split screen on JVC GR--D290U

My Friend has JVC GR--D290U digital camera.

Some of the video recorded has the screen split with the left half
still or frozen, while the right half continues to correctly play
moving video.

The left side pixelates a bit, it's not completely still.

Any ideas what causes that?

This only happens for the first few minutes of the video. Then the
rest of the video plays back fine with the whole screen playing back
moving accurate video.

Thanks,

Alex Glaros

Gene E. Bloch Sep 15, 11:49 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
From: "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> - Find messages by
this author
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:49:22 -0500
Subject: Re: split screen on JVC GR--D290U
original | Report Abuse

alex_gla...@hotmail.com wrote in

> My Friend has JVC GR--D290U digital camera.

> Some of the video recorded has the screen split with the left half
> still or frozen, while the right half continues to correctly play
> moving video.

> The left side pixelates a bit, it's not completely still.

> Any ideas what causes that?

> This only happens for the first few minutes of the video. Then
> the rest of the video plays back fine with the whole screen
> playing back moving accurate video.

> Thanks,

> Alex Glaros

My guess is that the record heads are dirty, but that the tape sort
of clears the dirt out after a couple of minutes.

If so, a cleaning tape might help, but be sure to tell your friend
not to overdo it (that is, obey the instruction about how long to
run it - 5 or 10 seconds is typical, IIRC).

Otherwise, perhaps the recorder is wearing out, which is not the
good news.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

I played the tape in a different VCR and it played fine.

So maybe the tape was dirty when recording, and the VCR has better
heads to read through the dirt?

alex_glaros@hotmail.com wrote in news:1126810904.620375.304320
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> My Friend has JVC GR--D290U digital camera.
>
> Some of the video recorded has the screen split with the left half
> still or frozen, while the right half continues to correctly play
> moving video.
>
> The left side pixelates a bit, it's not completely still.
>
> Any ideas what causes that?
>
> This only happens for the first few minutes of the video. Then
the
> rest of the video plays back fine with the whole screen playing
back
> moving accurate video.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex Glaros
>

> Gene E. Bloch Sep 15, 11:49 am show options
>
> Newsgroups: rec.video.desktop
> From: "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> - Find messages
by
> this author
> Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:49:22 -0500
> Subject: Re: split screen on JVC GR--D290U
> Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message |
Show
> original | Report Abuse
>
> alex_gla...@hotmail.com wrote in

>> My Friend has JVC GR--D290U digital camera.
>
>> Some of the video recorded has the screen split with the left
half
>> still or frozen, while the right half continues to correctly play
>> moving video.
>

>> The left side pixelates a bit, it's not completely still.
>

>> Any ideas what causes that?
>

>> This only happens for the first few minutes of the video. Then
>> the rest of the video plays back fine with the whole screen
>> playing back moving accurate video.
>

>> Thanks,
>

>> Alex Glaros
>

> My guess is that the record heads are dirty, but that the tape
sort
> of clears the dirt out after a couple of minutes.
>
> If so, a cleaning tape might help, but be sure to tell your friend
> not to overdo it (that is, obey the instruction about how long to
> run it - 5 or 10 seconds is typical, IIRC).
>
> Otherwise, perhaps the recorder is wearing out, which is not the
> good news.
>
> Gino
>
> --
> Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
> letters617blochg3251
> replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom"
>

> I played the tape in a different VCR and it played fine.
>
> So maybe the tape was dirty when recording, and the VCR has better
> heads to read through the dirt?

You either need a new newsreader, or you need to learn how to use
the one you have.

You have to figure out how to post a reply to another post, while
marking the original post as quoted text, and while keeping your
reply in the original thread.

When I tracked down your answer to my post, it looks like my guess
was correct. Check the cleanliness of the first VCR's heads.

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251
replace the numbers by "at" and "dotcom"

I know how to reply. I was at work at the time where they have
software that blocks access to discussion groups and I tried to work
around it ;-)

Appreciate the advice.

Alex Glaros

alex_glaros@hotmail.com wrote in news:1127281925.229179.277790
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> I know how to reply. I was at work at the time where they have
> software that blocks access to discussion groups and I tried to work
> around it ;-)
>
> Appreciate the advice.
>
> Alex Glaros

OK - in that case, I'm sorry to be such a nuisance :-(

And of course, you get extra credit for working around the restrictions
at work :)

Gino