a network cable unplugged????

i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable is
unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i still get
the message. the problem is that i can get internet access fine on my laptop
but the same computer will not communicate with my desktop. i need to set up
a printer wirelessly and it won't find my printer hooked up to my desktop. i
would also like to share some files from desktop to my laptop.

thank you for your time,
adam
4 answers Last reply
More about network cable unplugged

    Adam wrote:
    > i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable
    > is unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i
    > still get the message. the problem is that i can get internet access
    > fine on my laptop but the same computer will not communicate with my
    > desktop. i need to set up a printer wirelessly and it won't find my
    > printer hooked up to my desktop. i would also like to share some
    > files from desktop to my laptop.

    What OS on both?
    Firewall properly configured to allow this?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I have XP on both the laptop and desktop. I have tried disabling the firewall
    and nothing seems to help.
    Thanks,
    Adam

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Adam wrote:
    > > i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable
    > > is unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i
    > > still get the message. the problem is that i can get internet access
    > > fine on my laptop but the same computer will not communicate with my
    > > desktop. i need to set up a printer wirelessly and it won't find my
    > > printer hooked up to my desktop. i would also like to share some
    > > files from desktop to my laptop.
    >
    > What OS on both?
    > Firewall properly configured to allow this?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    From the Practically Networked site...

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/specificbroblems.htm

    **************
    Error Message: Network Cable Unplugged

    besides not having a cable physically plugged into the network card. The
    message really means that the network card doesn't detect a live link to
    another device on the other end of the cable.

    Possible Solutions:

    a.. Download and install the latest network card driver program.
    b.. Check the cabling - a bad cable will prevent link detection.
    Substitute a cable that's known to be good.
    c.. Check the link lights on the device on the other end of the cable,
    whether it's a hub, switch, router, or a NIC in another computer. It should
    show a live link to the NIC. If it doesn't, try a different port.
    d.. Auto-detecting speed and duplex mode can be unreliable. Set them
    manually. Most routers and switches use 100Mb, full duplex. Hubs can only
    use half duplex.
    **************

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have XP on both the laptop and desktop. I have tried disabling the
    >firewall
    > and nothing seems to help.
    > Thanks,
    > Adam
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
    >
    >> Adam wrote:
    >> > i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable
    >> > is unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i
    >> > still get the message. the problem is that i can get internet access
    >> > fine on my laptop but the same computer will not communicate with my
    >> > desktop. i need to set up a printer wirelessly and it won't find my
    >> > printer hooked up to my desktop. i would also like to share some
    >> > files from desktop to my laptop.
    >>
    >> What OS on both?
    >> Firewall properly configured to allow this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Shenan Stanley
    >> MS-MVP
    >> --
    >> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 18:11:01 -0700, "Adam"
    <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >i am getting a message saying "Local Area Connection A network cable is
    >unplugged." I am sure that they are all plugged in properly, but i still get
    >the message. the problem is that i can get internet access fine on my laptop
    >but the same computer will not communicate with my desktop. i need to set up
    >a printer wirelessly and it won't find my printer hooked up to my desktop. i
    >would also like to share some files from desktop to my laptop.
    >
    >thank you for your time,
    >adam

    This (anoying :/ ) message is common on my Toshiba laptop (wireless
    unavailable) when using the "other" connection
    ..
    Are ALL devices (SPECIFIC to connected port) set in the same IP
    address range and subnet mask? If DHCP, is there a single DHCP server?

    Is the desktop computer set for file and printer sharing (it won't
    show if not)?
    Is the Workgroup name the same (and is set for workgroup, not domain)?

    , _
    , | \ MKA: Steve Urbach
    , | )erek No JUNK in my email please
    , ____|_/ragonsclaw dragonsclawJUNK@JUNKmindspring.com