Analog Video Camera & Video Card?

I'm considering the use of a analog video camera to replace my webcam. Is
there a specific type of video card i should use? What are the
advantages/disadvantages of having a video card mounted inside or external
to the computer? My main purpose for all of the above is for video
conferencing.

"puns" wrote ...
> I'm considering the use of a analog video camera to replace my webcam. Is
> there a specific type of video card i should use? What are the
> advantages/disadvantages of having a video
> card mounted inside or external to the computer? My main
> purpose for all of the above is for video conferencing.

Well, first I'd guess that you are limited to whatever devices are
supported by your video conferencing software application, your
operating system and computer.

(PS: This newsgroup is about video editing and post-production.
Your question may be better answered in a newsgroup that was
chartered for computer video hardware and/or teleconferencing/
webcams, etc.)

"puns" <puns@verizon.net> wrote in news:9knWe.3801$si2.1660@trnddc06:

> I'm considering the use of a analog video camera to replace my webcam.
> Is there a specific type of video card i should use? What are the
> advantages/disadvantages of having a video card mounted inside or
> external to the computer? My main purpose for all of the above is for
> video conferencing.

As was noted - maybe a better place to ask the question would be a group
dedicated to that purpose. Generally speaking though - in my experiences I
find a Sony HandyCam to be perfect if you are wanting to spend that amount
of money. A Sony Hi8 Analog HandyCam will connect to a TV-Card. Most
Video Conferencing software - such as NetMeeting will support any type of
capture device you have installed. A TV-Card attached to a PCI slot and
the HandyCam attached to it - will give you true 30fps capability and you
will be limited to what size you send across the Net by your connection
type. You will need a good Microphone for capturing your audio and your
sound-card should be full-duplex - so if you have an onboard soundcard it
may or not be able to handle full-duplex meaning you will need a
Soundblaster Audio Card as well.

To use the HandyCam - you remove the Battery and use the AC adapter (else
it will turn itself off to save the battery) and just turn on the Camera -
once you select Composite on the TV-Card and in your Video Conference
software select the TV_Card as the capture source - you are good to go.

Be sure to obtain a mini-video tripod for stability in broadcasting as
well.

cya