Remote Assistance (RA) vs. Remote Desktop (RD)

Hello,

My question concerns Remote Assistance (RA) vs. Remote Desktop (RD) to XP
Pro desktops. Providing tech support, I am trying to see if anyone knows how
to setup RD session I initiate to a Windows XP Pro OS to "share" sessions
with the end user, other than via RA.

I know that if one goes to: My Computer, right click, properties, Remote
tab, Remote Desktop box and checks the "Allow users to connect remotely to
this computer", this computer can basically become a type of Terminal Server,
allowing users to remote in and use the computer.

Understand, I come from NetMeeting and PCAnywhere days, where when remotely
controlling a system, the user sees everything such as to train them and show
them how to, where to and why to do something on their systems. Attempting to
avoid PCAnywhere or other 3rd party software expenses, we are trying to get
RD auto-connection sessions to work in our favor - with less interaction from
the user to initiate invites, but enable them to see what we do.

With RD, when I remote in and log in (again, without invite via the user),
the users sessions are getting locked out (screen blanks then says system has
been locked). They cannot see what I do, logged in as an administrator or
logged in under their profile/account either. Further, when the RD session is
complete, users experience "local login policy disabled" errors sometimes and
find only a reboot fixes there ability to log back into a computer recently
RD'd by me.

Is there some configurations I cant seem to find, or perhaps some registry
hacks that can be performed to allow me as a support person to just simply RD
their systems, log in and be sharing the exact same session I am in under
with the end user, specifically for training purposes - like back with
NetMeeting and PCAnywhere?

If so, your guidance or advice on how to perform such actions would be of
great assistance.

I am flat out confused why remote assistance invites seemingly work
different than support dept initiated auto logins via RD - perhaps just the
programming intentions of Microsoft...as they are somewhat different - yet,
not really in my opinion.

Anyone care to comment, offer suggestions or input...I am open to any advice
and am comfortable with all levels of direction.

Kindest regards, iukini

iukini <iukini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Is there some configurations I cant seem to find, or perhaps some
> registry hacks that can be performed to allow me as a support person
> to just simply RD their systems, log in and be sharing the exact same
> session I am in under with the end user, specifically for training
> purposes - like back with NetMeeting and PCAnywhere?

No, this is not what Remote Desktop does, nor what it is designed to do.

You need either Remote Assistance, or a 3rd-party product, to share the
screen with the assisted user.

Remote Assistance can be requested by the Novice. In a corporate
environment (domain), Remote Assistance can be "offered" by the Expert,
without the Novice making the request first.

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Thank you for confirming....Any suggestions on the "local login policy
disabled" type errors?

When I Remote Desktop to a system, perform tasks, complete the session and
have users log back in, some get messages to the effect that they can no
longer log back into their systems, some type of "local login policy" or such
error occurs.

As noted, fortunately, a system reboot seems to resolve such complication.
Would you know what correction must be made to resolve this permanently?

Kindest regards,
iukini

"Robin Walker [MVP]" wrote:

> iukini <iukini@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > Is there some configurations I cant seem to find, or perhaps some
> > registry hacks that can be performed to allow me as a support person
> > to just simply RD their systems, log in and be sharing the exact same
> > session I am in under with the end user, specifically for training
> > purposes - like back with NetMeeting and PCAnywhere?
>
> No, this is not what Remote Desktop does, nor what it is designed to do.
>
> You need either Remote Assistance, or a 3rd-party product, to share the
> screen with the assisted user.
>
> Remote Assistance can be requested by the Novice. In a corporate
> environment (domain), Remote Assistance can be "offered" by the Expert,
> without the Novice making the request first.
>
> --
> Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
> rdhw@cam.ac.uk

My guess would be that the users are trying to log back in before you are
completely logged out of the remote machine. When you log out, wait until
the logout completes and the RDC window closes before you tell them to try
and log back in.
--
Nill