How to edit text in DVD video?

Can someone please tell me how to edit and change, remove text, title,
captions in a video that has been captured from a DVD?

I have tried to use sw called ArcSoft ShowBiz that came with my HP DVD
writer, but cant seem to actually do this.

I can add titles however, but thats not what I want.

any help appreciated.

KI

please cc: kalmoka@yahoo.com

"Kal" wrote ...
> Can someone please tell me how to edit and change, remove
> text, title, captions in a video that has been captured from a
> DVD?

The titles, text, etc you rip from a DVD is not in a form that
can be edited. The best you can do is to reproduce whatever
titles you want and substitute them for the originals. If they
are text over live-action video, there is very little you can
do without access to the original components of the video
production.

> I can add titles however, but thats not what I want.

Actually, it is likely what you DO want. Your options are mainly
limited to adding your own titles, replacing the existing ones.

It may be possible to actually *edit* closed-caption content
as that is stored in a separate file. www.videohelp.com and
www.doom9.org are good sources of information about ripping
DVDS and modifying their contents.

Kal wrote:
> Can someone please tell me how to edit and change, remove text, title,
> captions in a video that has been captured from a DVD?
>
> I have tried to use sw called ArcSoft ShowBiz that came with my HP DVD
> writer, but cant seem to actually do this.
>
> I can add titles however, but thats not what I want.
>
> any help appreciated.

Sounds like a newbie question. If the titles are in the original video,
and not a separate element, what do you expect to do about that? You
can't go back into someone's project file and change titles. You can put
a lower third or any opaque background over top of them, then add your
own titles, but you can't remove original titles and reveal the video
behind them again.

Gary Eickmeier

"Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> Kal wrote:
>> Can someone please tell me how to edit and change, remove text, title,
>> captions in a video that has been captured from a DVD?
>>
>> I have tried to use sw called ArcSoft ShowBiz that came with my HP DVD
>> writer, but cant seem to actually do this.
>>
>> I can add titles however, but thats not what I want.
>>
>> any help appreciated.
>
> Sounds like a newbie question. If the titles are in the original video,
> and not a separate element, what do you expect to do about that? You can't
> third or any opaque background over top of them, then add your own titles,
> but you can't remove original titles and reveal the video behind them
> again.
>
> Gary Eickmeier

Well, what's being discussed is possible, to a limited
extent. There are VirtualDub filters like "RegionRemove"
that are used to "remove" icons and unmoving text. With
a little frame by frame touch-up you can achieve very
good results. While "RegionRemove" is a relatively quick
filter, any frame by frame manual manipulation is very, very
time consuming. If you are talking very short clips and you
are very motivated, it can be done.

Luck;
Ken

Richard Crowley wrote:

> The titles, text, etc you rip from a DVD is not in a form that
> can be edited. The best you can do is to reproduce whatever
> titles you want and substitute them for the originals. If they
> are text over live-action video, there is very little you can
> do without access to the original components of the video
> production.

I've heard vague mentions of people using OCR techniques to convert DVD
subtitles (which are just bitmap pictures superimposed over the video
image) back to editable text again. I cannot name any software that
would easily allow you to do this, though.

--
znark

"Jukka Aho" wrote ...
> Richard Crowley wrote:
>
>> The titles, text, etc you rip from a DVD is not in a form that
>> can be edited. The best you can do is to reproduce whatever
>> titles you want and substitute them for the originals. If they
>> are text over live-action video, there is very little you can
>> do without access to the original components of the video
>> production.
>
> I've heard vague mentions of people using OCR techniques to convert
> DVD subtitles (which are just bitmap pictures superimposed over the
> video image) back to editable text again. I cannot name any software
> that would easily allow you to do this, though.

Shouldn't have to OCR subtitles as they are stored as text
already (as I mentioned in the paragraph that you snipped.)

Jukka Aho wrote:

> I've heard vague mentions of people using OCR techniques to convert
> DVD subtitles (which are just bitmap pictures superimposed over the
> video image) back to editable text again. I cannot name any software
> that would easily allow you to do this, though.

A correction: a program called "SubRip" claims to be able to do this:

<http://www.subrip.fr.st/>

--
znark

Richard Crowley wrote:

> Shouldn't have to OCR [DVD] subtitles as they are stored as text
> already (as I mentioned in the paragraph that you snipped.)

The paragraph that was snipped mentioned NTSC closed captions. Closed
captions are a different thing than DVD subtitles.

Closed captions, as stored on a DVD, are textual data, embedded within
the MPEG-2 stream. When playing back a disc, the DVD player will read
this data and encode it on line 21 in the analog signal it outputs. The
CC decoder inside a tv set will, subsequently, decode this data and
display it as superimposed text on top of the video picture. The text is
usually displayed with a crude-looking font, and there are severe
limitations in the character set that can be used.

Not so with DVD subtitles. DVD subtitles are RLE-encoded bitmap images
(actually, in the same 4-color format as menu subpictures), prepared by
the author of the disc. The player will decode these bitmap images and
display them overlaid on top of the video. Since these are really
images, not text, all imaginable characters (glyphs, ideograms, symbols
etc.) and languages can be represented equally well, with nice-looking
fonts.

An "NTSC" (525/59.97) DVD may contain both CC and DVD subtitles. A "PAL"
(625/50) DVD can only have DVD subtitles (in "PAL" environment, you
could theoretically use Teletext subtitling in a fairly similar manner
as CC, but as far as I know, this method of subtitling has not beed
defined in the DVD specification.)

While it is possible to extract the English CC text data from an "NTSC"
DVD, "PAL" DVDs do not have CC at all data. I believe even on R1 DVDs,
many non-English languages only have DVD subtitling, no CC subtitling.

The only way to make real DVD subtitling (not CC data) editable is
OCRing and recreating it - which is what SubRip is created for.

--
znark

AnthonyR

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> "Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>>

>> Kal wrote:
>>> Can someone please tell me how to edit and change, remove text, title,
>>> captions in a video that has been captured from a DVD?
>>>
>>> I have tried to use sw called ArcSoft ShowBiz that came with my HP DVD
>>> writer, but cant seem to actually do this.
>>>
>>> I can add titles however, but thats not what I want.
>>>
>>> any help appreciated.
>>
>> Sounds like a newbie question. If the titles are in the original video,
>> and not a separate element, what do you expect to do about that? You
>> can't go back into someone's project file and change titles. You can put
>> a lower third or any opaque background over top of them, then add your
>> own titles, but you can't remove original titles and reveal the video
>> behind them again.
>>
>> Gary Eickmeier
>
> Well, what's being discussed is possible, to a limited
> extent. There are VirtualDub filters like "RegionRemove"
> that are used to "remove" icons and unmoving text. With
> a little frame by frame touch-up you can achieve very
> good results. While "RegionRemove" is a relatively quick
> filter, any frame by frame manual manipulation is very, very
> time consuming. If you are talking very short clips and you
> are very motivated, it can be done.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

I guess this would be like removing stuff from a picture in photshop, you
can't just remove something since there are no pixels underneath but you can
smudge and copy paste, and clone other similiar areas to cover and fix
pictures, so software for video to do this more automatically would be nice
for future versions,
and you can do do it manually frame by frame if you have time too. I never
used this VirtualDub region remove filter, I had no luck wish Virtual Dub
the few times I tried to use it. I don't know why, I gave it my best shot a
few times, the video always was not accepted, out of range, size incorrect,
codec errors, I gave up on it.
AnthonyR.

"AnthonyR" <nomail@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gary Eickmeier" <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

>>> Sounds like a newbie question. If the titles are in the original video,
>>> and not a separate element, what do you expect to do about that? You
>>> can't go back into someone's project file and change titles. You can put
>>> a lower third or any opaque background over top of them, then add your
>>> own titles, but you can't remove original titles and reveal the video
>>> behind them again.
>>>
>>> Gary Eickmeier
>>
>> Well, what's being discussed is possible, to a limited
>> extent. There are VirtualDub filters like "RegionRemove"
>> that are used to "remove" icons and unmoving text. With
>> a little frame by frame touch-up you can achieve very
>> good results. While "RegionRemove" is a relatively quick
>> filter, any frame by frame manual manipulation is very, very
>> time consuming. If you are talking very short clips and you
>> are very motivated, it can be done.
>>
>> Luck;
>> Ken
>>

> I guess this would be like removing stuff from a picture in photshop, you
> can't just remove something since there are no pixels underneath but you
> can
> smudge and copy paste, and clone other similiar areas to cover and fix
> pictures, so software for video to do this more automatically would be
> nice for future versions,
> and you can do do it manually frame by frame if you have time too. I never
> used this VirtualDub region remove filter, I had no luck wish Virtual Dub
> the few times I tried to use it. I don't know why, I gave it my best shot
> a few times, the video always was not accepted, out of range, size
> incorrect, codec errors, I gave up on it.
> AnthonyR.

Odd that someone so wedded to DV-AVI hasn't become an
expert with VirtualDub. The codec it uses are the same ones
you are using with other programs. If you have a codec that can
read your video properly for your other programs then it should
be providing video that VDub or the VDubMod can handle.

I would normally suggest that you try "Wax", but if you couldn't
get VDub working for your system, you would have little chance
with Wax. Besides, when run it Wax, the Preview function of
RegionRemove doesn't work right.

I wouldn't want anyone to be scarred away from VirtualDub or
VirtualDubMod by AnthonyR's post. These programs are very,
very respected and widely used, by enthusiasts at all levels.

Luck;
Ken

AnthonyR wrote:

> I had no luck wish Virtual Dub the few times I tried to use it.
> I don't know why, I gave it my best shot a few times, the video
> always was not accepted, out of range, size incorrect, codec errors, I
> gave up on it.

All these problems are likely to be easily fixable if you just provide
more information on your video files, the codecs used in them, and the
versions of VirtualDub you have been trying to use.

--
znark