RDC and VPN

Hello,

I am experiencing difficulty in making a remote desktop connection over a
VPN. I can connect with RD over our local network though. When I connect to
the VPN, I can ping the computer that I want to RD to, and I can even see
it in explorer, I just can't connect via remote desktop. I thought it might
be a firewall problem, but Windows firewall is allowing that exception. Any
ideas? I'm running WinXP SP2.

Thanks,
Andrew
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    Hi Andrew,

    Thanks for posting!

    I understand that a machine running Windows XP SP2 cannot connect the
    remote computer via Remote Desktop when connecting to VPN. If I have
    misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

    Based on the situation, due to short of necessary information, before we go
    any further, please help me know the following information which is
    important for me to troubleshoot the issue further.

    1. Please help me know more clear on your network. Can I assume all Windows
    XP SP2 cannot connect with RD via VPN though it works over LAN?
    Additionally, Do you mean you connect to VPN over WAN or LAN?

    2. Please post the exact error message when connecting with RD via VPN or
    take a screenshot.

    3. Please post the result of IPCONFIG /ALL in command line.

    4. Please help me connect MPS network report.

    The Detailed steps are as the following:

    Download the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE from the following link and then run this
    tool to gather some information from the problematic computer:

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30b0bd9
    15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE

    To run this tool:

    1. Double-click on the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE file.

    I understand this process may take some time, however it will not have a
    negative effect on the performance.

    2. A CAB file will be generated in the
    %systemroot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab directory called
    %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
    generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.

    3. Send the CAB file as an attachment to v-jasont@microsoft.com

    If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------

    v-jasont@online.microsoft.com (Jason Tan (MSFT)) wrote in

    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > Thanks for posting!
    >
    > I understand that a machine running Windows XP SP2 cannot connect the
    > remote computer via Remote Desktop when connecting to VPN. If I have
    > misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Based on the situation, due to short of necessary information, before
    > we go any further, please help me know the following information which
    > is important for me to troubleshoot the issue further.
    >
    > 1. Please help me know more clear on your network. Can I assume all
    > Windows XP SP2 cannot connect with RD via VPN though it works over
    > LAN? Additionally, Do you mean you connect to VPN over WAN or LAN?
    >
    > 2. Please post the exact error message when connecting with RD via VPN
    > or take a screenshot.
    >
    > 3. Please post the result of IPCONFIG /ALL in command line.
    >
    > 4. Please help me connect MPS network report.
    >
    > The Detailed steps are as the following:
    >
    > Download the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE from the following link and then run
    > this tool to gather some information from the problematic computer:
    >
    > http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/1/bb139fcb-4aac-4fe5-a579-30
    > b0bd9 15706/MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE
    >
    > To run this tool:
    >
    > 1. Double-click on the MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE file.
    >
    > I understand this process may take some time, however it will not have
    > a negative effect on the performance.
    >
    > 2. A CAB file will be generated in the
    > %systemroot%\MPSReports\Network\Reports\Cab directory called
    > %COMPUTERNAME%_MPSReports.CAB. The CAB file will contain the reports
    > generated by the MPS Reporting Tool.
    >
    > 3. Send the CAB file as an attachment to v-jasont@microsoft.com
    >
    > If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    > so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    > rights.
    >

    > --------------------

    Thanks for your reply. Here are my answers:

    1. We do have one machine (XP SP2) that can connect. But mine and another
    cannot. We connect to VPN over WAN. Connecting with RD over the LAN from
    all machines is OK.

    2. "The remote connection has timed out. Please try connecting to the
    remote computer again."

    3. Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Gupta
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network
    Connection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-07-E9-59-EF-28
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    198.6.1.2
    Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.3

    4. I ran your tool (MPSRPT_NETWORK.EXE) but no cab file was created. I do
    have a number of files in the C:\WINDOWS\MPSReports\Network\Reports folder.
    Would you like me to zip them and send to you?

    Thanks,
    Andrew

    Hello,

    Thanks for your update!

    You may find the cab file in the CAB folder under
    C:\WINDOWS\MPSReports\Network\Reports. Additionally, ZIP those numbers of
    files is also a choice. Please send the the report to me for further
    research. Thanks for your time and effort.

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thanks for your update!
    >
    > You may find the cab file in the CAB folder under
    > C:\WINDOWS\MPSReports\Network\Reports. Additionally, ZIP those numbers
    > of files is also a choice. Please send the the report to me for
    > further research. Thanks for your time and effort.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
    > so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

    > rights.

    Thanks for your reply. This time that CAB file was created and I attached
    it in my email to you.

    Andrew

    Hello,

    Thanks for your cooperation. I have received the report and I am sorry that
    I cannot find any clue in it for now.

    Based on your description, "We do have one machine (XP SP2) that can
    connect. But mine and another
    | cannot. We connect to VPN over WAN. Connecting with RD over the LAN from
    | all machines is OK."

    Can I assume that all machine including the two machines(yours and another)
    can connect the target machine with RD over LAN? However, only these two
    probmatic machines cannot connect with RD through VPN over WAN to the
    target machine.

    Based on my research, I would like to provide some information for your
    reference:

    1. When connecting through VPN, please ensure you can ping the target
    machine success.

    2. Pleaes ensure the user account in the member of Remote Desktop group of
    the target machine.

    if you can directly connect to the destination computer through regular
    Terminal Service client

    Remote Desktop Connection Software Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

    3. To connect with RD by IP address of target machine, what is the result?

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please

    > Hello,
    >
    > Thanks for your cooperation. I have received the report and I am sorry
    > that I cannot find any clue in it for now.
    >
    > Based on your description, "We do have one machine (XP SP2) that can
    > connect. But mine and another cannot. We connect to VPN over WAN.
    Connecting with RD over the LAN from all machines is OK."

    > Can I assume that all machine including the two machines(yours and
    > another) can connect the target machine with RD over LAN? However,
    > only these two probmatic machines cannot connect with RD through VPN
    > over WAN to the target machine.

    Both machines can connect with RD to a computer on our LAN. However, only
    my machine cannot connect with RD to a computer over WAN. The other machine
    can.

    > Based on my research, I would like to provide some information for
    > your reference:
    >
    > 1. When connecting through VPN, please ensure you can ping the target
    > machine success.

    I can ping it, and I can see it in explorer also by typing \\computer-name
    in the address box.

    > 2. Pleaes ensure the user account in the member of Remote Desktop
    > group of the target machine.

    This is unclear to me. Do you mean the user account I use to connect over
    the VPN or my Windows user account?

    > if you can directly connect to the destination computer through
    > regular Terminal Service client

    I can't do this since the IP of the computer I want to connect to is not
    public. This is why I need the VPN.

    [snip]

    > 3. To connect with RD by IP address of target machine, what is the
    > result?

    I get the same result as with the computer name. The connection times
    out...

    > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
    > please feel free to let me know.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards,
    >
    > Jason Tan
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    [snip]

    I can't figure out why I cannot connect via RD over VPN but my collegue
    can... It is very frustrating.

    Andrew

    Hello,

    Thanks for your prompt update and continual effort.

    First I would like to make some explain on my second suggestion in my
    over the VPN is member of Remote Desktop Users group of target machine.

    Currently, I would like to provide you with the following suggestion:

    1. Scan the whole system with some anti-virus and anti-spyware software to
    ensure the system is clean.

    2. If you are using Spy sweeper, if so please uninstall Spy Sweeper
    ----------------------------------
    Based on my research, it is reported that Spy Sweeper may cause this issue.
    You will be able to logon to the terminal server once after you restart the
    server. If you have installed it on your terminal server, please uninstall
    this product and then reboot the server to see whether this problem is
    resolved.

    3. Are using ISA in the network? I have found some clue that ISA settings
    might cause this issue.

    4. To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the
    system into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:
    -------------------------------------
    Clean Boot:

    (1). Click Start, Click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks)
    in the Open box, and then click OK.

    (2). In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.

    (3). In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
    and then click the "Disable All" button.

    (4). Click OK and restart your computer.

    Thanks for your patience. Hope the information helps. If there is anything
    that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    --------------------
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
    | Subject: RE: RDC and VPN
    | From: Andrew Clark <lark047@hotmail.com>
    | Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 19:05:30 GMT
    |
    | v-jasont@online.microsoft.com (Jason Tan (MSFT)) wrote in
    |
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > Thanks for your cooperation. I have received the report and I am sorry
    | > that I cannot find any clue in it for now.
    | >
    | > Based on your description, "We do have one machine (XP SP2) that can
    | > connect. But mine and another cannot. We connect to VPN over WAN.
    | Connecting with RD over the LAN from all machines is OK."
    | >
    | > Can I assume that all machine including the two machines(yours and
    | > another) can connect the target machine with RD over LAN? However,
    | > only these two probmatic machines cannot connect with RD through VPN
    | > over WAN to the target machine.
    |
    | Both machines can connect with RD to a computer on our LAN. However, only
    | my machine cannot connect with RD to a computer over WAN. The other
    machine
    | can.
    |

    | > Based on my research, I would like to provide some information for
    | > your reference:
    | >
    | > 1. When connecting through VPN, please ensure you can ping the target
    | > machine success.
    |
    | I can ping it, and I can see it in explorer also by typing
    \\computer-name
    | in the address box.
    |

    | > 2. Pleaes ensure the user account in the member of Remote Desktop
    | > group of the target machine.
    |
    | This is unclear to me. Do you mean the user account I use to connect over
    | the VPN or my Windows user account?
    |

    | > if you can directly connect to the destination computer through
    | > regular Terminal Service client
    |
    | I can't do this since the IP of the computer I want to connect to is not
    | public. This is why I need the VPN.
    |
    | [snip]
    |

    | > 3. To connect with RD by IP address of target machine, what is the
    | > result?
    |
    | I get the same result as with the computer name. The connection times
    | out...
    |

    | > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear,
    | > please feel free to let me know.
    | >
    | > Thanks & Regards,
    | >
    | > Jason Tan
    | >
    | > Microsoft Online Partner Support
    |
    | [snip]
    |
    | I can't figure out why I cannot connect via RD over VPN but my collegue
    | can... It is very frustrating.
    |
    | Andrew

Remote Desktop Connection VPN Windows XP