Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

"Remote Assistance connection could not be established bec..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 8:52:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I have read many of the posts and answers regarding this error but no joy as
yet.

I am trying to conned to a novice computer. Both of us are using Win XP
Home. I am on Road Runner cable and the novice is on Comcast. He does not
have a firewall other than the built-in one and we have tried it with this
disabled. He does NOT have a router or wireless system. He only has the
cable modem going to his computer. I am behind a router and have windows
firewall disabled. From what I have read it should make no difference that
I, as the one responding to the email invitation, am behind a router.

What are the possible causes and solutions for this common error about "host
name not resolved" when the inviter (novice) is NOT behind a router?

Thanks, Paul
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Paul Schumacher <PDSCHU@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> I am trying to conned to a novice computer. Both of us are using Win
> XP Home. I am on Road Runner cable and the novice is on Comcast. He
> does not have a firewall other than the built-in one and we have
> tried it with this disabled. He does NOT have a router or wireless
> system. He only has the cable modem going to his computer. I am
> behind a router and have windows firewall disabled. From what I have
> read it should make no difference that I, as the one responding to
> the email invitation, am behind a router.

You've already covered the most common causes of this problem. To provide a
little more diagnostic information, can you try discovering and posting the
following:

1. What is the IP address of the novice's computer? (obfuscate the final
octet so we just see the first three).

2. Can you open the request file "RAInvitation.msrcincident" in Notepad,
then copy and paste the contents into a follow-up in this thread. Again,
you might wish to obfuscate the final octet of any IP address that you see
inside the ticket. Provided the Novice set a password on the invitation,
posting the ticket here should not be a security threat, and obfuscating the
final octet of the IP addresses is double-protection.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 7:37:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Robin,

Unless you know of a way to the the IP address of the novice I will have to
find out his IP address tonight as he is at work at the present time. The
invitation is printed below as requested.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Unicode" ?><UPLOADINFO
TYPE="Escalated"><UPLOADDATA USERNAME="Paul Storm"
RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.1.XXX:3389;storm1:3389,*,LXAkAmFSjmWyQN3IGsbeXtpUrR1DXK5CV47LlXMOIWQ=,*,*,e0t5psYl8YzlY9LmbFekRsdIYNc="
RCTICKETENCRYPTED="1" DtStart="1122433349" DtLength="60"
PassStub="5r@1YrYizgoV86" L="0" /></UPLOADINFO>


Thanks for your help!
Paul
Related resources
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 8:54:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Paul Schumacher <PDSCHUns@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> RCTICKET="65538,1,192.168.1.XXX:3389;storm1:3389,

This demonstrates that the Novice is in fact behind a NAT router, as his IP
address is in the 192.168.1.xxx range (typical of Linksys and some other
router manufacturers).

That is whay you, as Expert, cannot connect to him as Novice, in Remote
Assistance.

To get Remote Assistance working, you will need to discover what is
performing this NAT routing. If it is a home router, the Novice needs to
configure the home router so that UPnP support is enabled.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 8:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thanks for your help. I will talk to my friend again tonight and try to find
the router. Thanks again.
July 27, 2005 8:54:38 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

> To get Remote Assistance working, you will need to discover what is
> performing this NAT routing. If it is a home router, the Novice needs to
> configure the home router so that UPnP support is enabled.
>
> --
I have the exact same issue. I know the IP address showing in the invitation
is an internal (10.x.x.x) The novice in my case is also hooked via cable
modem direct to computer. No routers, etc. I had the novice go to whatsmyip
and give me the number showing there, and tried to ping it with no reply. If
I had his actual IP address, and could get a ping response, how can I modify
the request to make the connection? I dont believe he has any ability to
control his cable modem to set up a NAT.
Anonymous
July 27, 2005 11:48:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

DJ <DJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have the exact same issue. I know the IP address showing in the
> invitation is an internal (10.x.x.x) The novice in my case is also
> hooked via cable modem direct to computer. No routers, etc. I had the
> novice go to whatsmyip and give me the number showing there, and
> tried to ping it with no reply. If I had his actual IP address, and
> could get a ping response, how can I modify the request to make the
> connection?

In this case, it sounds as if this Novice is being provided with a
restricted NAT-ted service by his ISP. If this is the case, then you are
stuck.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 12:11:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

There are a lot of cable modems out there that include NAT and other
firewall/router functions all in one device. Odds are that is what you're up
against. Whatismyip will show the public IP for them, but most of the home
devices are defaulting to not respond to pings by default. You should be
able to manually edit the assist request with the ip provided by whatismyip
and connect through. If that doesn't work, then the remote station may need
to enter the configuration of the device to set up port forwarding. Usually
this can be done by entering 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1 in IE to access the
web configuration for the device. Once there they would need to enable port
forwarding or set up their non-routable IP as being in the DMZ. These
settings will be device/manufacturer specific as to how to access them and
change them.
--
Nill


"DJ" wrote:

> > To get Remote Assistance working, you will need to discover what is
> > performing this NAT routing. If it is a home router, the Novice needs to
> > configure the home router so that UPnP support is enabled.
> >
> > --
> I have the exact same issue. I know the IP address showing in the invitation
> is an internal (10.x.x.x) The novice in my case is also hooked via cable
> modem direct to computer. No routers, etc. I had the novice go to whatsmyip
> and give me the number showing there, and tried to ping it with no reply. If
> I had his actual IP address, and could get a ping response, how can I modify
> the request to make the connection? I dont believe he has any ability to
> control his cable modem to set up a NAT.
!