Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I'm running a VNC server (in service mode) on a Windows XP Home pc.
Every time I connect to the server, it kicks whoever's using the machine
out of their desktop and back to the login screen if they are using a
restricted account. When they log back in, the VNC connection closes.

The server is running XP Home SP2, with RealVNC 4.1.1 server.

The client is running XP Pro SP2, with RealVNC 4.1.1 client.

Can anyone explain what's happening and what I can do to fix this? Do I
need to set permissions on a registry key or something? Thanks
--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"

Hmmm...I have not used RealVNC for a long long time, but I can say that
UltraVNC does not exhibit that symptom. Try it as an alternative...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run it through a VPN or SSH tunnel if
used over the public internet...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

"Chuck" <skilover_nospam@softhome.net> wrote in message
> I'm running a VNC server (in service mode) on a Windows XP Home pc.
> Every time I connect to the server, it kicks whoever's using the machine
> out of their desktop and back to the login screen if they are using a
> restricted account. When they log back in, the VNC connection closes.
>
> The server is running XP Home SP2, with RealVNC 4.1.1 server.
>
> The client is running XP Pro SP2, with RealVNC 4.1.1 client.
>
> Can anyone explain what's happening and what I can do to fix this? Do I
> need to set permissions on a registry key or something? Thanks
> --
> To reply by email remove "_nospam"

If I remember correctly, realvnc should have a setting in the server options
about allowing shared connections. Make sure you have the server set to
allow this and that the client is not set to disconnect existing connections.
This should stop this from happening.
--
Nill

Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
> Hmmm...I have not used RealVNC for a long long time, but I can say that
> UltraVNC does not exhibit that symptom. Try it as an alternative...
>
> http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
>
> Use the UltraVNC encryption plug-in or run it through a VPN or SSH tunnel if
> used over the public internet...

Installed UltraVNC and I think I'll stick with this version. So far
haven't seen the server doing weird things like it did with RealVNC.
Seems like it has more options too. Thanks for the tip. I didn't know
there were so many VNC's out there. A couple of years ago when I
downloaded it, the only one was the one from
www.uk.research.att.com/vnc. Seems like there's several derivatives now.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"