEG file I was looking for, but it
    > has no sound. (!!??) I tried it again on another vob file, and the same
    > thing! What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Bob

    You mentioned that you used a ripper to get the Vob file
    onto your hard drive. Is there any audio when you play
    the vob that the ripper made? If so use your player's
    information or properties display to see how the audio is
    described.

    You can also just use windows explorer or a copy cmd
    to copy the large .vob files to your hard drive and use
    VideoReDo on those. That bitwise copy will likely take
    a little longer than it does with the ripper.

    You should also load the vob you have and see what its
    "Show Video Program Info" (under the "Tool" tab) says
    about the audio.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby wrote:
    > "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Video ReDo looks great. It gave me the MPEG file I was looking for, but it
    >>has no sound. (!!??) I tried it again on another vob file, and the same
    >>thing! What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >>Bob
    >>

    > You mentioned that you used a ripper to get the Vob file
    > onto your hard drive. Is there any audio when you play
    > the vob that the ripper made? If so use your player's
    > information or properties display to see how the audio is
    > described.
    >
    > You can also just use windows explorer or a copy cmd
    > to copy the large .vob files to your hard drive and use
    > VideoReDo on those. That bitwise copy will likely take
    > a little longer than it does with the ripper.
    >
    > You should also load the vob you have and see what its
    > "Show Video Program Info" (under the "Tool" tab) says
    > about the audio.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Good chance its AC3 audio.

    "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message news:4325ee1f_3@newspeer2.tds.net...
    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Video ReDo looks great. It gave me the MPEG file I was looking for, but
    >>>it
    >>>has no sound. (!!??) I tried it again on another vob file, and the same
    >>>thing! What am I doing wrong?
    >>>
    >>>Bob
    >>>

    >> You mentioned that you used a ripper to get the Vob file
    >> onto your hard drive. Is there any audio when you play
    >> the vob that the ripper made? If so use your player's
    >> information or properties display to see how the audio is
    >> described.
    >>
    >> You can also just use windows explorer or a copy cmd
    >> to copy the large .vob files to your hard drive and use
    >> VideoReDo on those. That bitwise copy will likely take
    >> a little longer than it does with the ripper.
    >>
    >> You should also load the vob you have and see what its
    >> "Show Video Program Info" (under the "Tool" tab) says
    >> about the audio.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Good chance its AC3 audio.

    Current versions of VideoReDo have no problems with AC3,
    that I'm aware of. The stream selection help page even uses
    AC3 streams in the example.

    Luck;
    Ken

    > "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message news:4325ee1f_3@newspeer2.tds.net...
    > > Ken Maltby wrote:
    > >> "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > >> You mentioned that you used a ripper to get the Vob file
    > >> onto your hard drive. Is there any audio when you play
    > >> the vob that the ripper made? If so use your player's
    > >> information or properties display to see how the audio is
    > >> described.
    > >>
    > >> You can also just use windows explorer or a copy cmd
    > >> to copy the large .vob files to your hard drive and use
    > >> VideoReDo on those. That bitwise copy will likely take
    > >> a little longer than it does with the ripper.
    > >>
    > >> You should also load the vob you have and see what its
    > >> "Show Video Program Info" (under the "Tool" tab) says
    > >> about the audio.
    > >>
    > >> Luck;
    > >> Ken
    > >>

    > > Good chance its AC3 audio.
    > >

    > Current versions of VideoReDo have no problems with AC3,
    > that I'm aware of. The stream selection help page even uses
    > AC3 streams in the example.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Here's specs for audio stream:
    Stream ID: AC3: 0 (x80)
    Bit Rate: 448 Kbps
    Channels: 5.1
    Sampling Rate: 48000 Hz

    Bob

    > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message

    >> > Good chance its AC3 audio.
    >> >

    >> Current versions of VideoReDo have no problems with AC3,
    >> that I'm aware of. The stream selection help page even uses
    >> AC3 streams in the example.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Here's specs for audio stream:
    > Stream ID: AC3: 0 (x80)
    > Bit Rate: 448 Kbps
    > Channels: 5.1
    > Sampling Rate: 48000 Hz
    >
    > Bob

    Ok; now when you process the .vob with VideoReDo and
    have a .mpg file as a result, what does it show for that if you
    load that .mpg into VideoReDo? By the way, in what
    programs is there no audio from the .mpg that you created
    with VideoReDo?

    Luck;
    Ken

    > "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message

    > >> Current versions of VideoReDo have no problems with AC3,
    > >> that I'm aware of. The stream selection help page even uses
    > >> AC3 streams in the example.
    > >>
    > >> Luck;
    > >> Ken
    > >>

    > > Here's specs for audio stream:
    > > Stream ID: AC3: 0 (x80)
    > > Bit Rate: 448 Kbps
    > > Channels: 5.1
    > > Sampling Rate: 48000 Hz
    > >
    > > Bob
    > >

    > Ok; now when you process the .vob with VideoReDo and
    > have a .mpg file as a result, what does it show for that if you
    > load that .mpg into VideoReDo? By the way, in what
    > programs is there no audio from the .mpg that you created
    > with VideoReDo?
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    VideoReDo reports the .mpg file as same as vob showed (above). I am using
    Windows Media Player 9 to play the .mpg file - and getting no sound.

    BUT - your second question prompted me to drop the .mpg file into Pinnacle
    Studio and - presto - Pinnacle plays the sound just fine (on a different
    computer). And on the second computer, Windows Media Player also works fine
    with this mpeg's sound track. Well, I haven't gigured it out, but if it
    works in Studio, that's all I really care about. Thanks LOADS for your
    thoughts - and I'll take any parting shots anyone want to contribute.

    Bob

    On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:21:00 GMT, "InOverMyHead"
    <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    >> > Here's specs for audio stream:
    >> > Stream ID: AC3: 0 (x80)
    >> > Bit Rate: 448 Kbps
    >> > Channels: 5.1
    >> > Sampling Rate: 48000 Hz
    >> >
    >> > Bob
    >> >

    >> Ok; now when you process the .vob with VideoReDo and
    >> have a .mpg file as a result, what does it show for that if you
    >> load that .mpg into VideoReDo? By the way, in what
    >> programs is there no audio from the .mpg that you created
    >> with VideoReDo?
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>
    >VideoReDo reports the .mpg file as same as vob showed (above). I am using
    >Windows Media Player 9 to play the .mpg file - and getting no sound.
    >
    >BUT - your second question prompted me to drop the .mpg file into Pinnacle
    >Studio and - presto - Pinnacle plays the sound just fine (on a different
    >computer). And on the second computer, Windows Media Player also works fine
    >with this mpeg's sound track. Well, I haven't gigured it out, but if it
    >works in Studio, that's all I really care about. Thanks LOADS for your
    >thoughts - and I'll take any parting shots anyone want to contribute.
    >
    >Bob

    Make sure the vob files are with a folder called "VIDEO_TS". Make sure
    you have the ac3 codec from Pinnacle add-on.

    In Studio 9 go to File -> Import dvd and locate the Video_ts folder.

    It should convert the vob to mpeg.

    "InOverMyHead" <bbart@nospam.ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "RS" <mail@mail.com> wrote in message

    >> > Good chance its AC3 audio.
    >> >

    >> Current versions of VideoReDo have no problems with AC3,
    >> that I'm aware of. The stream selection help page even uses
    >> AC3 streams in the example.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Here's specs for audio stream:
    > Stream ID: AC3: 0 (x80)
    > Bit Rate: 448 Kbps
    > Channels: 5.1
    > Sampling Rate: 48000 Hz
    >
    > Bob

    Does VideoReDo accept 5.1 Channel AC3?

    Pretty sure that it does. I believe that I converted .vob files over
    to .mpeg with VideoRedo a while back, certainly before the newest
    version.

    Unlike Womble, it won't convert the audio, just carrys it over.

    Cheers...

Tuner Cards Graphics