Problem viewing network computers/shares

June 2, 2004 7:53:12 PM

Please bear with me as I attempt to describe my problem.

I recently purchased an iPaq 4155 (asset viewer claims 4150, anyone know
why?). Through WiFi, I can access a web server running on a computer, who
we can refer to as "c6", from my PDA using an internal IP (192.168.x.x
range). Hooked up to a desktop computer via a USB cradle, I can connect to
c6's web server via a different internal IP address (10.x.x.x range). This
is to say that my PDA can connect to c6 from two different network subnets
using two different methods. In both modes (WiFi and USB cradle), when I
try to access c6 via "\\c6", "\\192.168.x.x", or "\\10.x.x.x" in File
Explorer, I get a message "The network path was not found.", followed by
"Network resource cannot be found or you do not have permission to access
the network.". Computers on both of my networks (192.168.x.x and 10.x.x.x)
are able to access c6 by both the NetBIOS name "c6" and via the proper IP
(depending on which subnet they are on). The network is domain-based, and
all computers login to c6 (which is the DC). I'm guessing that this is a
failure of the PDA to authenticate to c6 (perhaps due to lack of support in
Windows CE or File Explorer). Is there any way I can get this PDA to view
c6 shares like all other computers on my two networks are able to? Is there
possibly a third-party program that will provide/allow authentication so I
can accomplish this?
June 19, 2004 3:47:05 PM

I have also had this problem, although on a smaller scale.

I am running Windows XP Pro on a home wireless network, and an iPAQ 5550, I
can connect to the "All Users" share on Win XP from the iPAQ, this gives
read only access. I cannot connect to any shares that are private, despite
knowing the id / password required to access them, as I am not prompted for
this information. Does anyone know if you can pass the id and password in
the path?

!