Configuring a VPN for use with a dsl broadband connection

Andrew

I would like to configure a VPN between a office based file server and a
mobile machine. Both m/c's are running versions of XP and logins have been
set to allow the remote user to conncet as a properly authenticated member of
group on the offoce m/c.
Problem is I can't set the IP address for the remote machine to connect to.
The office conection is via a dsl setup and I have been given an IP address
for the internet connection by the ISP. After the ISP IP Address I expect to
see a modem (which is also my internal LAN DHCP server) and the IP Address of
the machine I wish to connect to.
If my ISP has given me an IP address 200.200.1.100, my dsl modem is
192.168.1.255 and the machine I wish to connect to is 192.168.1.100 with
subnet mask 255.255.255.0 how does this translate to a VPN configuration?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Andrew

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Addresses in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range are private IP addresses assigned by
a router. The address provided by your ISP (in your example 200.200.1.100)
is the public IP address. A router shares traffic from that public address
among multiple computers by assigning each a private address and directing
it's individual traffic. This is called NAT - network address translation.
You need to use the public IP address for the VPN connection. If the public
IP is assigned dynamically meaning it may change, you also need to address
that issue. The router must also be properly configured for VPN
pass-through.

I suggest you look at the following 3 links. The first two have very good
tutorials on basic networking including the above issues. The 3rd is a
dynamic DNS service which explains how to work around the dynamic address
problem.

http://ezlan.net/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.dyndns.com/