  • Connection
  • Desktops
  • Windows XP
August 4, 2005 11:57:02 PM

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have a clue as to what's going on with Remote
Desktop. I have a PC at work and use my computer at home to connect via
Remote Desktop. This is connected to a domain (not a workgroup). My PC at
home is configured as a workgroup and I connect via DSL to my work PC and log
onto the domain. Generically this works fine. The problem I run into is that
at random times after sometimes single successful (other times multiple)
connects from home, when I try to log in again Remote desktop is NOT able to
connect to my work PC. It gets far enough to recognize my domain password
because when I put in the wrong password it tells me right away. But after
accepting my password my desktop session does NOT get established and after
about 30 seconds the remote desktop session just disappears.

I have found that a workaround for this issue is to log onto the remote work
PC by logging on as a LOCAL user (not onto the domain) with admin rights.
This logs in successfully, then I log off and I'm then able to log back onto
the work PC and log onto the domain as usual using my company supplied domain
user name.

However, this workaround is very painful since it causes me to lose all my
desktop apps which I have to reestablish once I get a successful connection
back onto the domain.

I am a software engineer and do a lot of work from home via Remote Desktop
so I frequently log on remotely, disconnect, log on at work then come home
and do it all over again. Many times I can get 5-10 successful remote desktop
connections before this problem happens but other times it locks up after
just a single remote desktop connection.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when this happens, it appears to be
just totally random. The indications are that some process locks up on the
remote work PC which for some reason logging on as a LOCAL user through
remote desktop seems to release and then it works fine again until the next
occurrence.

I must have this happen at least 3-5 times (sometimes more) every single
week with all the work I do from home.

Anyone have any ideas? Any thoughts on this will be much appreciated.
--
Thanks
Allen

More about : remote desktops sessions locking

August 10, 2005 10:27:01 PM

Does anyone from Microsoft who monitors this newsgroup have any ideas on this
issue? Anyone else? By the way I think I forgot to mention below that both
machines (work and home) are on Windows XP Pro and both have the latest
updates.
--
Thanks
Allen