Need Recommendations For New Edit Software, Please Help

Hey, everybody!

I was a happy Ulead Video Studio 7 user up until about two weeks ago. I had
purchased the Ulead DVD Factory 4 so I could do things like put a whole
season of Monk on a single DVD (well, half season, but you know what I
mean) to view on my laptop on the go. Well, loading it messed up my .dll
files, apparently. Now, VS7 is leaving a very short but very noticable
sound gap when I make video clips. As I am also an amateur filmmaker, this
is not good. This happened once before when I installed the DVD Factory 2,
but reinstalling fixed the problem. Now, I've done reinstalls and used my
System Restore, and nothing works.

I figure, if I'm going to finish this project, I need new video editing
software. I will be going out this Saturday with the intention of
purchasing it. But there are several choices, and I don't know which is
best. So I'm turning to you guys. My questions are as follows:

1) What is good to use? Should I go with Ulead 9 (since the DVD software
is current, I'm hoping they'll work and play well together)? I also
noticed Sony has one called Vegas. I'm leery of Sony since I have had
quite a few problems with their products (video tapes, had to replace my
PS2 twice now), but software isn't the same as hardware, how is their
stuff? I've also heard that Pinnacle is crash happy, and I have been
disappointed in Magix products because they strike me as user hostile.
This isn't to say I won't give them a chance, I just want an idea before I
drop a ton of cash on something that I'm going to hate and can't return.
I'm looking in the $100-150 range, but I could be persuaded to go higher if
I know I'll get value for the money. I capture through a seperate program,
so if the software doesn't include it's own capture option, just import
video, I'm cool with that. I also would like decent documentation or
access to a help community if I'm learning a new editor, since everyone
does things a bit differently. I'm running WinXP on a 3Ghz HP computer
with an Intel CPU and 512M of memory.

2) For future reference: does anyone here run Main Actor on a Linux box?
I have a Linux computer and am thinking of moving my editing there if the
situation with editing on the Winbox doesn't get any better. How is Main
Actor from a stability, feature, and documentation point of view?

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.

rs

Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
> Hey, everybody!
>

> 1) What is good to use? Should I go with Ulead 9 (since the DVD software
> is current, I'm hoping they'll work and play well together)? I also
> noticed Sony has one called Vegas. I'm leery of Sony since I have had
> quite a few problems with their products (video tapes, had to replace my
> PS2 twice now), but software isn't the same as hardware, how is their
> stuff? I've also heard that Pinnacle is crash happy, and I have been
> disappointed in Magix products because they strike me as user hostile.
> This isn't to say I won't give them a chance, I just want an idea before I
> drop a ton of cash on something that I'm going to hate and can't return.
> I'm looking in the $100-150 range, but I could be persuaded to go higher if
> I know I'll get value for the money. I capture through a seperate program,
> so if the software doesn't include it's own capture option, just import
> video, I'm cool with that. I also would like decent documentation or
> access to a help community if I'm learning a new editor, since everyone
> does things a bit differently. I'm running WinXP on a 3Ghz HP computer
> with an Intel CPU and 512M of memory.

I've been using the Vegas Video line for several years now. Prefer DVD
Lab over the DVD Architect Product you can get bundled with Vegas. Quite
happy myself with Vegas, stable and suits my style. Also really like the
sound editing features built in.

"Pete Holland Jr." <peterg@uti.com> schreef in bericht
> Hey, everybody!
>
> I was a happy Ulead Video Studio 7 user up until about two weeks ago. I
> had
> purchased the Ulead DVD Factory 4 so I could do things like put a whole
> season of Monk on a single DVD (well, half season, but you know what I
> mean) to view on my laptop on the go. Well, loading it messed up my .dll
> files, apparently. Now, VS7 is leaving a very short but very noticable
> sound gap when I make video clips. As I am also an amateur filmmaker,
> this
> is not good. This happened once before when I installed the DVD Factory
> 2,
> but reinstalling fixed the problem. Now, I've done reinstalls and used my
> System Restore, and nothing works.
>
> I figure, if I'm going to finish this project, I need new video editing
> software. I will be going out this Saturday with the intention of
> purchasing it. But there are several choices, and I don't know which is
> best. So I'm turning to you guys. My questions are as follows:
>
> 1) What is good to use? Should I go with Ulead 9 (since the DVD software
> is current, I'm hoping they'll work and play well together)? I also
> noticed Sony has one called Vegas. I'm leery of Sony since I have had
> quite a few problems with their products (video tapes, had to replace my
> PS2 twice now), but software isn't the same as hardware, how is their
> stuff? I've also heard that Pinnacle is crash happy, and I have been
> disappointed in Magix products because they strike me as user hostile.
> This isn't to say I won't give them a chance, I just want an idea before I
> drop a ton of cash on something that I'm going to hate and can't return.
> I'm looking in the $100-150 range, but I could be persuaded to go higher
> if
> I know I'll get value for the money. I capture through a seperate
> program,
> so if the software doesn't include it's own capture option, just import
> video, I'm cool with that. I also would like decent documentation or
> access to a help community if I'm learning a new editor, since everyone
> does things a bit differently. I'm running WinXP on a 3Ghz HP computer
> with an Intel CPU and 512M of memory.
>
> 2) For future reference: does anyone here run Main Actor on a Linux box?
> I have a Linux computer and am thinking of moving my editing there if the
> situation with editing on the Winbox doesn't get any better. How is Main
> Actor from a stability, feature, and documentation point of view?
>
> Dobre utka,
> Pete Holland Jr.

Hi Pete,

I myself finally settled on

EditStudio 5 Pro by Pure Motion for Editing
(http://www.puremotion.com/index.htm)
DVD-lab Pro by Mediachance for authoring
(http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html)
CopyToDVD by VSO Software for burning

I am extremely content with this combo which is offered as a bundle by both
Pure Motion and Mediachance. The software is stable and not too expensive,
there is a co-operation between the three companies and the support through
their forums is very good. I have been using Pinnacle Studio software in the
past but I finally discarded it because it was too buggy for my taste.
--
Lou van Wijhe
Website: http://home.hccnet.nl/jl.van.wijhe/

Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
> Hey, everybody!
>
> I was a happy Ulead Video Studio 7 user up until about two weeks ago.
> I had purchased the Ulead DVD Factory 4 so I could do things like put
> a whole season of Monk on a single DVD (well, half season, but you
> know what I mean) to view on my laptop on the go. Well, loading it
> messed up my .dll files, apparently. Now, VS7 is leaving a very
> short but very noticable sound gap when I make video clips. As I am
> also an amateur filmmaker, this is not good. This happened once
> before when I installed the DVD Factory 2, but reinstalling fixed the
> problem. Now, I've done reinstalls and used my System Restore, and
> nothing works.
>
> I figure, if I'm going to finish this project, I need new video
> editing software. I will be going out this Saturday with the
> intention of purchasing it. But there are several choices, and I
> don't know which is best. So I'm turning to you guys. My questions
> are as follows:
>
> 1) What is good to use? Should I go with Ulead 9 (since the DVD
> software is current, I'm hoping they'll work and play well together)?
> I also noticed Sony has one called Vegas. I'm leery of Sony since I
> have had quite a few problems with their products (video tapes, had
> to replace my PS2 twice now), but software isn't the same as
> hardware, how is their stuff? I've also heard that Pinnacle is crash
> happy, and I have been disappointed in Magix products because they
> strike me as user hostile.
> This isn't to say I won't give them a chance, I just want an idea
> before I drop a ton of cash on something that I'm going to hate and
> can't return. I'm looking in the $100-150 range, but I could be
> persuaded to go higher if I know I'll get value for the money. I
> capture through a seperate program, so if the software doesn't
> include it's own capture option, just import video, I'm cool with
> that. I also would like decent documentation or access to a help
> community if I'm learning a new editor, since everyone does things a
> bit differently. I'm running WinXP on a 3Ghz HP computer with an
> Intel CPU and 512M of memory.

Cheap ($90 U.S.) is Vegas Movie Studio+DVD at http://tinyurl.com/anh9v
Expensive is Vegas+DVD for $675 U.S. at http://tinyurl.com/aucwz
Both have excellent support communities world-wide.
Trial versions of both are available for download.

Mike

For under $100 software I think you have 3 choices:

1) Pinnacle Studio 9 (now going to 10). This software is very easy to
use and loaded with features (especailly the plus version). You can
get it with a variety of hardware choices for analog & DV
inputs/outputs for under $200. You will see posts from guys who hate
Studio 9. Some users fo run into issues. The vast majority really love
it.

2) Vegas Movie Studio + DVD. Sony just released a new version of this
software. it is based on their more expensive and professional Vegas 6
software. Vegas Movie Studio is pretty easy to use, and it is loaded
with excellent integrated help tools. In the new feature you can
capture and edit files directly from Sony DVD camcorders!

3) Adobe Premiere Elements. A very good product based on their
Premiere Pro software. Not as easy to use as the other two. Good
feature set and a great first step if you think you'll be getting more
into video and eventually upgrading to Premeire Pro.

We've got a nice article on getting started
http://www.videoguys.com/started.html

I think you'll find it a good read. With these low cost software
titles, you milage will vary. For best results, run it in a fast
machine with at least 1GB of RAM, a good graphics card and a dedicated
hard d rive for your video files.

Gary
Videoguys.com http://www.videoguys.com
The Digital Video Editing & DVD Production Experts
800 323-2325 or Free DTV tech advice (516) 759-1615

All DTV purchases include our 30 day customer assurance program
and FREE tech support