Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which AVI Format For Rendering in Pinnacle 9

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 13, 2005 5:31:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi All

I am a bit of a newbie to video editing, but have perservered with
Pinnacle 9 & now have some nice films ready to render.
But there are a bewildering array of options within the AVI section.
Which would anyone recommend as a good trade-off between quality & file
size/speed?
Is it worth buying the MPEG-4 encoder?

As payment, I offer this joke wot I thought of the other day.

"My parents are druids. When I was kid, tehy were always guilt-tripping
me about the sacrifices tehy'd made for me."

Thanks very much

Tony
September 13, 2005 8:01:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Tony wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am a bit of a newbie to video editing, but have perservered with
> Pinnacle 9 & now have some nice films ready to render.
> But there are a bewildering array of options within the AVI section.
> Which would anyone recommend as a good trade-off between quality & file
> size/speed?
> Is it worth buying the MPEG-4 encoder?
>
> As payment, I offer this joke wot I thought of the other day.
>
> "My parents are druids. When I was kid, tehy were always guilt-tripping
> me about the sacrifices tehy'd made for me."
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Tony
>

It all depends on what your wanting to do with the videos. Small size
for web? Store on CD's for computer viewing? Put on DVD? Different tools
for different desired results.

No, prolly not worth buying the Mpg4 encoder. You can get Xvid and
Virtualdub for free an make excellent compressed files to watch on a
computer.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 8:39:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

RS wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > I am a bit of a newbie to video editing, but have perservered with
> > Pinnacle 9 & now have some nice films ready to render.
> > But there are a bewildering array of options within the AVI section.
> > Which would anyone recommend as a good trade-off between quality & file
> > size/speed?
> > Is it worth buying the MPEG-4 encoder?
> >
> > As payment, I offer this joke wot I thought of the other day.
> >
> > "My parents are druids. When I was kid, tehy were always guilt-tripping
> > me about the sacrifices tehy'd made for me."
> >
> > Thanks very much
> >
> > Tony
> >
>
> It all depends on what your wanting to do with the videos. Small size
> for web? Store on CD's for computer viewing? Put on DVD? Different tools
> for different desired results.
>
> No, prolly not worth buying the Mpg4 encoder. You can get Xvid and
> Virtualdub for free an make excellent compressed files to watch on a
> computer.


If for the computer I tend to use .wmv which gives me excellent quality
with small file size.
Related resources
September 14, 2005 1:08:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

marks542004@yahoo.com wrote:
> RS wrote:
>
>>Tony wrote:
>>
>>>Hi All
>>>
>>>I am a bit of a newbie to video editing, but have perservered with
>>>Pinnacle 9 & now have some nice films ready to render.
>>>But there are a bewildering array of options within the AVI section.
>>>Which would anyone recommend as a good trade-off between quality & file
>>>size/speed?
>>>Is it worth buying the MPEG-4 encoder?
>>>
>>>As payment, I offer this joke wot I thought of the other day.
>>>
>>>"My parents are druids. When I was kid, tehy were always guilt-tripping
>>>me about the sacrifices tehy'd made for me."
>>>
>>>Thanks very much
>>>
>>>Tony
>>>
>>
>>It all depends on what your wanting to do with the videos. Small size
>>for web? Store on CD's for computer viewing? Put on DVD? Different tools
>>for different desired results.
>>
>>No, prolly not worth buying the Mpg4 encoder. You can get Xvid and
>>Virtualdub for free an make excellent compressed files to watch on a
>>computer.
>
>
>
> If for the computer I tend to use .wmv which gives me excellent quality
> with small file size.
>

Quicktime and Xvid will give you excellent results also. QT Pro is
inexpensive and Xvid is free.
September 15, 2005 5:42:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Ah, I was a bit vague, I admit.
I want to render short sections of home movies (eg "A trip to the
park") which I could then pull together on a DVD using Nero.

When rendering as AVI, it does offer the option of "Same as Project"
(ie same settings as captured footage) which it refers to as "DV
Encoder". I suppose this would be the best option as there's no
conversion to other formats, but there are other options available such
as Indeo or MJPEG. I wondered if anyone had made an exhaustive
comparison of the formats.

Thanks very much

Tony
September 18, 2005 3:59:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Hi Tony,

I am an experienced Studio 9 user. I haven't done an exhaustive comparison
but (for your purpose) always have good results creating an avi with the "DV
Encoder".

If you are tight on disk space, you might put it MPEG2 format; but some
versions of Studio 9.X are notoriously bad at handling MPEG2 files (Audio &
Video get out-of-sync a few minutes into the video) -- so test it before
rendering a lot of files.

I am currently stuck at Studio version 9.3.5.10. The latest version is
9.4.3, but the 9.4.X series has a bug that prevents compiling DVDs on some
systems (mine included).

Two great sources of information on Pinnacle Studio are at:
Studio 9 Webboard:
http://webboard.pinnaclesys.com/read_forums.asp?Webboar...
Pinnacle Knowledge Base:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwsupport/InteractiveSuppor...

Dave

"Tony" <ant_in_wales@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1126816929.944318.82820@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Ah, I was a bit vague, I admit.
> I want to render short sections of home movies (eg "A trip to the
> park") which I could then pull together on a DVD using Nero.
>
> When rendering as AVI, it does offer the option of "Same as Project"
> (ie same settings as captured footage) which it refers to as "DV
> Encoder". I suppose this would be the best option as there's no
> conversion to other formats, but there are other options available such
> as Indeo or MJPEG. I wondered if anyone had made an exhaustive
> comparison of the formats.
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Tony
>
September 20, 2005 9:18:43 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks very much Dave

I have tried the 'DV Encoder' and it works fine - good picture quality
& very fast rendering, so I'll be sticking with that.

Thanks for your help

Tony
!