split screen on JVC GR--D290U

My Friend has JVC GR--D290U digital camera.

Some of the video recorded has the screen split with the left half
still or frozen, while the right half continues to correctly play
moving video.

The left side pixelates a bit, it's not completely still.

Any ideas what causes that?

This only happens for the first few minutes of the video. Then the
rest of the video plays back fine with the whole screen playing back
moving accurate video.

Thanks,

Alex Glaros

alex_glaros@hotmail.com wrote in

> My Friend has JVC GR--D290U digital camera.
>
> Some of the video recorded has the screen split with the left half
> still or frozen, while the right half continues to correctly play
> moving video.
>
> The left side pixelates a bit, it's not completely still.
>
> Any ideas what causes that?
>
> This only happens for the first few minutes of the video. Then
> the rest of the video plays back fine with the whole screen
> playing back moving accurate video.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex Glaros

My guess is that the record heads are dirty, but that the tape sort
of clears the dirt out after a couple of minutes.

If so, a cleaning tape might help, but be sure to tell your friend
not to overdo it (that is, obey the instruction about how long to
run it - 5 or 10 seconds is typical, IIRC).

Otherwise, perhaps the recorder is wearing out, which is not the
good news.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)