  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 12, 2004 8:31:35 PM

Hi

I read a couple of recent post on this group and didn't find the
answer to my problem so I hope someone could help me.

I have recently installed SP2 and now my laptop wireless connection
keeps hanging up: reason there is another wireless network near my
house (probably on of my neighbor) and windows xp sp2 is probably
switching back and forth from mine to the other connection (both with
wep keys). So my question: how to turn off this new windows xp sp2
option to "AUTO Look for better wireless" connection. (I don't need
that option!!!)

Thanks

TNM

More about : sp2 wifi headache

November 12, 2004 10:03:26 PM

Tin Ngo-Minh wrote:

> Hi
>
> I read a couple of recent post on this group and didn't find the
> answer to my problem so I hope someone could help me.
>
> I have recently installed SP2 and now my laptop wireless connection
> keeps hanging up: reason there is another wireless network near my
> house (probably on of my neighbor) and windows xp sp2 is probably
> switching back and forth from mine to the other connection (both with
> wep keys). So my question: how to turn off this new windows xp sp2
> option to "AUTO Look for better wireless" connection. (I don't need
> that option!!!)
>
> Thanks
>
> TNM

Somewhere in the wireless network settings - possibly under Advanced -
is a box you can check that says something like "only connect to
preferred networks". This will stop your laptop from trying to connect
to everyone else's network. Sorry to not be more precise, but I don't
have my laptop on right now. Just look around in there and you'll find
it.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Tin Ngo-Minh wrote:

> Hi
>
> I read a couple of recent post on this group and didn't find the
> answer to my problem so I hope someone could help me.
>
> I have recently installed SP2 and now my laptop wireless connection
> keeps hanging up: reason there is another wireless network near my
> house (probably on of my neighbor) and windows xp sp2 is probably
> switching back and forth from mine to the other connection (both with
> wep keys). So my question: how to turn off this new windows xp sp2
> option to "AUTO Look for better wireless" connection. (I don't need
> that option!!!)
>
> Thanks
>
> TNM

when you upgrade to SP2 one solution could be to uninstall
your wireless card and reinstall it.
(as Belkin told me to do, it didn't help much here).

Wireless without WEP or WPA work fine here on several
machines. With WPA the wireless desktops are oke, nut not
the laptop.

My Belkin card does not show the possibility
of choosing WPA which is supposed to be an XWP/sp2 problem.
so I am still looking for an upgrade
hans
!